Any hope? :)

Options
Ok, here is the deal...I weigh 127 and I am 5 ft tall so by the looks of the number and what I see in the mirror I would estimate that I have about 15 pounds to lose. Up until last week, I was doing 5 days cardio and 1-2 days strength training machines...I am getting burnt out with the cardio although I would still keep up with it. I have not lost anything in like 3 weeks. So this week I decided I needed to start the dumbbells. Full body workout, takes approx 35 minutes three times per week. In addition on those days i am doing 15-20 min elliptical after the weights. The other two days are 45-60 min cardio only...mind you, just started this schedule this week. I have a bad feeling that I am going to gain. look smaller, but still be where I am at weight wise..I know I know, it shouldnt matter but damn, I am a little fun-sized package and I don't think I should weigh 127!!! LOL Can anyone give me hope that by some miracle I could drop like 10 lbs and put on muscle? Please? I need some motivation and experiences..thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You say you do all this cardio and exercise, but it's not in your diary. Which leads me to believe that you're not eating your exercise calories back. You may be at too low of a caloric intake.

As far as dropping 10 lbs goes, this comes from a caloric deficit (you may be in too deep of a deficit).
    Putting on muscle, although it's possible to do so while losing weight, re: newb gains, the process is slow. Are you lifting fairly heavy? You should be lifting to the point where you can probably only do 1-2 more reps out per set. If you finish an exercise and your muscles aren't tired, you're not lifting properly.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    You're right, I put my exercise in the notes and I don't eat back my exercise calories...hmmmmmm...that may be the issue...I am good like 95% of the time, but I may be too good as I am under alot...thanks, I may need to consider this.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 115 lbs now from 135 lbs. I went from 135 to 120 just by watching food intake then got the last 5 off by running, cycling and weight training with a good diet. It's tough to be small because our BMR is so low to start with that it doesn't leave a lot of room to cut.
  • loriq41
    Options
    You say you do all this cardio and exercise, but it's not in your diary. Which leads me to believe that you're not eating your exercise calories back. You may be at too low of a caloric intake.

As far as dropping 10 lbs goes, this comes from a caloric deficit (you may be in too deep of a deficit).
    Putting on muscle, although it's possible to do so while losing weight, re: newb gains, the process is slow. Are you lifting fairly heavy? You should be lifting to the point where you can probably only do 1-2 more reps out per set. If you finish an exercise and your muscles aren't tired, you're not lifting properly.
    Also I am just starting this so I am all new to this as far as the lifting really....I seem so far to be lifting fairly heavy for me..which is probably light for everyone else...lol
  • loriq41
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 115 lbs now from 135 lbs. I went from 135 to 120 just by watching food intake then got the last 5 off by running, cycling and weight training with a good diet. It's tough to be small because our BMR is so low to start with that it doesn't leave a lot of room to cut.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It could be a lot of things, but I too noticed that either you haven't been logging your workouts, or you haven't been working out lately.

Your calorie goal is 1400 and sometimes you barely hit 1000 for the day. If you are exercising while also eating so little, it can cause some problems.

Try to focus really hard on only losing .5lbs a week. This means eating your calorie goal + exercise calories.

I also noticed that you've been calorie cycling a lot, what I mean is that sometimes you're over by 200-800 calories, then under by 100-400 calories. While this probably *mostly* evens out in the end, it can cause a lot of unpredictable waste and water weight gains from sodium. Which may cause the scale to not reflect true fat loss. I'd recommend taking measurements and not relying on the scale so much.
  • loriq41
    Options
    I suck at this quoting thing....yes, it is really really tough..I will just have to try to break through this wall..I have done it before....but thanks, cuz knowing a shorty like you did it, well there is hope! :)
  • loriq41
    Options
    Thanks Lady...I don't eat back my calories and I put my exercise in the notes cuz I am afraid of overestimating the calories burned...and obviously afraid of eating too much on most days..uggghhhh
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    Thanks Lady...I don't eat back my calories and I put my exercise in the notes cuz I am afraid of overestimating the calories burned...and obviously afraid of eating too much on most days..uggghhhh

Well it's really important to eat those calories, otherwise you're creating a very large calorie deficit and losing precious muscle.

If you really feel that it's over estimating, eat at least 50% of them or perhaps invest in a HMR that has a chest strap as they are the most accurate.

Being afraid of eating food is also not a very good sign. Perhaps you might want to consider speaking to a professional about these feelings? How are you going to feel once you need to start maintaining your goal weight and need to eat a lot more calories?
  • loriq41
    Options
    Well....I mean, as you have seen I have had some cheats...I just am precise in wanting to be good a majority of the time...I mean, if I can eat more to lose weight I am all for it..I just don't want to sabotage myself when I have worked so hard. I think that when you are in your early 40s and short that those two things can be detrimental to weight loss and I am just struggling to find that "sweet spot" that is going to work for the rest of my weightloss..there just seems to be alot of tweeking that goes into this when you are NOT in your 20s! :)
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    Well....I mean, as you have seen I have had some cheats...I just am precise in wanting to be good a majority of the time...I mean, if I can eat more to lose weight I am all for it..I just don't want to sabotage myself when I have worked so hard. I think that when you are in your early 40s and short that those two things can be detrimental to weight loss and I am just struggling to find that "sweet spot" that is going to work for the rest of my weightloss..there just seems to be alot of tweeking that goes into this when you are NOT in your 20s! :)

Okay well, good luck, I hope you figure it out =)
  • loriq41
    Options
    Thanks Lady! :)