On the right track?

Options
Hello everyone. I'm not exactly new to myfitnesspal, but I've never been to the website before now. I've been poking through some forums and reading a little here and there, and it's encouraged me to post a topic of my own, that being, am I on the right track with my routine? Let me go into some detail...

It started back in January, I was 200lbs. 5' 5", 22 years old. Due to a change in my life, my eating habits began to change.
- I drink nothing but water. Period.
- I cut fast food out of my diet completely.
- I refuse to eat past 7pm (bedtime is 10pm!)
- I snack throughout the day.

Then I found myfitnesspal and even more changes were made.
- I drink 74oz of water daily.
- I (try) to consume between 1200 and 1500 calories a day, it's been difficult lately.
- I drink unsweetened oolong tea, 24oz a day.
- I take iron and B12 supplements.

Now I weigh 170lbs just from dieting alone. But progress has slowed, and I know that I'm going to have to incorporate exercise into my routine as well. I plan on walking 2 miles in the morning, and 2 more in the evening.

Let me explain what I eat daily, and this is where is gets difficult...

Breakfast- 540 calories
Special K Protein Bar
Honey bunches of oats cereal
Slim Fast

Snacks- (3 times a day) 445 Calories
Baby carrots
Almonds
Yogurt

Dinner- varies
For dinner I try and just use the rest of my calorie room, but to be honest, it's usually 3 or 4 eggs, veggie stew, or soup. Anything high in protein.

So, just by this information alone, if I stick with my calorie intake goal and exercise goal, does it seem okay? Are the foods I'm eating healthy? I suppose I just want an outside opinion.

Thank you.

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Well done on your weight loss so far and I like your plan. The only thing that jumped out at me was:
    - I (try) to consume between 1200 and 1500 calories a day, it's been difficult lately.

If you're finding this hard to stick to, you may need to add a few hundred calories. Try upping it for a couple of weeks and see how you feel. Starting to struggle is a sign that something, somewhere needs tweaking.

As long as there's a calorie deficit you'll continue to lose weight.

For nutrition: fruits & vegetables, fibre.... then carbs, fat, and protein as per your macro settings on the app.

Good luck! :smile:
  • mrshudson813
    mrshudson813 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have some good ideas. No plan works for every single person. I'd say try what you have in mind and if you continue to see changes in a couple weeks then you know it's working. If not, try something else. But you will have to exercise. Try strength/resistance training along with your walks and that should give you a healthy balance.