How many cals in one meal?

Options
I have a question and honestly, I'm only asking because I already have a firm belief in mind, but hey, maybe that is wrong. So, what better way to get varied answers than to ask on here? I could be wrong or maybe someone has info I could see. So, here goes.... How many calories do you typically consume in one meal AND do you feel there is a maximum that is 'healthy' to consume in one sitting? Long story short, I was told emphatically today that consuming 1600 calories in one meal was 'unhealthy' and 'dangerous'. For ANYONE. Irregardless of their size, sex, eating patterns, athleticism, etc. So, what's the consensus?

Replies

• bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    If you did it regularly it would probably be bad.

If it was deep fried and nutrient free it would definitely be bad.

Me? I wouldn't do it often but I would be happy to save up for it at, say, a party. It's very easy to eat 1600 cals at a meal if you're not on a diet. All you need is a normal entree, a normal main, a normal dessert and a few glasses of wine and you're well over 1600.

and I don't see people dropping like flies from it. :)
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Yeah. That's what I feel about it. It's not something I would do often, at least not on purpose, but it can be done and there are some people who would eat like that on purpose. The meal in question was two sandwiches, a side, and a shake. It wasn't me, but the harsh criticism of the person who consumed it was what bugged me. :/
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It's ok to splurge once in a while. I easily ate 1500 calories in the dinner I ate for my Bday last week and I'm still ticking - lol. It certainly won't do you any good diet-wise to consume that much on a regular basis, but you can treat yourself occasionally to a big meal if you wish :o)

As far as what is a normal meal for me? Most days are like this 300 calories for breakfast, 400-500 for lunch and 400-550 for supper with a little reserved for small snacks. I'm on the 1200 calorie plan plus I eat back my exercise calories. For someone on a higher calorie plan, their numbers would be different. I don't think there is any set "healthy" number of calories to stick with per meal, just make the total fall at or slightly under your net calories per day and you should lose weight.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    On average my meals are about 875 calories, 3500calories/4meals. I don't think eating 1600 calories in one sitting in unhealthy unless what your eating is proccess and doesnt have much nutrients in it. I'm pretty sure a 1600 calories meal consisting of cheeseburgers and pizza is more healthy than a 300 calories salad with grilled chicken if you give it to a starving child in a 3rd world country.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I don't think the lady in question was on any kind of diet. This was just an 'observation' by a friend who said she noticed what she was eating and then felt the need to post on it. I told her that they have no idea of her life or her situation. Maybe she only eats one or two big meals a day, maybe she was bulking, maybe she had been to the hospital and couldn't eat for testing or something and was just really hungry. Either way, IMHO, what she ate was fine and no big deal. Not something you would probably want to do long term unless it fit in your lifestyle. But her issue was that no one ever should eat ANY kind of food over like, 1600 cals. I basically said that at the end of the day, she eats the way that fits her life. If that includes all the foods she loves and fits into her plan at the end of the day, I didn't see how it was an issue. So to sit and judge her not knowing her based on one meal she saw her eat, was stupid. Because to me, it is. But she kept coming back to that amount of calories in one sitting. It wasn't until later she said 'fast food'. But again, to me it's no different. I feel food is food and though some may be more nutrient dense than others, it's all about balance.
  • 4h2orat
    Options
    It depends on your caloric needs and weight loss goals. I am about 140 lbs + or - 5 lbs. For weight loss, I reduce to a 1700 to 1800 calorie a day diet, = up to 600 calories per meal 3bx daily--or more like 500 per meal plus healthy snacks in between totaling no more than 300 calories. For maintenance calories I need about 2300 per day, so I can up the meals to about 700 calories with 200 in between for snacks. You need to figure out your maintenance calories--where you do not really lose or gain weight--and then subtract 3500 calories per week for each pound per week you want to lose. 1 lb per week loss = 3500 calorie deficit = 500 daily. You can add calories back (more food) for calories burned during exercise. So, if you burn 500 calories on a cardio machine, etc., you can eat 500 more calories that day. Google for a calorie needs calculator to get an estimate for your sex, weight and activity level. Hope that makes sense. It worked for me. I lost 20+ lbs and averaged 1 to 1.5 lbs a week weight loss during my weight reduction period. Now I only reduce calories as necessary to keep my weight around 140. (i.e., after a recent vacation I gained a few pounds...LOL). Tracking all my foods on Myfitnesspal was the key--it educated me on thecalories in foods I eat, the good and bad nutrients, and to adjust my portions/serving sizes. Hope that helps and good luck with your fitness goals!
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I don't think the lady in question was on any kind of diet. This was just an 'observation' by a friend who said she noticed what she was eating and then felt the need to post on it. I told her that they have no idea of her life or her situation. Maybe she only eats one or two big meals a day, maybe she was bulking, maybe she had been to the hospital and couldn't eat for testing or something and was just really hungry. Either way, IMHO, what she ate was fine and no big deal. Not something you would probably want to do long term unless it fit in your lifestyle. But her issue was that no one ever should eat ANY kind of food over like, 1600 cals. I basically said that at the end of the day, she eats the way that fits her life. If that includes all the foods she loves and fits into her plan at the end of the day, I didn't see how it was an issue. So to sit and judge her not knowing her based on one meal she saw her eat, was stupid. Because to me, it is. But she kept coming back to that amount of calories in one sitting. It wasn't until later she said 'fast food'. But again, to me it's no different. I feel food is food and though some may be more nutrient dense than others, it's all about balance.

