Sigh...I hate binge eating..

I love that my family is so supportive of my diet, but my mom still buys a ton of junk food. She claims it's "only for her to eat", but she doesn't even eat it sometimes! And it's so tempting. She buys cookies and all kinds of junk food and sigh it's so yummy...so I just ate like a bunch of those cookies. Ughhhh. :(

It bothers me so much too because my mom is overweight too and always says she's gunna start eating healthier, but then comes home somedays from the store with all this junk food. What do I do? :\

Also how do you not eat when you're depressed and emotional? Cause I do that all the time and I don't know how to stop. :(

Replies

• I know exactly how you feel! My mom does the same thing. She buys all these cookies and sweets when i'm trying to avoid those sorts of things. My mom also claims to want to lose weight and say she's dieting but then she comes home with the stuff and at times, especially when i'm not emotionally sound, i can't help myself. She always called is a 'treat', but by my mothers definition these treats appear in the house more often then not. When the junk food isn't around i don't miss it, but sometimes i wish i lived alone for the sole reason of not having junk food at easy access.

My whole family is overweight and they always have been. I managed to make this huge change and i feel like sometimes they just don't care and they just buy all this junk food thinking that it doesn't bother me or that i like that they buy it. But i feel like i am in no position to tell them they can't buy the junk foods because its their choice if they want to live that way.

Sorry i have no advice regarding emotional eating. Im pretty bad when it comes to letting my emotions take over. And i know form many experiences that a binge makes me feel 5 times worse.
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    I know exactly how you feel! My mom does the same thing. She buys all these cookies and sweets when i'm trying to avoid those sorts of things. My mom also claims to want to lose weight and say she's dieting but then she comes home with the stuff and at times, especially when i'm not emotionally sound, i can't help myself. She always called is a 'treat', but by my mothers definition these treats appear in the house more often then not. When the junk food isn't around i don't miss it, but sometimes i wish i lived alone for the sole reason of not having junk food at easy access.

My whole family is overweight and they always have been. I managed to make this huge change and i feel like sometimes they just don't care and they just buy all this junk food thinking that it doesn't bother me or that i like that they buy it. But i feel like i am in no position to tell them they can't buy the junk foods because its their choice if they want to live that way.

Sorry i have no advice regarding emotional eating. Im pretty bad when it comes to letting my emotions take over. And i know form many experiences that a binge makes me feel 5 times worse.
    Yeah...it sucks. Hopefully we can both get to our goal weights even with all of these obstacles.
  • I sure do hope so. I try really hard to remind myself that i don't want to go back to being the wight i was and that the way my family eats or 'treats' themselves pretty much promotes an unhealthy life style.

Some days are easier then others. Night time is my worst. Im out all day at work or at the gym and then i come home and i see the cookies lying on the coffee table. I only win about half the battles. The worst part is because im so close to my goal wight i feel like one day at maintenance calories or one day being a bit over wont hurt, but one day turns into more then one day pretty fast.

Good luck though, i know its hard but hang in there!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    I love these posts. I love how the word binge gets thrown around everytime someone eats something they perceive as bad. lol. girl you ate cookies. it'll be alright.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    speaking as the mother in this equation: tell her you're going to the supermarket with her next time.

Then go. Every fattening thing she puts in the trolley, put it back. Tell her she's allowed ONE treat to keep in her bedroom. The sheer amusement factor of hearing that from her child will hopefully save you from a clip round the ear at that point! LOL.

You are going to have to retrain her. She's in a rut, she buys these things automatically without really realising she can leave them. Basically she's got herself locked into providing them for the family because she thinks someone will kick up a fuss if she doesn't. You have to show her what is happening and put those foods back on the shelves.

She has to start thinking of yummy meals to have. another thing you can do: get a recipe book full of delicious low fat meals, and one a week, cook dinner yourself: this will expose her to new things.

