Feeling frustrated

Options
I've been peeking into these boards since June. I respond occasionally, but have never felt the need to seek out some help. Starting weight 230, started weight loss program on my 40th birthday May 31. Today weight is lingering and seems to be totally stuck at 190. Finding time on Tues. and Thurs. to attend kickboxing, yoga, zumba, yoga classes. Saturday is circuit strength class. Not eating anymore/less than I have been, and time of year to cut firewood. As a teacher I'm busy, but enjoy working out when I can. Why am I stuck? I think my food diary is posted public and I'm simply feeling frustrated. My goal is to lose 50 more lbs....

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Sadly, weight loss is not linear. There will be times where it will stall. You have to play around with some things to get it moving again. One thing about your food intake is that you appear to be way below what you should be eating. It doesn't look like you are eating back your exercise calories. Why is that? You might want to start eating some more. It may take a few weeks for your body to get used to an increase in calories, but in the end, it will be the best thing for you. You need to fuel your body and give it all of the nutrients it needs. Don't be afraid to eat more.
  • ohiowhthse
    Options
    Okay, so if I burn all of those calories when I exercise I should be eating that many more calories? Doesn't that keep me at the current weight if I'm not having net?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Okay, so if I burn all of those calories when I exercise I should be eating that many more calories? Doesn't that keep me at the current weight if I'm not having net?
    MFP is designed with the idea of eating back some of your exercise calories. You should at least be eating some of them back.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I agree with trogalicious there. If you want to meet your MFP calorie goal and exercise, then you will have to eat back the calories you burned. Typically the argument is if you eat too low of a net for too long it will depress your metabolism (cause you to go into starvation mode). I'll let you research that to see what you think about it though. Personally I've been doing better since I started eating back some of my exercise calories.

Also, I would suggest measuring (chest, biceps, waist, hips, thighs) in addition to weighing yourself. I plateaued for most of the past month, but when I measured (I only do it about once a month), I had lost inches on my total. And I'd rather lose inches than lbs any day!
  • ohiowhthse
    Options
    Okay, makes sense. I have been measuring 1x a month. This past month no change, except thighs 1/2 inch smaller. Makes sense, I'll try eating back some calories and see how that goes for awhile. Dr. is going to have to help me with the food/issue if i'm still eating too much protein etc, because I'm truly not positive i'm heading in the right direction. Thanks!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about eating too much protein unless there is a medical reason to restrict.