Pregnant weightlifter

Options

Replies

• MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I've lifted through 7mos but stopped when I started blowing up like a blimp. I became self conscious. I wasn't doing that particular exercise (pictured above) but doing all my other lifting. I felt good so figured my baby felt good, too. She's 11 now. I was lazy last pregnancy and it was a regret!
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think every woman knows her own limitations and it's great that this woman has kept up her routine through most of her pregnancy. Good for her! People just need to mind their own business when it comes to other peoples' bodies.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    one of my friends on my friends list is pregnant and continuing to do heavy lifting.... she's great

nothing wrong with it if you lifted prior to getting pregnant and there are no complications of pregnancy that make lifting dangerous, plus your midwife/obgyn knows what you're doing and can advise you about if/when/how you can do it safely
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Women turn catty and jealous when they see another woman who is more awesome. Stop the presses.

You know most of the people criticizing her are overweight moms who used pregnancy as an excuse to eat for 6 and turn into couch potatoes. Throwing stones at this woman is just their attempt at making themselves feel better about what they've done to themselves.

Exactly. It's more than likely the people who wouldn't get off their as$es and lift regardless of the circumstance (along with the women who sat on their as$es for 9 months while pregnant using it as an excuse not to do anything at ALL and wondered why they gained more weight than they should've.....)
    Just another reason for people to try to make others feel bad about their accomplishments.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I hate that the moment you get pregnant, everyone in the world automatically has an opinion about what the mother should or should not do with her body. It's not like she decided to take up MMA fighting. She is lifting weights that she has probably been doing for quite a while so the chances of her injuring herself are probably pretty low.
  • Power_Man77
    Options
    "Normal" pregnant women lift all kinds of things -- heavy bags of groceries, squirming 60 pound children, strollers loaded with both heavy groceries and children -- and no one seems to think it's odd.

You are correct
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    "Normal" pregnant women lift all kinds of things -- heavy bags of groceries, squirming 60 pound children, strollers loaded with both heavy groceries and children -- and no one seems to think it's odd.

^^ this

and pregnant women are just as susceptible to injury as anyone else walking the planet. should she stop walking on the sidewalk too because she might trip and fall or accidentally step off the side of it? No.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I think she is amazing! I wish I would have kept working out through my pregnancy and been as dedicated as her. Also there are studies showing the benefits of working out for the babies brain development and over all health not just for the mom. So to me she gets an A+ for her 2 in 1 combo.
  • Power_Man77
    Options
    Ok we have a armless bodybuilder and a pregnant weightlifter

NO EXCUSES FOR ME!!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I think people need to mind their own business. :grumble:

It's not for me, I wouldn't do it, but then again, 24 years ago, when I was a young 21 yr old girl, I used to play frisbee barefoot in the park (a NY park at that) with the Dead, CDB and the Allman's right up until the weekend I gave birth :laugh: :blushing:

Meh.

When I had my 2nd child, I was a bit older (26) and had more mommy things going on and was more concerned with getting through the pregnancy than with how well I actually did it. The first one, there was plenty of room to spare, the 2nd, not so much.

Again, I say, meh. :drinker:
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Ok we have a armless bodybuilder and a pregnant weightlifter

NO EXCUSES FOR ME!!

Exactly!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I think she's awesome!

My only fear of lifting so late in pregnancy would be birthing the baby at the bottom of a squat.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Saw this story yesterday on FB. Liked it.
    Saw the backlash. Was reminded that sometimes people are just plain HATERS!

A day later... Still like it, and pray that if/when I am 8 months pregnant I have the motivation to still be as active as I am now.

Kudos to this lady! She kicks major *kitten*!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I lifted all through all my pregnancies, I don't see the big deal.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My only concern is this: I'm curious as to how the increased size of the lower abdomen affects her center of gravity/equilibrium and range of motion during specific exercises. Would it make her more prone to lower back injuries as a result? I don't know, but I would see it as a concern.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not new to her, and she has proper form, she's good to go!

I wish I had that motivation while I was pregnant. My first, I thought it was a free-for-all and gained 50lbs. My 2nd, I was a LITTLE more cautions and gained 30.. lol

She looks better pregnant than I do any day of the year!
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough I haven't kept up as much as I would have liked but I was at a festival in town the other day (oh and I am 36wks pregnant with no.3) and there was a mock highland games and they had kettle bell Over head presses and the competition was to see who could do the most reps. Different weights for both men and women. Anyway, not only am I uber competitive but I love to swing my kettlebell about so I thought I'd give it a shot. I have sciatic problems with this pregnancy so was hobbling about on crutches and they certainly looked at me rather oddly but let me take part. Lo and behold I won the female competition with the most reps - 6 of the 24kg kb.
    It reminded me that I should be doing it more and have been doing a 10-15 mins kb workout routine since every morning and feeling great with it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not new to her, and she has proper form, she's good to go!

I wish I had that motivation while I was pregnant. My first, I thought it was a free-for-all and gained 50lbs. My 2nd, I was a LITTLE more cautions and gained 30.. lol

She looks better pregnant than I do any day of the year!

I can agree with the first part of that. Exercising while pregnant like that probably is safe and healthy but only for an experienced lifter/athlete who was already amazingly fit going into it and has a fundamental understanding of the right and wrong way of doing things. If you didn't have all of these things working for you going into it, then it's best to wait until after the delivery.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Has anyone noticed how bulky she is?
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    As long as her doctor is good with it, that's all that matters...I wish I could have continued to work out during my last pregnancy but I had so many medical issues that it wasn't in the cards for me...