General Tso's Meatballs - low carb/gluten free/soy free

Options
JaceyMarieS
JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
Original recipe http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/04/general-tsos-meatballs-low-carb-gluten-free.html

My adaptation

Meatballs
1. I used 1/8 C flax and 1/8 C almond flour (for no particular reason other than i was almost out of almond flour)
2. I baked rather than frying the meatballs. Not afraid of fat as i eat LCHF, but I hate dealing with the splatter and mess of frying.

Sauce
1. Instead of soy sauce, I used coconut aminos. Bragg's aminos would also be gluten-free, but I have a soy intolerance in addition to celiac sprue.
2. I used liquid Splenda to further reduce the carb count. Personally, I think the sugar/sweetener/honey could be reduced to the equivalent of 1T rather than 3T, but I like heat more than sweet.
3. I replaced the dried chilies with 2T of Thai garlic chili paste, because it's easier to find.
4. I added a squirt of sriracha because I'm all about the heat.

Theoretically, this makes 4 servings. I think 2 servings is more realistic, especially for dinner.

Nutritional info for 1/2 the recipe (2 servings total) with my modifications
Calories - 551
Carbs - 16 g
Fiber - 5 g
Protein - 55 g
Fat - 27 g ** I used 93% ground chicken. If fat concerns you, grind your own boneless/skinless breasts or use a 95/5 ground chicken/turkey instead.

Replies

• Clm81401
    Options
    Double Great job on weight loss. My little tip. I also bake my meat balls. However, I do it to save calories. With a ice cream scoop about two ounces, and a mini muffin pan you can make sure that the meat ball are always round. Just scoop, quick hand roll, in the muffin tin.