If you are on a low calorie diet, READ THIS!!!

Options
12346»

Replies

• leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this.. What are your thoughts about a 1,200 calorie diet? That's what was set for me by MFP. On days that I workout, I still try to stay at 1200 cals. Is that unhealthy? I've been losing .2 - .8 lbs a day, weighing myself every morning at the same time. And I'm currently obese at 181 lbs, and I'm 21. Is my calorie goal okay?

How much have you lost per week for the last 4 weeks? I'd shoot for 1lbs/week with your current goal in mind. If you're losing more than that I'd scale the calories up a bit as you've probably got too extreme of a deficit going.

I just started being "serious" about my diet and exercising at the beginning of September. So it has almost been 3 weeks and I've lost around 6 lbs. I've been steadily losing, and I'm happy about it, but I want it to be healthy.

I didn't see where you ever got an answer to your question. IMHO 2 lbs per week is too aggressive. Reduce it to 1.5 or 1 lb per week and either up your activity level or eat back exercise calories. No damage done but what you are doing is not necessarily optimum for overall health. Too aggressive an approach.

Thank you! I'll try to shoot for 1.5 lb per week to dial it back a bit. :smile:
  • jcnew27
    jcnew27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that there's a difference between restricting with an eating disorder and tracking daily calorie intake with a weight loss goal in mind. I know that eating a low calorie diet can be harmful if misused (just as any prescription medication has abuse potential). Doctors help people to lose weight by telling them to eat low(er) calorie diets. Not everyone will form an eating disorder from eating a low calorie diet, eating disorders are serious diseases but have little to do with monitoring calories for healthy (NOTE: I said healthy) weight loss.