I had a family come to stay where the 20 yr old daughter did all the cooking for us while we worked at the orchard. It was fantastic, and I got exposed to sooo many new and delicious dinners that were quite slimming. it was great. :)
  • xoTalim
    speaking as the mother in this equation: tell her you're going to the supermarket with her next time.

Then go. Every fattening thing she puts in the trolley, put it back. Tell her she's allowed ONE treat to keep in her bedroom. The sheer amusement factor of hearing that from her child will hopefully save you from a clip round the ear at that point! LOL.

You are going to have to retrain her. She's in a rut, she buys these things automatically without really realising she can leave them. Basically she's got herself locked into providing them for the family because she thinks someone will kick up a fuss if she doesn't. You have to show her what is happening and put those foods back on the shelves.

She has to start thinking of yummy meals to have. another thing you can do: get a recipe book full of delicious low fat meals, and one a week, cook dinner yourself: this will expose her to new things.

I had a family come to stay where the 20 yr old daughter did all the cooking for us while we worked at the orchard. It was fantastic, and I got exposed to sooo many new and delicious dinners that were quite slimming. it was great. :)
    My mom is super strict. She buys everything in the store if it's on special, pretty much. But she doesn't like buying healthier stuff because it costs more. If I took something out of the cart and put it back, she'd yell at me in the store and I hate causing scenes in public.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    eating disorders anonymous has awesome support groups
  • bridgie101

My mom is super strict. She buys everything in the store if it's on special, pretty much. But she doesn't like buying healthier stuff because it costs more. If I took something out of the cart and put it back, she'd yell at me in the store and I hate causing scenes in public.

I've seen people like this. They need to understand that chippies are not food, and therefore purchasing them is burning cash.

they also need to understand that fresh vegetables are cheaper than tv dinners.

I always used to buy on special but I have now learned I CAN buy cheap if I buy good quality and then stick to portion sizes. Eg chicken - 100 g of the good stuff, not 500g of crumbed deep fryable stuff. Not that I've ever sunk quite that low but you get the idea.

If she's on a diet, maybe the people giving her the diet can help her prepare shopping lists? Where is dad in all this? Can he put a bit of pressure on her?

Maybe you and dad go shopping and leave her at home. And if dad's out of the picture, maybe you go shopping and leave mum at home. Tell her it's for your health class at school: home economics. Tell her it's a school project. :D

PS she sounds like a child. If she has tantrums in the supermarket as you try to put chippies and cookies back, tell her she's making herself look bad. Heh heh. then stand back. :D
  • scarlettpower
    scarlettpower Posts: 10 Member
    Yes emotional eating and late night snacking is my down fall as well. Especially because I suffer from insomnia...the longer i law awake, the more tempting all the food in my house becomes.
  • xoTalim

I've seen people like this. They need to understand that chippies are not food, and therefore purchasing them is burning cash.

they also need to understand that fresh vegetables are cheaper than tv dinners.

I always used to buy on special but I have now learned I CAN buy cheap if I buy good quality and then stick to portion sizes. Eg chicken - 100 g of the good stuff, not 500g of crumbed deep fryable stuff. Not that I've ever sunk quite that low but you get the idea.

If she's on a diet, maybe the people giving her the diet can help her prepare shopping lists? Where is dad in all this? Can he put a bit of pressure on her?

Maybe you and dad go shopping and leave her at home. And if dad's out of the picture, maybe you go shopping and leave mum at home. Tell her it's for your health class at school: home economics. Tell her it's a school project. :D

