Will I lose 5 pounds and get toned with this?

Options
In the process of losing weight I have got some saggy body parts from past. I have re-joined the gym. My goal is to shape up my body and lose 5 more pounds. My personal trainer made a schedule for me to follow. Please tell me if this sounds like I will lose the pounds and get toned.

Mon: 11 minute HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) on bike. Then free-weight toning exercises.
Tue: 11 minute HIIT. Then work on 9 machines doing 20 reps 2-3 times.
Wed: 45 minute to an hour long slow cardio on treadmill, bike, stairs, or elliptical.
Thu: 11 minute HIIT. Then free-weight toning exercises.
Fri: 11 minute HIIT. Then work on 9 machines doing 20 reps 2-3 times.

I currently weigh 128 pounds and am 5'3" in height. I am also meeting a nutritionist who will share healthy meal options next week. Please give me your input.

Replies

• theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    It's hard to really say without knowing what your maintenance caloric intake is. But that is a pretty good workout regimen and if you watch your nutrition you should see weight decrease. The best way to handle it is to gauge it week to week and take it from there. There are also calculators online to help you figure out your approximate caloric maintenance levels. Hope this helps cheers :)

Here is a link to one
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2331301&page=1
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without knowing your TDEE and how much you're eating per day. The workout schedule itself sounds fine, though I'm not sure what you mean by "free-weight toning exercises".
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    What are "toning" exercises?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    In the process of losing weight I have got some saggy body parts from past. I have re-joined the gym. My goal is to shape up my body and lose 5 more pounds. My personal trainer made a schedule for me to follow. Please tell me if this sounds like I will lose the pounds and get toned.

Mon: 11 minute HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) on bike. Then free-weight toning exercises.
    Wed: 45 minute to an hour long slow cardio on treadmill, bike, stairs, or elliptical.

I currently weigh 128 pounds and am 5'3" in height. I am also meeting a nutritionist who will share healthy meal options next week. Please give me your input.
    It makes me upset inside that people pay to get put on routines like this...

Look, there's no such thing as 'toning exercises.' Tone is built by strength training (high weight/low reps) to increase muscle mass in conjunction with losing weight. Also, ditch the machines and use free weights -- the machines constrain your range of motion to the point it's unnatural (not a big deal at light weights but it matters as you progress) and fails to work stabilizing muscles to build...well, more 'tone.'
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Maybe the trainer trades out the words heavy lifting and strength training for toning so that more women will be less intimidated/reluctant to at least try them?
  • pavrg
    Options
    Except 18 sets of 20 reps on machines is not strength training, it's endurance training and will have very minimal effect on muscle tone.

Unfortunately, prominent use of steroids have warped our perception of what weights actually do to a person, male or female.

PS: Also, 11 minutes of HIIT? For starters, 11 is a strange number, and secondly if OP doesn't already have a cardio base which takes a month or two to build, then HIIT is not possible to even do.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Op beat me to it 3 set of 20 reps 9 difference machines is not strength training, over 10/12 reps a set is used for muscle endurance , personally I would only do 3 sets of 10 per exercise at 70-85% 1RM
  • igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    Losing lbs won't get you "toned", reducing body fat and increasing muscle mass will. Tell your personal trainer you want to lift weights.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Getting into the gym and exercising 5x per week is good. Is it a routine I would do? No. It's not good strength training. But it will still provide a net positive for the OP. Coupled with a moderate calorie deficit, OP will lose her 5 lbs and be and feel more fit.

Regarding that calorie deficit, that's what this site/app provides. No idea what the nutritionist will say, but track the calories and eat to target and you will lose weight. Good luck.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Well, as I've stated elsewhere, "tone" refers to the stiffness that relaxed muscle tissue exhibits. E.g., I have hypertonicity in my upper traps and neck because I have a slow-death-by-chair job. My range of motion is often restricted and requires medical intervention.

I'm pretty sure what you mean, though, is seeing more definition in your muscles. That is simply a function of removing subcutaneous fat from over the top of them. So it's really your diet that gets the job done.

