When calorie counting stresses you out...

Options
What do you do? I'm at a perfectly normal weight and my main goals right now are to continue being healthy and to tone up. I'm trying to lose the last few pounds so that I can have a cushion for maintenance. Overall, I'm happy where I'm at. But my birthday is this weekend, and I'm trying to come to terms with having 2 big meals and then cake to deal with. I tend to have a more "all or nothing" mindset, especially when I'm stressed and it's getting to an unhealthy level. I've managed it very well over the past few months on MFP, but in the past it has caused me to stop my exercise and dieting because I didn't want it to go too far.

This week, I've been exercising more and making sure I have a 100-250 calorie deficit on top of my regular deficit to make some room for my birthday meals/drinks. So I'm stressed out about this food and then more stressed about leaving enough of a calorie cushion each day. I'm pretty positive my weekly calories will still be at a deficit, but I'm so focused on not even going over at all for the week. I'm spending too much time thinking about it and worrying about it.

I realize that this is an unhealthy mindset, which is why I'm coming here for a reality check and not anyone who cares about me who would be concerned. Does this happen to anyone else? And what do you do to help manage it? I'm thinking that after the next few weeks I will transition into maintenance and then after I feel comfortable there, I might stop tracking and just use my knowledge from my time on here to keep a looser track of everything. I've had a great experience figuring out how to be healthy through MFP, but given the way my mind works, I don't think it's sustainable long-term.

Replies

• crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I just estimate my calories.....I always go high on estimating as well.....I don't log them or my activities. I let myself monitor and balance them.
  • brighteyes1967
    Options
    Just enjoy your birthday,with family and friends,people who love you for who you are not what you look like,then get back on the mfp as soon as the celebration is over.
    Life is too short:wink: