Looking for suggestions

Options
I am looking for suggestions on where to go from here. I am running my first 5K on Saturday and I plan to run another in February for Autism awareness. (I usually do the 1 mile walk but this year I plan on running the 5K) I want to compare my times to see how much I improve. I want to ultimately do a mud run in the spring. I realize I need to run to improve my 5K times but what else should I add to my workouts to prepare for the mud run. I thought about trying insanity to up my fitness level but I am not sure I am ready for that yet.

Replies

• svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Add in some type of resistance training. Good heavy weights to get stronger or bodyweight stuff for more functionality. Try some plyo workouts or some HIIT. The BeFit program on the YouTube channel BeFit has some good 10 minute cardio segments, and Fitnessblender.com has some great workouts.
  • svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, mud runs are short spurts of running from obstacle to obstacle. I would be more concerned with the ability to crawl under/over things, and pull your body up. But if you want to improve your 5K time, you gotta add lots of [slow] miles to your weekly running for a sustained amount of time.
  • dcapulet
    dcapulet Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a mud run, so I don't know what it consists of. Are their obstacles or just running?

You can try speed training to increase your speed/time; longer runs to build endurance; strength training for strenght gains, and cross training to avoid injuries. General information, I know, but I'm not sure what you're looking for.