Some people keep themselvse on the straight and narrow by criticising brutally anyone who doesn't do it. You get it a lot in small towns "ooh" they whisper. "so-and-so went to town without makeup on!" "ooh!" and they all gasp in horror. it's just a small town mentality of a rather blinkered intellect. You won't change it. Just be glad you don't have to live with it. :D

PS in season when i'm working my butt off, I would more than happily consume a large macdonalds hamburger, chips, some nuggets, followed by an apple pie. If I'm not counting calories I'd throw a chocolate sundae in there. That's because I'm burning upwards of 3500 a day. (In fact it's a great time to lose weight. Roll on spring!)
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My meals are 300cal or under.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I have a question and honestly, I'm only asking because I already have a firm belief in mind, but hey, maybe that is wrong. So, what better way to get varied answers than to ask on here? I could be wrong or maybe someone has info I could see. So, here goes.... How many calories do you typically consume in one meal AND do you feel there is a maximum that is 'healthy' to consume in one sitting? Long story short, I was told emphatically today that consuming 1600 calories in one meal was 'unhealthy' and 'dangerous'. For ANYONE. Irregardless of their size, sex, eating patterns, athleticism, etc. So, what's the consensus?

There are people who only eat one meal a day and thus eat 1600, or potentially more, in one sitting. As far as I know those people are healthy and don't suffer any ill effects. It's another form of Intermittent Fasting.

I can't imagine why anyone would think it was dangerous or unhealthy.

Anyway, my meals range from 400 calories to 1200, depending on how I feel/what I'm doing.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    My meals tend to be between 250 and 400 calories, but I definitely "save up" for fun (meals out, a night of drinking, whatever) all the time and I have been known to just say eff it and go over my calories because cheese exists.

It's nobody's business what other people eat, barring obvious exceptions like parents/children and doctors/patients. Your friend was being a jerk and you clearly know it, but that has no relationship to what MFP's average meal size is. Like you said, it's different for every person.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Typical meal is anything between 200 and 900.

I dont think a 1600 kcal meal is unhealthy. If you stay within your calorie limit it's all fine.
  • 27toheaven
    Options
    Anything goes for me some meals are in excess of 800 kcals easy. But normally just one huge meal on that day, with smaller meals either side of it.

i'd say on average breakfast around 250-400, lunch 500-600 dinner 500-600 on a 1500kcal eating plan, sometimes eating exercise kcals but often not.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    To be honest I don't know why anyone would want to eat that much in one go. My heavier meals range from 400-600 calories and they leave me stuffed.
    A 1600 calorie meal would be my entire daily intake :noway:
    Plus I like eating often. :bigsmile: Food! :heart:
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    1600 cals is more than I eat in an entire day. To me it sounds like a lot for 1 meal alone, but to each his own.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've eaten 1600 calories for one meal - it was delicious but I was stuffed. (I ended up going over that day. It was my Dad's Bday celebration PLUS our local fair with friends.)

My meals (When I'm being good - and I haven't been since coming back to school :P) are usually between 350-600 calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you can eat 20 small meals or one large meal it does not have any impact on metabolism..

also, a lot of people do IF which is one small meal followed by their largest meal of the day - typically post workout - which can be anywhere from 1500 to 2000 calories....and no, it is not unhealthy to do this..

my breakfast and lunch are typically 500 cals and dinner, which is post workout, is usually about 1000 to 1200.....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It's ok to splurge once in a while. I easily ate 1500 calories in the dinner I ate for my Bday last week and I'm still ticking - lol. It certainly won't do you any good diet-wise to consume that much on a regular basis, but you can treat yourself occasionally to a big meal if you wish :o)

As far as what is a normal meal for me? Most days are like this 300 calories for breakfast, 400-500 for lunch and 400-550 for supper with a little reserved for small snacks. I'm on the 1200 calorie plan plus I eat back my exercise calories. For someone on a higher calorie plan, their numbers would be different. I don't think there is any set "healthy" number of calories to stick with per meal, just make the total fall at or slightly under your net calories per day and you should lose weight.

please explain why consistently eating a 1500 calorie dinner would be harmful to OP's diet?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating that much in one meal at all. I've been playing around with IF and most times my lunch alone is 1300. Others that do IF easily have 2000+ cal meals.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    What matters is the overall calorie count for the day or week, having basically healthy food content and not stuffing oneself. And if you don't create a calorie deficit, you won't lose weight.
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I use IF too.

My one or 2 meals...are huge! That is how I like to consume my calories.