Sustainable weight loss

Vanessa1977
Vanessa1977 Posts: 101
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I was reading another post about liquid diets and below 1200 calories a day and the question that always pops into my mind is
"how can that be a sustainable weight loss" what mindset do people have when they start such diets, what is their ultimate goal.
A quick weightloss?
I'm not judging although I disagree with that particular, but I would like to understand more why people choose that route.

Are you aware when you enter into that kind of 'diet' it won't be a substainable weight loss but you do it because of other benefits?

Inquiring minds want to know, so if you would be so kind as to indulge me I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Replies

• megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    I haven't done any of those quick fix diets for years now but I used to be a sucka for each and everyone of those when I was young. None of them did more then lighten my pocket book and I lost weight for awhile but it came right back. There are real benefits to getting older and wiser.:laugh:
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Just recently I thought about doing a juice fast to help detox my body a bit better. However, a juice fast only should last a day. I would never recommend anyone go beyond one day of liquid fasts as a 'diet'. Your body was adapted to digesting solids and NEEDS the fiber from the skins and meats of the food. As a result, liquid diets will not keep your hunger at bay very well. The key to healthy weight loss is to eat smaller meals more frequently, never let yourself go hungry. I can't see liquid diets achieving this.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    I was reading another post about liquid diets and below 1200 calories a day and the question that always pops into my mind is
    "how can that be a sustainable weight loss" what mindset do people have when they start such diets, what is their ultimate goal.
    A quick weightloss?
    I'm not judging although I disagree with that particular, but I would like to understand more why people choose that route.

Are you aware when you enter into that kind of 'diet' it won't be a substainable weight loss but you do it because of other benefits?

Inquiring minds want to know, so if you would be so kind as to indulge me I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Some people may need to lose weight quickly because they may need an operation and will not be operated on if they are grossly overweight, that of course is in the extreme minority mind.

Regarding liquid diets, I know what you mean, personally I would touch them as it is not something I would want to do for the rest of my life!

Somebody in my workplace lost 5 stone (70lbs) on a liquid only diet, they looked great, however, their weight has been up and down, up and down ever since.

Losing the weight is one thing, we are all on that journey or have been, however, the real tester will be the maintenance stage in my opinion. Keeping the weight at the final result.

That is why it is vitally important that some education goes on regarding this maintenance stage, so many people think they can just go back to eating what they did before once they have lost all their excess.

It is a damned shame if you ask me, because all that hard work and all the goals they strived so very hard for will most like be ruined if they revert back to bad habits.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    I will explain why I am on Medifast. I did it 3 years ago, and i lost 30 pounds in one month. I felt on top of the WORLD. Never in my life have i had so many guys try to get with it or even girls would tell me they thought i had a nice body(i was down to 200 lbs and wore a size 14) but it was waaay too unaffordable (350 dollars a month NOT including your own food you need to provide) I kept that weight off until i got preg, because it made me able to eat smaller meals. A friend of mine had 2.5 months worth of medifast she gave to me and so that's why i'm doing it right now(even though i'm having a hard time losing weight on it) and i honestly feel so good, plenty of energy and the bloating I had, which i never realized i had until i started medifast again, has gone down. Now, I know someone who lost like 150 on medifast, but she also lost hair and lost the luster in her skn...even though she was n what they call maitenence, she still wasn't allowed certain fats that i think you should have. So yes, i'm doing medifast, but still will eat fruit or avacado every once in a while. I stay away from sweets and breads and pastas. And if i eat a carrot, i don't feel like i'm being a horrible cheater, and don't feel the need to self sabotage. I am annoyed that i'm not losing near as much as i had lost last time, but i'm losing, which should be good enough right? haha
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    That is why it is vitally important that some education goes on regarding this maintenance stage, so many people think they can just go back to eating what they did before once they have lost all their excess.

It is a damned shame if you ask me, because all that hard work and all the goals they strived so very hard for will most like be ruined if they revert back to bad habits.

The lady i was talking about that lost like 150 pounds, had this trouble. All she knows is medifast, so when she went off it, she went back to bad eating and huge portions, so I do think that education is key for weightloss instead of just ok heres a shake drink up and lose that weight
This discussion has been closed.