Eating After working out ????

Life_is_Good
Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I avoid eating after working out as long as possible for the "fat burn".

The center I take Kickboxing classes, started selling a protien drink. They are saying to eat a protien within 10 minutes after working out. Point being your body will use the protien to fill in the tears in your muscles- creating a leaner body, otherwise it uses fat to fill in the holes/tears in your muscles. (I thought using up the fat was a good thing???)

It sounds rational, but is it true?

Replies

• BeSexy
    BeSexy Posts: 94
    I can't say I ever heard off that. Now, on the other hand, the best time to eat is after you workout though. Your metabolism is on overdrive and protein is good if you were weight training and breaking the muscle down. Therefore the protein will help rebuild the muscle faster. That's why I love me some protein bars especially after hittin the weights!
  • its VERY important for u to eat after u work out. many believe we have a 30-minute window to replace
    you need to eat proteins AND carbs(not just protein like many believe) to restore muscle glycogen u need carbs!
    if u dont eat carbs .. ur body can actually end up BREAKING DOWN UR MUSCLE to use for glycogen restoration.
    but thats not ur question i know.. ur asking if u should eat right away. and i say Y E S!!! u really should.
  • krmullins
    krmullins Posts: 1 Member
    Yes, you should have a recovery drink after an intense workout but low fat chocalate milk is just as good for recovery as a protein drink and way cheaper.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Your body craves protein after a hard workout. Treat yourself to a glass of chocolate milk (it's a lot cheaper than a protein shake anyway!)
    If you're worried about fat content, check out Over The Moon chocolate milk. It's high in protein & fat free.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    I always eat after my workout - probably 10 to 15 minutes after my workout. I had no idea that some people think you shouldn't.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    I avoid eating after working out as long as possible for the "fat burn".

The center I take Kickboxing classes, started selling a protien drink. They are saying to eat a protien within 10 minutes after working out. Point being your body will use the protien to fill in the tears in your muscles- creating a leaner body, otherwise it uses fat to fill in the holes/tears in your muscles. (I thought using up the fat was a good thing???)

It sounds rational, but is it true?

I think what they mean is that if you do not take in protein, the tears in your muscles fibres will be filled with fat, so the fat isn't being used as energy but as a polyfiller sort of thing.

I must admit that is totally new to me, never heard of that.

I would prefer to look at it that you take in the protein so that the tears in your muscle fibres after your workout will be repaired and as protein is a "building block" for the human body, you will have sufficient there for it to do its job.

You know, I just realised something just as I was about to click on "post reply" - everytime I work out, whilst I am having my shower I have my dinner cooking and that dinner always has lots of protein in it. I have only done it this way since I joined this site. The ironic thing is, I used to feel crappy after exercise before belonging to MFP, however, since ensuring my dinner has lots of protein in it after my exercise I have felt a 1000% better than I used to.

Perhaps there is a lot of common sense in this "take in protein after a workout" business!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    When my metabolism was tested, the dietician and trainer that consulted with the test told me to be sure I ate within 30 minutes of my workout...protein and carb. They suggested Think Thin bars, which I tried and love. I actually eat 1/2 about an hour before my workout and the other half afterwards, otherwise I'm not hungry for my 'real' dinner later.
This discussion has been closed.