How do you Avoid junk food cravings?

Options
13»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't know I might be wrong but after reading the comments I couldn't stop myself replying. A lot of people stated that they deal with cravings allowing themselves to eat, smaller portions/exercising more/ healthier versions.
    This seems like soothing the symptoms not curing the illness.
    I mean for me it's more important to dig deeper and find out the cause of my cravings and work on solving my issues which makes me think of food when I'm stressed/tired/fed up/feeling unloved etc and trying to create new habits instead of eating.
    If you don't change the foundation you will eventually give in. I saw it a lot of times, I made this mistake too. Women lost incredible amount of weight, maintained it for a year or 2-3, then something major happened or they just thought they could eat that one slice of cake and the flood gate broke. All the hard work had gone down the drain.

I think you have made a valuable point. Stopping and taking stock of what is driving the eating. I remember having a difficult encounter by phone with another individual and found myself in the kitchen eating a peanut butter sandwich. I had an ah ha moment and could see I was soothing myself by eating. Not a good habit to get into. I didn't have other tools to work with back then , but along the way in life I learned a few meditative techniques.

One is called surfing the urge. You can do a google online and look for it on you tube. For me I call it surfing the anxiety, or feeling mad or bad, it is recognizing it is a feeling, taking the time to deal with it , breath it in and breath it out, then letting it go. I no longer have to act on the feeling. The feeling passes . It is a technique not only for dealing with food but difficult people
    It is a short meditative technique originally developed for people to give up habits such as smoking and drinking.

I watched that HBO documentary on the Weight of a Nation this last Friday and saw they are using meditative tools in dealing with eating. People are taking time to smell and breath their food before taking the first bite then taking time to chew on it.
    It allows them to tune into their body and read the bodies signals.

Now that I am typing this I realize I had my breakfast with my mind elsewhere and woofed it down. I think it is time for me to slow and take the time to notice what I am eating.

P.S.
    I recently discovered they are using this technique to deal with stress and the reduction of a stress hormone that causes the body to store belly fat.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1099086-stress-cortisol-belly-fat-mindfulness

I enjoy eating. Eating foods that I like is neither a disease nor a moral failing. It only becomes a failing if I eat too much, too often, or eat such a poor diet that I'm malnourished. Even if I occasionally eat for stress relief, that response isn't necessarily unhealthy, unless it's frequent and habitual. Sometimes food is the perfect response to stress, like when my organic chemistry teacher brought us cookies and coffee for midterms and finals.

P.S. I've kept an extra 15 pounds off for more than 15 years. I was treated for an eating disorder in my teens, and I have gone to the extremes of eating and not eating. I don't think I'm on the verge of giving in to any uncontrollable cravings or compulsions at this point in life.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I don't know I might be wrong but after reading the comments I couldn't stop myself replying. A lot of people stated that they deal with cravings allowing themselves to eat, smaller portions/exercising more/ healthier versions.
    This seems like soothing the symptoms not curing the illness.
    I mean for me it's more important to dig deeper and find out the cause of my cravings and work on solving my issues which makes me think of food when I'm stressed/tired/fed up/feeling unloved etc and trying to create new habits instead of eating.
    If you don't change the foundation you will eventually give in. I saw it a lot of times, I made this mistake too. Women lost incredible amount of weight, maintained it for a year or 2-3, then something major happened or they just thought they could eat that one slice of cake and the flood gate broke. All the hard work had gone down the drain.

IMHO, there are 2 or more ways to look at this. One way, is how you just described... getting to the root of the problem... searching for cause and effect.... nipping it in the bud, so to speak. Another way, is the way that alot of posters have said.... which is to simply 'control' it.... and don't let it get out of hand. Your way may work for you, and their way may work for them.

This makes me think of the term 'food addiction....' I often wonder if this term has any real meaning... since we all HAVE to eat, right? So, what exactly IS a 'food addiction?' I think I might have to use the SEARCH on this.

:bigsmile:
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I try to find a raw vegan alternative.

-Raw vegan cheesecake is delicious and super simple to make!
    -Raw coconut truffles (whole foods).
    -Kale chips in place of regular chips (not the same crunch but the flavor profiles are the same). I buy the Brad's brand of kale chips.
    -Mashed frozen bananas blended with dates in place of ice cream. Taste even better with dark chocolate bits, peanut butter, and/or espresso/coffee shot
    -"iced coffee" blend. - raw bananas, dates, crushed ice, cold water, raw cocoa powder, and 1/2 cup of coffee. This tastes like dessert!
  • Charliejl82
    Options
    I don't buy it. But then once a month I give into to all cravings. Like today I've eaten what I want. It helps me stay focussed or otherwise I'll just pick at bits of naughty foods throughout the week. I'd rather have a binge once a month to keep me on track. It's never hindered my progress.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I dont avoid junk food cravings. I feel them, I think about them and if my calorie count allows, I have something. If it doesnt, its pretty easy to fool my brain by eating something else instead or drinking water.