PS she sounds like a child. If she has tantrums in the supermarket as you try to put chippies and cookies back, tell her she's making herself look bad. Heh heh. then stand back. :D
    Nah, my mom runs the house. What she says, goes. She won't let me or anyone else do the shopping cause she thinks we'll spend too much.
  • dayleparks
    dayleparks Posts: 9 Member
    This is something I think a lot of us struggle with. Sometimes we backslide a little, but it's not worth beating ourselves up over it. Because we really have made a lot of positive changes, and that is progress. I have discovered that if I really need something like a cookie, I can safely substitute a couple of handfuls of Fiber One's new chocolate cereal, which is actually very tasty and satisfying. It takes care of my sweet tooth, and the bonus is that it is filling, which helps me to stop eating. It is a healthy treat I allow for myself if I really am craving something sweet and chocolatey. Weight Watchers ice cream bars (the vanilla with caramel center, and dark chocolate coating) are also an excellent go-to treat that you don't have to feel guilty about later. Just try to have one, though! Allow that binges are going to happen from time to time, but they can't erase your healthy progress and your success.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    I love these posts. I love how the word binge gets thrown around everytime someone eats something they perceive as bad. lol. girl you ate cookies. it'll be alright.

misuse of 'depressed' is a pet peeve of mine also.

OP just... kick up a stink about it. "MUM! stop buying so much crap >:( Let me have a say in what we eat" --something like that.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Sorry to hear of your dilemma. Binging is a horrid thing and its a vicious circle of emotion, binge, depression, emotion....... Ultimately yes it maybe is only a couple of cookies, but we feel so disillusioned at our inability to refrain that we start the circle again and again. I don't think you can control what someone else buys, it's their choice you can't make someone ear healthily. Would it be possible for you to be given some grocery money to buy your own things? If you can find satisfying foods that you enjoy hopefully you won't feel the need for these extras! Sometimes our calorie level is reduced to a unsustainable level again preparing the binging. Perhaps it would be worth eating at a level you find manageable, at least 1700 calories. Maybe exercise calories also need to be replaced! Seems like it would be worth trying a higher calorie level which you can manage successfully over the months rather going for a quick fix which can be a route to failure.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Also how do you not eat when you're depressed and emotional? Cause I do that all the time and I don't know how to stop. :(

You're going to do SOMETHING when you're depressed and emotional, be it eat, cry, etc.. replace eating with something else like running or beating a punching bag, etc. After a while that kinda becomes second nature, helps with stress eating a lot.
  • bridgie101
    Nah, my mom runs the house. What she says, goes. She won't let me or anyone else do the shopping cause she thinks we'll spend too much.

Bother.

All I can say is you're doing a REALLY good job, and you probably will meet resistance as you get slimmer, because you are proving that it is possible to people who prefer to think that it is not. It's like quitting smoking: all the other smokers suddenly start offering cigarettes. Some kind of animal instinct.

You've done a very good job so far, so keep on trucking. :)
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Is it possible she would let you replace maybe 2 junk foods with 1 healthier cheaper option, that would be a compromise. Mums respond better to suggestions and small changes :-)
    But also you have to learn some willpower. I used to get upset when hubby/kids brought crap home and dive in and eat it. Now I just read the info on the lable, when you see how much sugar carbs and calories and what is e440 e330 e129 e123 e322 e307 e500 (from some cookies at work) who wants to eat that anyway. Read before you eat, its a real eye opener!
  • I think the best way to stave off a binge is not under-eating. It's a lot easier to binge or overeat when your body is extra hungry. I also noticed that once I quit restricting certain foods or thinking of them as bad or forbidden, I no longer felt like over-eating them. If I want ice cream, I let myself have it and enjoy it. And I find I'm satisfied after a small scoop instead of needing to eat the whole container. I have struggled with all the eating disorders for a long time and have spent enormous amounts of money and time on therapy, dietary counseling, and residential treatment - and it still took me several additional years to be able to be to do this. So don't be hard on yourself if it doesn't click right away - just keep going forward.

As for turning to food when you're sad or lonely or angry, etc., try to do something else for that comfort. Go for a walk, read a book, take a bath, journal, call a friend, etc. It really helps to take away the emotional importance you have given food.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    What do you do? You learn what portion control is and you use it. Sorry you do not sound like a binge eater to me you sound like someone who needs to learn a little self control (I do have friends who are binge eaters and this is not a binge) Log the cookies, and learn from it and move on.

It is not the end of the world.