Organic or not?

Options
13»

Replies

• abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I eat organic as much as possible, but not as much as I'd like. I don't like consuming the residue of industrial farming if I can help it.

Same here. I try to pay special attention to the dirty dozen and dont worry so much about the items on the clean 15.

Good thing organic farming doesn't use pesticides, oh wait a sec...

I dont think you bothered to look where i`m located. Quebec (and Canada in general) have very different farming and food regulations from the US. I grew up in a farming community, and here there are very specific regulations as to what is considered organic and can carry that label. Its not a perfec system by any means, but is controlled more so than our American neighbours.

I don't think you bothered to do any actual research

"7.1.14.6 The use of therapeutic applications of non-synthetic or synthetic substances to control pests, parasites and diseases is permitted, provided that such substances are in accordance with CAN/CGSB-32.311, Organic Production Systems – Permitted Substances Lists."

http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/ongc-cgsb/programme-program/normes-standards/internet/bio-org/principes-principles-eng.html

Under pest management

"the use of pesticides included in CAN/CGSB-32.311, Organic Production Systems - Permitted Substances Lists."

Keep reading that link, it’s for beekeeping (Apiculture), that is not the regulation for all products.
    I said it before, it’s not a perfect system, I know, I’ve known organic farmers and the biggest issue I’ve always had is how close a non-organic farmer who sprays can be to an organic farm and it still be considered organic. That being said I’ve also watched farmers of non-organic apple orchards have to wear gas masks to work for an entire week after spraying because the pesticides are that dangerous. I just can’t stand to have that image in my head and give my 1 1/2year old a non-organic apple (though with organic apples I have to cut them before giving them to him in case of worms, yuck).
    If you don’t want to eat organic for whatever reason that is fine, I was just telling the OP that I try as often as I can to, or at the very least try to do so for the worst culprits (aka the dirty dozen) because I would rather not ingest as many GMO`s, antibiotics, and pesticides as I can, and support the small local farmers from my hometown that don’t use these.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I eat organic as much as possible, but not as much as I'd like. I don't like consuming the residue of industrial farming if I can help it.

Same here. I try to pay special attention to the dirty dozen and dont worry so much about the items on the clean 15.

I dont think you bothered to look where i`m located. Quebec (and Canada in general) have very different farming and food regulations from the US. I grew up in a farming community, and here there are very specific regulations as to what is considered organic and can carry that label. Its not a perfec system by any means, but is controlled more so than our American neighbours.

"7.1.14.6 The use of therapeutic applications of non-synthetic or synthetic substances to control pests, parasites and diseases is permitted, provided that such substances are in accordance with CAN/CGSB-32.311, Organic Production Systems – Permitted Substances Lists."

http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/ongc-cgsb/programme-program/normes-standards/internet/bio-org/principes-principles-eng.html

Under pest management

"the use of pesticides included in CAN/CGSB-32.311, Organic Production Systems - Permitted Substances Lists."

Keep reading that link, it’s for beekeeping (Apiculture), that is not the regulation for all products.
    I said it before, it’s not a perfect system, I know, I’ve known organic farmers and the biggest issue I’ve always had is how close a non-organic farmer who sprays can be to an organic farm and it still be considered organic. That being said I’ve also watched farmers of non-organic apple orchards have to wear gas masks to work for an entire week after spraying because the pesticides are that dangerous. I just can’t stand to have that image in my head and give my 1 1/2year old a non-organic apple (though with organic apples I have to cut them before giving them to him in case of worms, yuck).
    If you don’t want to eat organic for whatever reason that is fine, I was just telling the OP that I try as often as I can to, or at the very least try to do so for the worst culprits (aka the dirty dozen) because I would rather not ingest as many GMO`s, antibiotics, and pesticides as I can, and support the small local farmers from my hometown that don’t use these.

Section 7 was for beekeeping, Pest management section 6.1 was for everything, that allowed pesticides
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options

Under pest management

Section 7 was for beekeeping, Pest management section 6.1 was for everything, that allowed pesticides
    6.1 is for Livestock, but whatever. You obviously get a kick out of picking fights on MFP, look at your history of posts. This is my last post here because I’d rather spend my time being supportive, not defensive. Have a good day and good luck with all your fitness goals.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    ^and the towel has been thrown in. *DING DING DING*
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but just because something comes from a "farmer's market" doesn't mean it wasn't grown with pesticides.

I get most of our food (meat, vegetables, fruit and eggs) from the farmers market, so it's mostly organic, hormone-free, pesticide-free, etc. I started doing this to support the local farms, but appreciate keeping my kids away from the hormones and pesticides. We also drink organic milk.

Well, our farmers market has a website where they have information about each farm that has a table there, and what they offer. So I know that the ones we buy from are in fact pesticide-free. It's also pretty obvious by all the bugs I have to pick off the food before preparing it. But you're right in the fact that just because it's at a farmers market doesn't mean it's pesticide-free in general. We have a large farmers market in the city near us, and I'm fairly certain that things are different there.
  • Crohns2013
    Crohns2013 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    We don't buy organic much, we have very very few organic options here, and the prices are crazy. Is really cold here, so we can only buy locally grown veggies during the summer (for maybe 3 months) and no fruit grows here at all. So buying local isn't an option either, unless its meat.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I stock on my veggies and fruit once per week at the farmers market and when possible, I buy local and organic. Some 80 percent of my veggies and fruit will be like that, the rest is either not locally grown or nothing organic available. I buy organic because it usually tastes better, like courgette, spinach, asparagus, lettuce, cauliflower. young potatoes, apples, pears, berries etc etc etc For meat, I buy at the local butcher shop and if possible, I also get bio/organic - but that is not always on offer. With meat I do so for the same reason, it just tastes better. But overall, I don't obsess. If I can't get organic then I buy regular.
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I buy mine from my local fruit & vege shop. I'm not fussed about organic because its more expensive and I'm a uni student. I do think a lot of companies use it as a marketing tool.