JM videos -- cardio w/weights or strength training?

Options
Obviously I'm talking about videos where Jillian incorporates weights into the routine, such as 30 Day Shred and No More Trouble Zones. I've heard some people on here say it's just cardio with some weights added on, others say its resistance, and others call it strength training. I always assumed it was strength training, and it's the only weights routine I've really liked and been able to stick to. I'm hoping it'll help me maintain what little muscle I do have, and lower my risk of injury when running. Thoughts?

Replies

• Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    *listens*

This is a question I've had for a while.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I've always thought of 30DS as circuit training, cardio with strength and NMTZ as more strength with light cardio because of the warmup and how fast she moves in some of the exercises. I've never seen that DVD pegged as cardio in reviews.

With 30DS, my HRM actually had me burning more with level 1 (and I know this varies a lot per person) because the strength was more in the other levels.

I really like Banish Fat DVD for pure cardio, she really gives you a great workout.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've always thought of 30DS as circuit training, cardio with strength and NMTZ as more strength with light cardio because of the warmup and how fast she moves in some of the exercises. I've never seen that DVD pegged as cardio in reviews.

With 30DS, my HRM actually had me burning more with level 1 (and I know this varies a lot per person) because the strength was more in the other levels.

I really like Banish Fat DVD for pure cardio, she really gives you a great workout.

I agree with you, but apparently if you're not lifting heavy, it's just cardio with weights, at least according to some MFPers. :/ I'm not sure what's fact and what's fiction at this point.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I never think of strength with cardio the same way...I burn way more with just cardio but doing both also helps burn fat overall.

If you lift too heavy, it's slower movements. I use 5-15, heavier for back/chest, but my heart rate monitor still doesn't register what it does with pure cardio.

I just like to mix it up, I have about 4 of her DVD's and use others to keep my body guessing and use different muscle groups.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    People are always going to argue about labels. I call it "circuit training" but that doesn't mean it isn't "cardio with weights." If its the only '"strength training" you do, well, its better than nothing. My advice would be to increase the hand weights when possible. Many people have great results with those workouts, whatever you want to call them:)
  • FitFabFlirty92
    Options
    People are always going to argue about labels. I call it "circuit training" but that doesn't mean it isn't "cardio with weights." If its the only '"strength training" you do, well, its better than nothing. My advice would be to increase the hand weights when possible. Many people have great results with those workouts, whatever you want to call them:)

Very true! Circuit training makes a lot more sense than any of the other labels I've heard. I do plan on gradually increasing the weights, I'm working with 3 lbs. now because it's been awhile since I worked out and I want to work my way back up to my 5 lb. dumbbells, which for me were really heavy. Reaching 10 lbs. one day would be a HUGE accomplishment for me. :)
  • ronit1601
    Options
    cardio w/ compound exercises works good if u want to lose the extra fat from your body because when we combine our cardio workout with strength training we start burning our calorie 24*7.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    Options
    bump
  • FitFabFlirty92
    Options
    Bumping one more time to see if I can get more answers. :)