Being Obsessive = Only Way to Truely Succeed

thedarkwombat
thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I am off to a good start so far, but there is one thing I have noticed that has kept me successful so far.

I am constantly "thinking" about what I am eating and what I am going to eat every second of every day. It has become my obsession. I guess you can say this is a good thing but this is till food. I am still obsessed by food but in a good way.

Maybe we can liken this to that nervousness you feel before a big date, a big speech in front of a large group of people, or even when there is a confrontation with someone. That nervousness in many ways is adrenaline, and you can actually use it as fuel.

So my question is, has anyone else noticed that with their success comes obsession, and better yet, can you sue your obsession with food (in a bad way, how I got fat) to channel it to a "good" obsession?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I find that lasts for maybe three weeks. Then you develop habits and become accustomed to what you can eat, portion sizes, etc.

It would really suck to feel that way all the time. I have a family to raise.
  • thedarkwombat
    thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
    It has not gotten in the way of my family. In fact, when I cook, they are eating more healthy too!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    It has not gotten in the way of my family. In fact, when I cook, they are eating more healthy too!

That's great! Cooking is a healthy habit to have. How are you going to make it low-maintenance so you can keep it up when everybody come down with the flu?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    For me, maybe not so much obsession...but I became a munch better planner. It was very important for me to start planning my days out...which I guess could be a kind of obsession. Eventually, the way I ate just became routine though...I maintained for 5 months without logging when I reached my initial goal. I'm logging again right now because I'm actively trying to drop a couple more points in BF and I want to make sure I don't under-eat and lose too much muscle. I've found that when I try to cut without logging I tend to vastly overestimate my consumption and end up under-eating.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Is it an obsession or is it just really engaging with your new way of life?
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Part obsession, part intrigue. I have a new found lust for learning about health. Being more mindful about what I put in my mouth definitely affects me in a positive way. Some people think I'm a little crazy for wanting to eat healthier and be healthier overall. But for me, this isn't about dieting and purposely restricting calories. It is a healthy lifestyle that works for me.
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    I have become completely obsessed with my eating habits and my exercise routine. I have become that way because I love the results. I am always thinking about what I am going to eat that day and if I can make it to the gym. It is all a very delicate balance. I have my cheat days but always keep them in check. I enjoy talking with friends and family regarding my progress and never pass up an opportunity to help them accomplish their goals.
  • I am the same way! I've always kind of been like that, though. For me, in order to stick with something and truly succeed, I have to go all out. So I naturally become kind of obsessed with it. I track EVERYTHING I eat. I even try to track the Costco samples I eat when I shop haha. And I try to be innovative and all out with my fitness routine. I like to educate myself everyday on new ways to be healthy and fit. It's not bad to be "obsessed" it's a great dedication to yourself and your health!
  • How it works for me. I obsess during the early stages until what I'm doing becomes natural.
  • "Obsession is a word lazy people use to describe dedication."

I like to think of myself as dedicated to being healthy rather than obsess :happy:
  • Maureen214
    Maureen214 Posts: 40 Member
    I'm happy that I've logged 26 days in a row. I don't think I'm obsessive, but I'm close; I'm very very aware. Even the two days I went over my 1520 cals I was very very aware and chose it. One it was my husband's birthday and two by logging it, I saw it was only a few hundred over not two thousand like my mind may have thought because if all of my years of truly unrealistic ideas of portions and calories in food. I think and hope there will come a time soon that these will e habits and I won't have to think and plan as much, but I am truly taking it one day at a time.
    And for the family, my husband is training for a marathon so he eats healthy, just larger portions the days he runs 10+ miles and my teenage daughter is a bit finicky, but enjoys most if our dinners And again alters the portions or sometimes I make a different side for her, not an entire meal. I've also learned to cook roughly every other day so that on the days my husband Nd I eat fish which my daughter will NOT eat, there is leftover chicken, turkey, or steak for her to eat. :happy:
  • Maureen214
    Maureen214 Posts: 40 Member
    I'm happy that I've logged 26 days in a row. I don't think I'm obsessive, but I'm close; I'm very very aware. Even the two days I went over my 1520 cals I was very very aware and chose it. One it was my husband's birthday and two by logging it, I saw it was only a few hundred over not two thousand like my mind may have thought because if all of my years of truly unrealistic ideas of portions and calories in food. I think and hope there will come a time soon that these will e habits and I won't have to think and plan as much, but I am truly taking it one day at a time.
    And for the family, my husband is training for a marathon so he eats healthy, just larger portions the days he runs 10+ miles and my teenage daughter is a bit finicky, but enjoys most if our dinners And again alters the portions or sometimes I make a different side for her, not an entire meal. I've also learned to cook roughly every other day so that on the days my husband Nd I eat fish which my daughter will NOT eat, there is leftover chicken, turkey, or steak for her to eat. :happy:
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    I feel way less "obsessed" when I meal prep ahead of time, to some extent, and keep my fridge stocked with diverse healthy options. Then I'm only thinking about what I'm going to eat and cook 1-2 days a week, and the other days I can sort of be on autopilot. Before I started doing this, I felt really overwhelmed with choices, cooking and prepping every single day. Now, if I come home starving, I'll measure out a bowl of roasted veggies and throw some lentils on top- already prepped!- rather than being tempted to pick up something less healthy because it's easier.

I prep veggies, breakfast scrambles, and plan my lunch salads once a week so it's pretty grab-and-go. I'll eat pretty much the same breakfast and lunch all week, and 2 dinner recipes with leftovers for the other days (usually pretty simple, like fish and roasted veggies). This is just for Mon thru Fri- on the weekends I'll usually mix it up, make healthy french toast for breakfast, make "clean-out-the-fridge" meals, etc before it's time to prep for the next week!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    I'm obsessive and driven. I have a huge spreadsheet , i log everythign i eat , all my exercise, notes, calorie deficit, etc. I'm on week 61 and still as obsessed with as i was day 1. And im so glad i logged everytrhing because i can look back and see the progress right before my eyes. My goals have changed since i started, but my obssession has remained strong and hard. Its works best for me.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    I deliberately obsess when I get going on something important so that it becomes part of me :-)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    I deliberately obsess when I get going on something important so that it becomes part of me :-)
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    I am extremely OCD with fitness and foods. down 125lbs need to be. always thinking what needs to change new exercises, lifts, ways of lifting and always trying new foods and combos for macros etc. weigh, measure and take pics constantly.
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    I find that lasts for maybe three weeks. Then you develop habits and become accustomed to what you can eat, portion sizes, etc.

It would really suck to feel that way all the time. I have a family to raise.

Well, I found that it lasts the ENTIRE time I am losing weight, and while I'm maintaining loss. The second I lose the obsession, I start gaining. I was obsessed to the point of thinking about what I would eat/exercise for an entire year when I lost 112lbs, mental health issues and whatnot distracted me from that obsession and I gained a bunch back (87lbs). I got focused again a couple years later, whenever I got "obsessed" I would lose weight - lost 69lbs. When I lost that obsession, I gained back 59lbs. Now I'm losing again, and obsessed yet again. I find it takes an ENORMOUS amount of energy for me to lose weight. If I let up on this energy, I fall back to overeating and being lazy as hell.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    I'm still obsessed with food.. after 3 months.. I dont want to bore everyone with the details, but it happens. I am getting more comfortable with food choices nowadays so maybe it will get better one day.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    I hear ya with that, i've been like this for over 3 months now? I obsess every day. Its good for now but later it may be bad. xD
This discussion has been closed.