Wonderful Article for Mamas (or anyone) Avoiding Pics

Options
Whether you're a mom, a dad or have no children, there's probably someone who will want pictures to have a visual memory of you. I doubt that when you're gone, they'll look at it and see your double chin, that pimple on your forehead, or how fat you thought your arms looked. They'll see YOU and smile. I'm so very guilty of picture avoidance but I'm working on it. Love this article and wanted to share.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allison-tate/mom-pictures-with-kids_b_1926073.html

"I'm everywhere in their young lives, and yet I have very few pictures of me with them. Someday I won't be here -- and I don't know if that someday is tomorrow or thirty or forty or fifty years from now -- but I want them to have pictures of me. I want them to see the way I looked at them, see how much I loved them. I am not perfect to look at and I am not perfect to love, but I am perfectly their mother.

When I look at pictures of my own mother, I don't look at cellulite or hair debacles. I just see her -- her kind eyes, her open-mouthed, joyful smile, her familiar clothes. That's the mother I remember. My mother's body is the vessel that carries all the memories of my childhood. I always loved that her stomach was soft, her skin freckled, her fingers long. I didn't care that she didn't look like a model. She was my mama.

So when all is said and done, if I can't do it for myself, I want to do it for my kids. I want to be in the picture, to give them that visual memory of me. I want them to see how much I am here, how my body looks wrapped around them in a hug, how loved they are."

ETA: Article is about a year old so it may have been shared. Even so, worth sharing again.

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Love this! With my first 4 children there are barely any pictures of me with them as babies, and I really regret it now. I promised myself I would not make the same mistakes with my twins. I also make sure to take lots of pics with the older kids now.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thanks for sharing!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Love this! With my first 4 children there are barely any pictures of me with them as babies, and I really regret it now. I promised myself I would not make the same mistakes with my twins. I also make sure to take lots of pics with the older kids now.

Same here. Makes me really sad that I have very few pics with little when she was a baby. Not something you can go back and do over. I do try to take a lot of pics with her now.
  • GIAngel222
    GIAngel222 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Great Article! I don't have any children of my own but it made me think about my Mother. I am the youngest of 5 and there is not one picture of my mother and I! This article actually made me teary eyed! Thanks for sharing. If I am lucky enough to be a mother one day, I will remember this article.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Good reminder. I don't shy away from the camera because I don't like the way I look, I just don't think about it a lot. But...that being said...I always regret that my wedding pictures will show a larger-than-I'd-like version of me. But being overweight has been part of my life, it's a fact. And I wouldn't trade in my wedding day for the world. Just like my relationship will change and mature with my husband over the years, my body and health will change and improve.
  • GIAngel222
    GIAngel222 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    <~~~ in honor of my Mom. =)

I am actually about 5" taller than her but I took my shoes so she can be taller than me!
  • Jcsmith5210
    Jcsmith5210 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love this thanks for posting