Deadlift body split placement?

Options
Just wondering where people deadlifts in their body splits, currently I do a 3 day split,

Day 1

Biceps
Back

Day 2
Chest
Shoulders
Triceps

Day 3
Legs
Abs

Now in my current split i put my dead lifts in day 1 for the back, but ive seen many people on here saying it should be on legs days. Am I find keeping deadlifts on day 1 or should i really move it to day 3?

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    deadlift is a pull. not a legs. keep pull movements together with other pull movements.

that said, is this done weekly? or you go 6x a week and do this split twice? Cause there is little point to doing body parts once a week unless you like slow results. Look into increasing your volume if you can. No reason to not hit everything 2-3x a week.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I asked on here once, and found that most serious, experienced weightlifters do not do deadlifts routinely. I think that they don't because it takes too much out of you, and it is easy to hurt yourself. That said, many programs do include deadlifts.
    I would not do them on a leg day because it would interfere with your squats, and vice-versa. Both are really heavy lifts!
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Lower body days. Deadlifts hit the posterior chain, i.e. hamstrings, glutes, erector spinae hard. It also hit the quads during the first pull when you pull the weight off the floor.

Some bodybuilders will place it on Back Days as it mainly targets the lower back muscles (erector spinae), or they will cut it out completely and do RDL's or Stiff legged deadlifts.

Yeah, doing squats and deadlifts on the same day would be hard, one lift interfering with the other. Yet programs like Starting Strength and Stronglifts place deadlifts on the third lift (squat first exercise to allow some recovery for lower body and lower back between lifts) and only one set of deadlifts with only 5 reps.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    day one
    5/3/1 Bench
    upper body

day two
    5/3/1 Squats
    Core and legs

day three
    Rest

day four
    5/3/1 Overhead press
    Upper body

Day five
    5/3/1 Deadlift
    core and legs

With this I hit all body parts twice per week and still get plenty of rest before hitting each muscle group again.