Your Daily Summary - help please Net Question

Options
Am I suppose to eat to your boarder of the net? Or go into the Net? (I realize never over net). But which is the best for weight loss? In goal or in net?

example:
Your Daily Summary >>> at top of your page-then it says exercise and food then below it
example: 1300 (calories) GOAL >>729 FOOD - 504 EXERCISE = 225 NET
1300 GOAL 729 FOOD - 504 EXERCISE = 225 NET
_________________________________________________||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
stop eating at goal?? ^^^ or go ahead and eat into the net???
GOAL 1300 | NET 225
^^^
boarder

I'm having a hard time understanding and for some reason have maintained my weight for over a month. I am doing something wrong and there must be a simple answer to Your Daily Summary?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by boarder? Boarder being someone who pays to live in your home or a guy out surfing but your net calories for the day should be whatever your budget is.

If you budget is 1300 then your net at the end of the day should be 1300 but you have to be cautious with over estimating exercise when you start eating those calories back to make up the difference. Exercise is something done intentionally for it's fitness value and a lot of online calculators, MFP included, give exaggerated numbers so it's wise not to eat them all back.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Add your exercise calories to your goal calories.

If goal = 1300 and exercise = 500 , then you must eat 1800 a day.

Good luck! :smile:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I answered your other question too.

You should be eating as close to your goal as possible including net.

On days you don't workout you should be eating to 1300.

On days you do, your net should be the same as your goal. So with the example you gave, you should be eating 1300 plus the 504 of exercise. That will give you a total of 1804, but you net will be 1300.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Your net and your goal should be the same. So if your goal is 1300 and you eat 700 but burn 500 in exercise, you are only netting 200. You want to net 1300 so should eat 1100 more. Does that make sense?

The reason is that MFP sets you at a goal with a built in deficit. If you exercise, you increase the deficit more, which could make it too big (bigger isn't necessarily better, you need to eat enough). As the poster above said, MFP may over estimate calories burned in which case you could choose to eat back only a portion of them.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    This sound like the strategy "eat more to lose". I'm sure I understand now. I haven't been too far off goal or net. The exercise calculations are crazy. I have a Fitbit and like it but sometimes wonder about it calculations. Thank you for the quickly responding.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by boarder? Boarder being someone who pays to live in your home or a guy out surfing but your net calories for the day should be whatever your budget is.

If you budget is 1300 then your net at the end of the day should be 1300 but you have to be cautious with over estimating exercise when you start eating those calories back to make up the difference. Exercise is something done intentionally for it's fitness value and a lot of online calculators, MFP included, give exaggerated numbers so it's wise not to eat them all back.

boarder ___________|//////////////////////| <<<net
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options

You're misspelling the word, the correct spelling for the word you want is 'border.' That poster was just poking a little fun.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

You're misspelling the word, the correct spelling for the word you want is 'border.' That poster was just poking a little fun.

Boarder or border I still don't get how that comes into eating your budget or your net? Eating your border doesn't make much sense either.