Am I doing the right thing?

My name is Samantha, although I'm brand new to MFP my journey started in May.
I started out as a 5"5' tall 20 year old who found herself at 317 pounds.
Today I weigh 287.5 pounds.

Although I've lost weight I've been questioning what I've been doing since this is the first time I've ever logged my diet and exercise.
According to my plan I should be eating up into 2000 calories or more some days, while I've been eating anything around 1,300 to 1,900 depending on my exercise and I'm always under my calorie goal but I'm not skipping meals or starving myself (God no) by any means. I find myself full and energized and it feels like I'm constantly eating.
The reason why my numbers are so high is partially because I'm so heavy but also because I'm burning from 600-1000 calories a day in my workouts.

I'm pretty sure my settings are set to public in case you want to check it over.

I guess I was just interested in making sure I'm on the right track, I have over 100 pounds to lose and I'm ok with taking it slow, I just want to know I'm know destroying my body in the process.

Any advice or motivation is much appreciated. (especially people who have a lot to lose like me)

Replies

• elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    I kind of need to know the same thing!! Feel free to add me.....I'm 5'7, 278 lbs and want/need to lose 100 lbs.
  • mz_grim
    mz_grim Posts: 58 Member
    I have had a quick skim through your diary and it looks good. The only thing I would suggest is watch your salt/sodium intake as this can make you retain water and stop the scales from moving and you have been over on salt quite a bit. Otherwise it looks good :)
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    When I first started I was 5'3 and 235 lbs.
    I was losing weight eating between 2000-2200 calories. I would burn an average of 500 on my workouts.

Now that I've lost some weight my calorie intake is between 1600-1700 and still losing.
    I still have another 40 lbs or so to go.

21525558.png
  • Thanks guys :)
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    For the most part, I think you are doing good on your food choices. You do a good bit of processed foods, but you are not going crazy with it. When you cut down on that even more your sodium intake will lower too.

That is the real problem I see with your diary is you are taking in a little too much sodium ... you may want to add potassium to your display to make sure you are taking in enough potassium. Potassium helps your kidneys process the sodium you take in.

I needed to loose 100 pounds when I started here, and I'm almost half way. Using the tools here are great. Eat right, work out, and log every single bite. It is actually amazingly easy. There will be good days and bad days. Remember one day is not a problem, so if you are over on one day, make sure you are under the next couple of days. It is always cumulative ... that is kind of my motto. It is all cumulative so don't sweat the small overages.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    If you're using MFP's estimates for calorie burns...beware, they are usually way higher than what you're actually burning. Are you getting these burns from MFP or from a heart rate monitor?

EDIT: I see you generally don't eat back all of your exercise calories...which is good if you are going by the burns that MFP tells you. Carry on...
  • No I purchased a heart rate monitor and wear that to all my workouts, I didn't 100% trust MFP with the estimates plus I like to know what my heart rate is while I exercise.
  • beverlyann1726
    beverlyann1726 Posts: 31 Member
    No I purchased a heart rate monitor and wear that to all my workouts, I didn't 100% trust MFP with the estimates plus I like to know what my heart rate is while I exercise.

I love my heart rate monitor. Gives a more accurate calorie burn count. Really comes in handy for me since I do my workouts at home from DVD's, and need an accurate calorie burn count. Do you go to the gym?
  • Both! I'm doing Turbofire at home and then I go to the gym on top of that just for a variety. But I agree I love my heart rate monitor!