My Parents Don't Understand the BMI

Options
DanOhh
DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
My parents don't understand the BMI. I dropped by their place yesterday with the kids and we started talking about my weight loss. They're both very supportive and have always been positive. During the conversation I told them according to the BMI scale I'm still 'obese' (6 more lbs. to go and them I'm 'over-weight').

My mom's response was, "Oh, no you're not!".

I told her that this was according to the BMI scale and I'm fine w/ it. I could tell that she was no longer listening to me and just kept repeating, "You're not obese."

Later on, my dad pulled me aside and asked, "So, when are you going to be off this 'diet'?"

"I want to get below 200 lbs. and then I'm going to re-evaluate my goal", I answered.

"I'm a little worried that you could be getting a little obsessed with your weight.."

"Well, it has taken a little 'obsession' to get into the weight loss mind set but I plan on switching up my goals on my weight loss tracker (myfitnesspal) when I get there," I replied.

He kind of let my response hang there and then moved on to another topic.

It wasn't until later that I had thought about these conversations and had thought, "Wow, they were really concerned about me there". Now, like I said before my parents have been very supportive the whole time and I don't see this as a 'sabotage', they're truly concerned and were just not understanding that I was talking about the BMI scale and thought that I was talking about my view of myself as 'obese'. I do feel great where I'm at and if I don't lose any more weigh I'll be fine w/ it.

To wrap up my point here (finally), it got me thinking of how easy it is for others to get sabotaged in weight loss. Communication is a key in any relationship be it family or friends. I know that they're truly just concerned about my health. But, It did make me feel sorry for those of us who don't have a good support system and it's got to be twice as hard for them to take the criticism, from those that don't support but manipulate.

Good luck, to all of you. Especially, those of you who need a stronger support system.

Replies

• Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Awwwe ... it is very sweet they are so concerned for you. You are blessed!
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Parents are terrible at any weight related comments, "your not Fat your Fine !" even though you clearly put weight on

"You look like you need to eat" when you've lost a few pounds.

In the past when i've lost weight my parents always try to "fatten" me up.

Its a parent thing no matter where in the world you live :noway:
  • supaphly42
    Options
    I hate the BMI system. It really is flawed, but they've done such a good job selling it to people that everyone (like your parents) take it as the ultimate word, haha. And as an example, I'm currently "obese" on there as well, and I ran a 6:53 mile a couple days ago.

Anyway, sounds like you're doing well so far, and your mindset sounds far from obsessive. The fact that you're willing to review and reevaluate your goals periodically is great. Keep up the good job, and we're all here for you!
  • heyzoos
    heyzoos Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi Dan.

I'm surprised they don't understand it. It's just bad science, and only works for people of certain body types.

Fact: All professional Rugby Players are clinically obese, according to BMI. These are some of the fittest people in the world (they run around for 80 minutes tackling people, with one break in the middle!!)

Google it for yourself...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106268439

A much more useful measurement is body fat percentage. Getting an accurate assessment is a bit tricky (and can be expensive), but it's a much more reliable way of determining how healthy your fat levels are.

I've done the research on home weight scales (a relatively cheap and accurate enough option) that measure body fat (especially visceral fat % which of too high can cause major issues), so let me know if you want a recommendation.

Regards,
    Dan (good name :)
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Not so sure I understand it either. I certainly don't give it any consideration in my life. I know I am overweight, but if I made decisions based on my BMI I be suffering from clinical depression.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Parents are terrible at any weight related comments...

Exactly!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Hi the BMI's unless you have yours tested in the water tank are only guide lines. My daughter is a weightlifter and weighs 264 and has a BMI of 34 and her room mate is 168 and has a BMI according to the guide lines is 39. My daughter said its known as skinny fat people. And it is wonderful you family is truly behind you and are concerned for you health. As you know some people have a tendency to go overboard then become ill. Best of luck
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I never did state that I'm not a fan of the BMI either. I was just stating 'as a matter of fact' that I was still 'obese'. I have no plans on entering the 'healthy' scale of the BMI. I didn't even wrestle at a 'healthy' BMI weight and that was when I was in the best shape of my life. Right now I'm in the second best shape of my life and I don't need a scale to tell me I'm healthy.