I don't really get the 3 sets of 20 reps either. Maybe your trainer's having you work on some form issues? The only time mine has me do 20 reps of anything is during active warmup (hip thrusters, side lunges, etc.) and working on form with light weight on seated row or lat pulldowns, things that help me reinforce correct shoulder girdle positioning. It would probably only be one set, and it certainly wouldn't be the entire workout!

If it was me, I'd want to do the HIIT after hitting the weights. HIIT would leave you so gassed you wouldn't be able to do weights afterwards. I agree 11 minutes is strange. If it's Tabata protocol HIIT, it should be 4 minutes, and 4 minutes of pure hell at that. You wouldn't be able to do it longer than that, because if you could, you needed to go harder during the 4 minutes. And there would be some time before and after to warm up and cool down. It'd usually be about 15-20 minutes all told.

I tend to do one long, slow cardio a week too, because I'm working on C25K treadmill at the same time as my strength training. It's slow going, of course, but since it's not my priority, who cares? I like doing it. If you like doing it, it should be fine. Personally, though, I would rather have that day as a rest/mobility day and do the LSC on the weekend.

Any which way, though, if your trainer has you doing progressively heavier weightlifting, it'll help you get in shape no matter what.

You might find that it would help more with the saggy areas to lose the fat that's covering the muscle until you get the definition you're looking for in some places, then switch to a small surplus and hit the weights at a weight that allows you to work in the hypertrophy range (10-12 reps) to build up the muscles in your saggy areas and fill out the skin a bit. But then, I have no direct experience with that, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm not here to look a certain way; my goals are all performance-based. I just want to get as strong as I possibly can.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    First off, I don't think you need to lose 5lbs. You're at a really good weight for your height (though I don't know your specific body type). I think that you will be better off if you concentrate on losing fat/flab rather than losing weight. And I agree that I don't think the routine you described is going to get you the results you're looking for. I would go with lower reps and higher weight on the machines, and spread it out to do less machines at one time.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    others have pretty much covered it ..but I would ditch the machines and go with free weights and focus on compound lifts - bench press, overhead press, deadlift, squat, pull/chins, etc..and work in a 8 to 12 rep range.....

Instead of 11 minutes of HIIT you should aim for a certain number of sprints; like i will do 6 sprints at 30 seconds each with 45 seconds rest in between and that is it ...sometimes I go 8 sprints, but only if I am really into it...
  • pavrg
    Options
    I actually do my cardio before lifting. It gets the oxygen flowing and lets me lift more without requiring warmup sets. It's all personal preference there's no right answer to which to do first.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options

• Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely such a thing as toning exercises. To learn more about them one might visit the American council
    on exercise ACE website

With regard to how to do what you are asking, if you ask 5 different people, you will,probably get 5 different answers because there is more than one way to skin a cat however, there is science behind much of this.
    I would not recommend machines because of what we know and I would not recommend weights AFTER cardio again, for the same reason.

I would recommend full body exercises, and not isolation exercises or machines and yes hit training
    The idea behind it would be to burn fat and put muscle on your body that will burn fat even while you.re sleeping!

Most importantly I would discover what it is in your diet that is jeopardizing your weight loss. I took a peek at your diet and can see what it is very clearly.

Joanne Moniz,
    The skinny on obesity group
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    What are "toning" exercises?

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I second that question ... I would *kitten*-ume (lol-ly-pants) that would be leg lifts or body weight/mat Pilates type stuff ...

20 reps ... no ... as a trainer myself, I start people who want to, in your words "tone", at 8-12 reps depending on the exercise ... I also do Pilates reformer, which is a whole other thing when it comes to reps ... but for free weights and machines, 8-12 reps, last 2 reps being the hardest ... with free weights, 20 is just a (<That was my edit, yes, I am THAT OCD) fru-fru waste of time based on your goals ...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely such a thing as toning exercises. To learn more about them one might visit the American council
    on exercise ACE website
    There are exercises done by body weight resistance or resistance provided by a machine or dumbell/barbell. They have names like barbell curls, machine curls, dumbell curls, but there isn't such a thing as "toning" curls. All the curls "tone up" muscle though.

IDEA Fitness member