Brain fog

Options
I have been dealing with alot of problems with 'brain fog' (embarrassing but true) and was hoping to hear some insight from the knowledgeable people on MFP. I work full time and am increasing my course load at my University. For the past few months I have a very hard time staying focused, concentrating, getting things to 'connect' in my brain. Alot of times it's just a 'fuzzy tv screen' and for the life of me, I can't get it to work.

The only thing I can think of is crappy sleep and too much beer. I know alcohol can have an affect on cognition. Obviously, I am cutting beer completely and am working on better sleep patterns. I am hoping that these changes will help. Its really making life alot more stressful when I am taking on so much more with school and I feel like I am having to go at it without my 'full arsenal' when my brain just isn't cooperating.

Any other suggestions or thoughts? Nutritional suggestions? Exercises....

Thanks all!

Replies

• Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Brain fog is nothing to be embarassed about. :)

For me, it was about cutting sugar out of my diet, really limiting alcohol, eating more whole, natural foods and less or no processed foods, working out and getting enough sleep. Once I got my body past the initial rebellion phase of the new routine, I am happy to say I am more focused, happier and less stressed.

Hope you find what works for you.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in seeing the answers to this too because I constantly have brain fog. Work full-time and go to graduate school so I need to be able to focus.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Thanks Nina! I guess I was just worried that this 'state of mind' and lack of the ability to focus was going to be permanent.

I am glad those things worked for you and you were able to turn it around.

Thank you!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I wish I had brain fog, mine just goes to sleep, or takes a break I have been going to college since 2007 year around and this coming up semester I have 17 units. I came back to school after a 37 year break and my brain some times retaliates.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I second what nkk shared ... I remember what school's like - getting good sleep and good food is harder than it sounds. But proper rest and wholesome nutrition (not coffee, ramen noodles and bear claw sugar jolts like I used to do :tongue: ) will help a lot.

Best of luck! Be good to your body and it will be good to you. xo
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I think I have chronic brain fog haha...actually my problem is i think WAY TO MUCH. In school i could never focus because I was always day dreaming.,..if i had to read, i would have to read the same sentence over and over again because i just wasn't paying attention to what I was reading. I can't pay attention for more than like 5 mins at church because my mind just wanders everywhere....sometimes i'm literally playing a movie in my head or singing a song. So sleep has always been hard for me because my mind doensn't shut off...I have spagetti thoughts for hours before i can fall asleep. I sleep witht the tv on because it helps me focus on just one thing, so I sleep easier. Even if someone is talking to me, I am listening to them and thinking of other things too...it's kind of weird...anyone else like this too?
  • spiritgurl
    spiritgurl Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have experienced this myself and for me the problem stemmed from an underactive thryoid. Once it was determined what the problem was and a few weeks on stronger meds I did find a difference. I felt exhausted and my lack of concentration was terrible. It was also giving me headaches. It may not be the same issue for you...based on your surroundings right now I would think a lot has to do with sleep and overwhelming stress. Your body is smart enough to shut down or adapt in some way if your inner balance is off. It's all a mystery for sure but the previous advice on rest and proper nutrition is a good place to start!
  • RachSuzanne
    RachSuzanne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I feel like I say this all the time but....Have your thyroid checked, if you haven't already. Constantly being tired and spacey may be from running too hard, but you may find you have an amazing amount of energy being lost if you have poor thyroid function.

It's hard to diagnose without blood tests because the symptoms are very psychological. Brain fog is one of the symptoms.

It's worth checking:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/hypothyroidism-symptoms
  • amicklin
    Options
    I think you may have a point with the blood tests for an under active thyroid. To put it mildly, I am DEATHLY afraid of needles. To the point, can't see one without getting light headed and/ or passing out. Have never in all my days had blood taken or an injection without passing out..... Pretty sad really. I have no idea how I am going to be able to get the blood work done. I am going to try the nutrition/ sleep/ no alcohol thing and see how that goes. If that doesn't get it back to where it needs to be, I'll have to drag myself in... *shudder*

I really wish there was some other way to test the thyroid without blood work. I would absolutlely pay more for that service.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with alot of problems with 'brain fog' (embarrassing but true) and was hoping to hear some insight from the knowledgeable people on MFP. I work full time and am increasing my course load at my University. For the past few months I have a very hard time staying focused, concentrating, getting things to 'connect' in my brain. Alot of times it's just a 'fuzzy tv screen' and for the life of me, I can't get it to work.

The only thing I can think of is crappy sleep and too much beer. I know alcohol can have an affect on cognition. Obviously, I am cutting beer completely and am working on better sleep patterns. I am hoping that these changes will help. Its really making life alot more stressful when I am taking on so much more with school and I feel like I am having to go at it without my 'full arsenal' when my brain just isn't cooperating.

Any other suggestions or thoughts? Nutritional suggestions? Exercises....

Thanks all!

Alcohol will fog the brain as will too much sugar. Watch the sugar in your diet, too much of it will fog your brain.

Website below will also give many other reasons for brain fog, some of them include toxicity from various substances that are nothing to do with food.

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/brain_fog.htm
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Depending on how bad it is and the symptoms, you can also be checked for low B12 levels. If you cannot absorb B12 despite having many foods rich in it, it will gradually deteriorate and it gets scary...I thought I had Alzheimer's at age 30! Fortunately, I had a great doctor at the time (actually, a PA), and he researched and we found out what it was. My levels were DANGEROUSLY low, like less than 5% of what the minimum should be.

I get monthly B12 shots. Vitamins and liquid B12 do not work for me, and for many people.

Just a thought....good luck and feel better! It's probably lack of sleep (at least, good sleep), stress and alcohol.
  • amicklin
    Options
    Thank you all very much! It concerns me because I sometimes have to remind myself of basic, normal stuff.

I do take a B vitamin supplement. I am going to research all the comments everyone made. I certainly appreciate it :)