How to run with gaining as little muscle as possible?

Options

Replies

• JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've ran many races including 2 half marathons and 1 full one. Then of course there is all the running in between. I used to average about 50 miles a week. The only thing it did to my legs was make them sexy. :love:
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It is hard for a woman to gain enough muscle to look bulky. I have been running for a couple of months now. I am still overweight, but just today I got a complement on how nice my legs look. So just run and enjoy it.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    This is all you need to know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Guys, she's 18 - stop being jerks. No, you will not get bulky.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    This misinformation may have come from fitness guru, trainer to the stars - Tracy Anderson.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Distance running, no ... sprints and HIT type training, will give you sprinter's legs ...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Distance running, no ... sprints and HIT type training, will give you sprinter's legs ...

Not without a lot of specific weight training, nutrition and genetics it won't.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    All you gotta do there is run.

To really gain much muscle, especially as a female, you have to really have the right diet and workouts for it. No amount of running will bulk you up.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

And that "nutrition" would likely need to include a caloric surplus.

Accidentally gaining appreciable muscle in the legs (or really anywhere) is remarkably rare and completely reversible.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Accidentally gaining appreciable muscle in the legs (or really anywhere) is remarkably rare and completely reversible.

J... Isn't it past your bedtime? Still working days?

So glad to see you didn't delete your account. :wink:
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    He runs 10 miles a day and nothing else.

Phil+Heath+(6).jpg
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

^dis
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I avoid running to because I dont want to get bulky.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    uh, running 3 miles twice a week won't bulk you near as much as eating 3 big macs twice a week - just saying.
    i've been running for a year now, and although i notice a difference in the shape of my legs, there isn't any more or less substance to them really. just less flab. and i eat around maintenance. probably. i'd rather run 2h than spent 20 mins logging calories. but that's just me :-p
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I run a lot and my legs are not muscular at all, I'm trying to build muscle in them a little, muscle is better than fat in them but it'll take me time, I don't want body builder legs but a nice little muscle tone in them is sexy imo...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

J... Isn't it past your bedtime? Still working days?

So glad to see you didn't delete your account. :wink:

Yes.

Have never heard of someone in my position working nights. Would be interesting.

Me too...sometimes. Actually, I'm more surprised that my account wasn't deleted for me.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Really?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Really?

No...
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    hi, im gonna start running about 3 miles once or twice a week, but i will be walking some of it the first few weeks until i can fully run them all. tips on doing this without gaining a lot of muscle and weight? i want to have skinny legs.. not super muscular.

Just don't run to the refrigerator too much and you'll be just fine. I promise you, the more you do it the harder you have to work at keeping weight on. I have to eat up to 5,000 calories some day to avoid losing weight. Running does not make you bulky or gain muscle. Extra food does that. Running will probably lean out your legs and make them look much much nicer.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Your goal all depends on your diet. No amount of exercise or any type of exercise will you bulky or buff. It's all diet. When I try to lose weight or gain weight, I train the same, the only thing that changes is my diet. You want to lose weight, you have to concentrate on your diet. You want to gain weight, you have to concentrate on your diet. Your progress all depends on your diet!