Bicyclist vs. Motorists: incident report

Options
I had a rather negative experience on my bike ride last night. I had a drive race past me on a quiet residential street only to stop 50 yards up and talk with someone in a driveway. As I approached the rear of his vehicle I waited for him to proceed to the stop sign so he wouldn't have to pass me again. He finished his conversation and then pulled up 15 feet to the stop sign and just sat there another car approached the stop sign and he just sat there until that vehicle finally decided to go. Then the driver threw his car into reverse as if he was going to run me over, yelled "That's what sidewalks are for stupid F****t !" and raced off. I was as courteous as I could be.

I'm sure others have had worse experiences car to share your story?

Replies

• rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I actually had a bad experience as a driver with a group of runners.
    They were kids (teens) and were not wearing any type of reflective or noticeable clothing on a very busy street. I was pulling out of a driveway turning right. There was no crosswalk on this driveway.
    As I was pulling out to turn, the group (who were wearing green shorts that match the bushes and white shirts that match the walls of the surrounding architecture) ran out in front of my car. They started banging on my car and yelling at me. I was polite about it, and very worried and checked to make sure no one was hurt, but they would have been in the wrong (and yes I triple checked vehicle code to make sure because it scared me so much). No crosswalk, busy street, camouflage clothing = disaster. Thankfully, I don't "gun" the gas so it was easy to stop quickly.

Your story is definitely frustrating. That guy was just being a jerk. Where I live, bikes are included in vehicle code and are not to ride on the sidewalk, so his point would have been moot. You were being extremely polite and safe by letting him go so that he wouldn't have to pass you again.
  • Hedgewriter
    Options
    What many drivers don't realize is that in many states bicyclists are RESTRICTED from using sidewalks and must use a bike path or the road.
    Cleary you did everything correctly and were courteous and patient with the driver. I have had incidents very much like the one you describe, but for the most part I have found that drivers are very careful when they see the bicyclist and give a wide berth when passing.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I went over my handlebars and landed in some sand yesterday. That was kind of fun.

I've received some dirty looks from people, but no one has ever slowed down to say something to me either running or cycling.

Wouldn't worry about it. The people who get upset at people cycling or running typiclly have bigger problems than the one they just created for you....which really isn't a problem.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    What many drivers don't realize is that in many states bicyclists are RESTRICTED from using sidewalks and must use a bike path or the road.
    Cleary you did everything correctly and were courteous and patient with the driver. I have had incidents very much like the one you describe, but for the most part I have found that drivers are very careful when they see the bicyclist and give a wide berth when passing.

Around here bicycles have the same rights on the street as cars do and a lot of areas have bike lanes
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I have never had a bad experience in my car with bikes (I don't ride bikes). However I used to have them as a walker. Here the bikes are supposed to use the road (same as cars). 1/2 the people won't (due to the reckless driving of people), but instead of being courteous, they would just practically run me over on the sidewalk or make me step into the street so they could pass me. Bikers around here made walking a scary idea.
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I take part in the Critical Mass ride every month, which I encourage everyone to do in their local areas to raise awareness about sharing the road. I just moved to a new city & I am very impressed about the designated bike lanes for cyclists. During this past Friday's Critical Mass ride, I was shocked by how many confrontations took place during the ride between the cars and cyclists. Angry words shared from both sides. I think the only thing to do as cyclists, runners, roller bladers, ect. is to just follow the rules & ignore the unnecessary things people may say or do, unless it's truly harming yourself or others. That being said, I was incredibly happy with the amounts of people who were honking & cheering for the thousands of cyclists during Critical Mass. We felt like celebrities :)
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I went over my handlebars and landed in some sand yesterday. That was kind of fun.

I've received some dirty looks from people, but no one has ever slowed down to say something to me either running or cycling.

