How to get rid of water weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    Like everyone says, drink more water. I drink at least 120 oz a day. It seems weird, but the more water you take in your body gets used to it and stops retaining extra water.

^ This

Your cells always strive to have the same concentration of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, etc) on both sides of their membrane. If you eat a lot of salt, or don't drink enough water, the cells will suck up what they can and hold on to it to try to maintain this balance.

If you lower your salt intake and drink a lot of water, your cells will release their excess water, causing your tissues to reduce in puffiness and weight. Exercise will make you sweat off water, but unless you replace it, you're dehydrated. Drink a lot of water, reduce salt, and you'll drop water weight.

Also, some medications make you hold water. High levels of NSAIDS (aspirin, ibuprofin, naproxin) can make you puffy. If you are on large dosages of NSAIDS, maybe discuss alternatives with your doctor if the water weight and puffiness are bothering you.
  • g33kmommy
    g33kmommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Drink a ton of water - trust me it does the trick! You really should try to do your 8 cups a day plus more if you can.

To help me get started, I would take pitchers of water and add fruit, or apples and cinnamon sticks, and let it steep overnight so it had flavor!

Also - watch your sodium intake!!!! Sodium makes you retain water.
  • Red_Scorpio_www
    Options
    Thank you so much....so another step forward from ignorance :D
    :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Drink more Water (atleast 10x250mls a day in as regular as you can) dont skull water that will go straight through you but drink mouthfulls often like every 10mins would be a good way to manage it easier take in just 2500 mg of Salt including any you've added yourself. Exercise will also increase and lessen water weight as your body holds onto the water to lubricate and repair muscles but you also sweat it and salts out
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Lower your sodium (salt) intake and see how you feel. Plus in the HOT season everyone feels more bloated. But work with the salt first. I have taken sodas from my food list and every now and then when I DO have one I can REALLLLY feel it the next day. So start there first.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    It sounds counter productive, but seriously drink more water. The more you drink, the more you flush. All of the above mentioned things can cause you to retain, but if you keep drinking it, things will level off.

I would have to compel myself to drink :P :) I take no more than 2 lits water a day!

Spice it up a little. It doesn't have to be straight water. What fruits do you like? Chop some up and add to a pitcher of water overnight. You can mint leaves, berries, slices of lemon or watermelon, cucumbers, really anything that you like.

And I know that some people go nuts if you have artificial sweeteners, but if it helps you stay hydrated, I see nothing wrong with adding a flavor packet every now and then.

I promise that the more you drink water and less high sodium, carbonated drinks, the better you will feel. You will also start to crave the water over other types of drinks. I used to drink 4-5 20 oz bottles of Pepsi a day. Now I can't even finish an 8-12 oz drink, I prefer the water.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water helps to reduce retention.

There are other ways, but it's not conducive to attaining better health and fitness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Red_Scorpio_www
    Options
    It sounds counter productive, but seriously drink more water. The more you drink, the more you flush. All of the above mentioned things can cause you to retain, but if you keep drinking it, things will level off.

I would have to compel myself to drink :P :) I take no more than 2 lits water a day!

Spice it up a little. It doesn't have to be straight water. What fruits do you like? Chop some up and add to a pitcher of water overnight. You can mint leaves, berries, slices of lemon or watermelon, cucumbers, really anything that you like.

And I know that some people go nuts if you have artificial sweeteners, but if it helps you stay hydrated, I see nothing wrong with adding a flavor packet every now and then.

I promise that the more you drink water and less high sodium, carbonated drinks, the better you will feel. You will also start to crave the water over other types of drinks. I used to drink 4-5 20 oz bottles of Pepsi a day. Now I can't even finish an 8-12 oz drink, I prefer the water.

Those are good ideas :D
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You can also throw some foods into your diet that are naturally high in water content. Watermelon and cucumber are a couple that come to mind.

Some kinds of herbal teas are also natural diuretics. Dandelion root is one that comes to mind. Sometimes I brew that, and add a splash of natural cranberry juice in the evening. Yum!