When do you decrease the calorie deficit?

Options
So I just read on these boards that the closer you get to your "goal weight" the less of a deficit you should reach for daily.

This is new info for me and I have a question.... at what point do you consider it time to close in that gap? My goal weight has no scientific backing to it at all. Basically, I would love to drop about 7-11lbs from where I was at my last weigh in (last Saturday)..... but I kinda thought if I could get there, maybe I can go for another 5lbs.

Do I just wait until I hit a plateau for several weeks to assume that I have come close enough?

My TDEE (not including my exercise) is 1734
RMR = 1428
Burning ~200 calories per day with T-25
Aiming for a net 1200-1400 calories per day and slowly losing (weekly weigh in is tomorrow, so my fingers are crossed).

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I had a deficit allowing for 2+ pounds a week when I was obese, and when I got to about upper-middle range of overweight, I decreased it to lose 1.5 lb a week. Didn't lose anything for a couple weeks because my body was adjusting to increased intake, but have been losing just fine since then. I'm about 4.5 pounds away from "normal weight" and when I get there I'll increase again for 1 lb per week. I don't know if I'll go down to 0.5 lb a week because my body is stubborn enough as it is, and I may end up losing that much on what mathematically should give me a pound per week loss anyway.