Wouldn't worry about it. The people who get upset at people cycling or running typiclly have bigger problems than the one they just created for you....which really isn't a problem.
    Ya, dude. you're likr 6'3-270 or something, ain'tcha?

mean people are plentiful, idiots are everywhere,,, but thr truly suicidal are actuslly quite rare.
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    I had an incident where I was in the right lane, going about 20mph. Some guy, who wanted to turn right, thought
    he could beat me and got into the left lane and turned right in front of me. I flipped him off. He turned around,
    sped in front of me, stopped the car and got out. I guess he didn't realize how big I was until I got off my bike
    and started walking toward him. Plus, I was wearing my Muay Thai shirt, so he thought twice and took off.

I'm not one of those people who just shrugs things off. This is my road too. If we keep shrugging these incidents
    off, these drivers are going to keep taking advantage of us. That's why I always have my camera ready along with
    a pen and paper. You break the law, I'm reporting your a ss to the police.

Doug
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I saw a cyclist get knocked off his bike last year by a careless driver. Luckily he was ok,because he was wearing a helmet, if he hadnt it could have been really bad. The woman was also quite horrified at herself and got out to help him.
  • jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am a cyclist and have been for years. I get yelled at: "That's what the sidewalks are for sweetheart, get on it!" I have had fist shaking and the bird out the window, but this summer I had one that was new...I had coins thrown out the window at me from a car moving 45 m.p.h. It hurts...badly!

If I choose to take up the whole lane and peddle at 17 m.p.h. in a 25 or 35 mile zone..I can, but I don't I pedal on the very edge of the road and trust in the drivers not to strike me from behind. It's scary to get out there and ride in those type of conditions.
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    what does urk me is when cyclist HAVE a cycle lane (here in Cambridge, UK they have more rights/paths than anyone lol) but still choose to ride on the road! grr :p

I ride my push bike on the pavement when theres no pedastrians as I find it much safer - probably not where I legally should be though!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I am a cyclist and have been for years. I get yelled at: "That's what the sidewalks are for sweetheart, get on it!" I have had fist shaking and the bird out the window, but this summer I had one that was new...I had coins thrown out the window at me from a car moving 45 m.p.h. It hurts...badly!

If I choose to take up the whole lane and peddle at 17 m.p.h. in a 25 or 35 mile zone..I can, but I don't I pedal on the very edge of the road and trust in the drivers not to strike me from behind. It's scary to get out there and ride in those type of conditions.

Wow you resurrected this old dog! LOL

Ouch to the coins I bet that did hurt. I was just getting into cycling really when I posted this. I'm positive as soon as Spring breaks Ill be getting a lot more Love from motorists with high blood pressure
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I ride a lot in the country where there are soft gravel shoulders - impossible to ride on with a road-bike. Most drivers are considerate, and I think it helps them if they can see you well in advance, i.e. flashing tail light and/or hi-visibility clothing. The drivers to watch for are more often the elderly who just don't react as fast. And the occasional quick tempered guys who just don't realize a road-bike cannot just skip over and ride on the soft dirt shoulder. Be careful out there and enjoy your ride!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    what does urk me is when cyclist HAVE a cycle lane (here in Cambridge, UK they have more rights/paths than anyone lol) but still choose to ride on the road! grr :p

I ride my push bike on the pavement when theres no pedastrians as I find it much safer - probably not where I legally should be though!

Yeah, in the UK it's not legal to ride on the pavements.

I am constantly stunned by the people who ride on the main roads in Milton Keynes. We have specifically built (if not very well maintained) cycle ways. They're crazy.
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I am not a bicyclist I am a motorist. We used to live in the country on the edge of a city and the summers were full of bicyclists on our roads. There were bike lanes in some areas but not as far out as we were. I have no issue with bicyclists using the road what I do have an issue with is packs of them 20 or more who ride across the entire 2 lane width of the road and wouldn't move over to even get around them. If they did move it was a slow process and they acted very indignant at having to move. Rules of the road are supposed to protect cyclists and motorists as a cyclist you aren't given preferential treatment over the motorist.
  • HayesSanborn
    HayesSanborn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    As someone who rides hundreds mile a week, I've come to the conclusion they just have a crappy life and need to take it on someone. I stopped letting it bother me, it used to ruin my rides.
  • jessi36
    Options
    Wow, I hate people like that! I would have went to the police!!.

Be safe!! :)