underarm and back toning?

LizBalen
LizBalen Posts: 4 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone

I'm getting married soon and I'm at the weight that I want to be. The only problem is that the last time I tried my dress on (it's strapless and quite low at the back) I seem to have really obvious flabby bits just under my ams towards my back (hope this makes sense). I was thinking of trying kettlebells to try to tone these bits and was wondering if anyone else uses them or if there are any better ways of toning the arms, shoulders and back area?

Thanks

Replies

• coffeegirl1998
    coffeegirl1998 Posts: 116 Member
    I am interested in this answer too!
  • acstein
    acstein Posts: 55
    From what I've learned through this website and various fitness trainers I come across, toning is mainly diet. Toning is essentially the removal of fat from around the muscle area. Building muscles or specific exercises don't do that. I can't say that there aren't exercises that work the area you are wanting to work, but from my past experience, the exercise alone won't cut it.

Another thing to consider is the cut of the dress may accentuate the part you are referring to. I know when I got married, I weighed about what I do now, but had about 2 inches more fat and a lot less muscle. I had a halter top that accentuated my bust and broad shoulders that no one really noticed the bit of back fat I had squishing out the top of the back of my dress.

I'm sure you are not going to change your dress and I'm sure you look beautiful in your dress. I just want to make sure you know, that you may not get the results you are looking for. I hope you do, and if you find something that works, by all means let me know, I sure could use it!!

Congratulations on your wedding!!!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    I'd like to know this too.... Have to say, the term "flabby bits" made me LOL this morning! :laugh:
  • sadenniston
    sadenniston Posts: 96 Member
    I've used "The Biggest Loser" (Last Chance Workout and Power Sculpt) videos and the have a lot of arm toning moves. My arms have become more defined. I love those videos! Give it a try if you like videos!
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    funny .. I was just saying to myself this morning that even though my weight loss is very (can I stress the word VERY) slow, the one thing I think I actually see a difference in my arms.. that some of the "fat/flabbiness" seems to be toning a little.. I am using Zumba and Shaun T Rockin' Body for the most part.. and both have a lot of arm movements in them - especially the Sculpting and Toning workouts.
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    You might want to try a modified version of the French press exercise. It really helps the underarm flab go away.

Use 5 lb hand weights at first. Start with your the weight in your right hand and your right arm straight up over your head , then reach behind your head with the left hand and hold the right upper arm, then bend your right arm at the elbow so your hand goes down behind your head. Make sure the hand weight is straight up and down so you don't hit your head!

Regardless, you will look beautiful in your wedding dress and congratulations!
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Rows, pull-ups (jumping pull-ups on a box if you can't do regular ones), push-ups, dips, bicep curls, overhead bar work (push-press, overhead squats, front squats, back squats, snatches, cleans, push jerk, shoulder press, etc.)
  • Thanks for addressing this!
This discussion has been closed.