Exercise with plantar fasciitis?

New to this board, and trying to get some weight loss going again! I've like any thoughts about how to do an exercise routine with
plantar fascittis.

My story is this: I started putting on some serious weight in my mid-late 20s. Previous to this, I was always ever-so-slightly overweight. I'm 5'10 and spent most of my young adult years bouncing around 160-180. For whatever reason, I started to put on weight very quickly, and at age 30, I had reached 300+ pounds. There were (and are) lots of factors; depression, food cravings, finally having the money to spend on food I actually wanted, lack of exercise (I walked *everywhere* in college!). I developed sleep apnea around age 28 and struggled with it for a few years.

I had my wake up moment when, the summer before I turned 30, I contracted cellulitis and landed in the hospital for 2 weeks as the damage spread to my kidneys. I vividly remember my weight being announced as 340 pounds, and I was diagnosed as being diabetic--though that was a mistake, I didn't know that for a few years, so I watched my diet pretty closely.

Over the next 3 years I slowly managed to lose 100 pounds, getting down to 240 in 2006 but unable to get any lower. There I was stuck. I hovered around 240-250 for a few years, but in 2008 I developed severe plantar fasciitis--causing excruciating pain whenever I walk or put pressure on my feet. No treatments worked. I began to wear custom orthotics which make it bearable, but all of my old exercise routines were shot. The weight slowly crept back until I was in the 280s in 2010. I then got pregnant with my son, and later contracted gestational diabetes, so I watched my weight closely. Post-pregnancy in spring 2011 I was back down to 248 pounds. I remember thinking, 'don't waste this!" Well, I did. Of course.

Last winter was particularly brutal and I ate terribly, and the weight has quickly come back. Weighed myself a few weeks ago and I was shocked to see I was back up to 294 pounds. The sleep apnea came back several months ago, my feet are killing me, and I am exhausted.

So here I am again: Only this time, instead of being 30, I'm turning 40 in a few weeks. And I have a toddler son. And I have untreated sleep apnea, which I can no longer afford to treat because of my current health insurance. And I have plantar fasciitis. And I don't know what to do.

Plan #1 is to address my eating, which has been as horrible as you can imagine. But I also want to find SOME kind of exercise to help my sluggish metabolism, which has never been good. I can't afford to see any doctors this time around. My company has me on a terrible HRA plan with a very limited amount of account dollars, which I have to save for my toddler son who gets every illness under the sun. I also can't afford a gym membership to do any pool activities. I live in a major metropolitan area but there isn't a Y nearby and I would have no one to watch my son anyway. (My husband works a crappy retail job, mostly evenings and weekends, as he lost his 'real' job during the recession. So I'm basically a single mom on the weekends).

I'm feeling rather stuck. I tried talking to my doctor during my annual checkup, but he's like most doctors--he hears my roadblocks as excuses, that "I'd find a way" if I really wanted to. Well, there is a little truth to that, but what I really need is someone to help me think past the toddler, the lack of money, the plantar fasciitis, the sleep apnea I can't afford to treat and leaves me so exhausted I am falling asleep at work. I need ideas, not someone telling me I'm making excuses.

ANY thoughts / ideas would be very appreciated!

Replies

• Hi and welcome!
    Well I wish I had some really good advice for you but I don't know what the pain of plantar fasciitis is like - I can't imagine how brutal that is, of course in addition to medical and financial strains too. But there will be a way and you will find it.

I can't see your food diary on here so can't comment on that... Do you track your food on here? I find it so helpful, as it really keeps you accountable to yourself. I hope you don't mind me asking but do said you eat horribly, do you get cravings for "bad" foods like chips, sweets etc? Or just hungry a lot? Cause if it's cravings, I give myself a treat once a week (chocolate since it's my fave) and otherwise eat healthy, as much as I can. I find a snack of fruit to be just as yummy as sweets! Or my fave, toast with strawberry jam. Although you said you are diabetic so I know jam and fruit has sugar to be wary of... I'm sorry I'm kind of rambling, just want to be able to suggest something helpful for you.

My advice would be to focus more on diet than on exercise, since exercise hurts so much. There's also the old saying, "You can't out-exercise a bad diet!" Which is so true. And by diet I don't mean drastically reducing calories and starving, I just mean the composition of what you eat. Try to make healthy swaps during the day, more and more until it becomes natural.

Remember they say it takes 21 days to form a new habit or break one. So challenge yourself for 21 days to eat healthier, and then it won't feel like work anymore after that. Worked for me!

Anyway I hope that helped a bit. Good luck with your journey - believe in yourself and you can do it! :)
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    First off, you're on the right track with taking care of your eating first. As you start to lose weight, the PF will get better.

As far as exercise goes, here's a few options:

1. Yoga. Very low impact, and the stretching aspect will probably help the PF as well. You can buy dvd's to do at home for $10 - $20. The right yoga session can be a very intense workout.

2. An exercise bike (or a real bike with a toddler seat) should be doable if you keep the balls of your feet on the pedals, instead of planting your arches on them. In fact, the stretching effect of this could actually help with the PF

3. Along the same lines as #2, you may be able to find a rowing machine pretty cheap on something like craigslist. If you roll up a couple of hand towels and put them in the arches of your foot, and then do most of the pushing with the balls of your feet, you'll probably be able to handle that.

4. Is your toddler a boy? If so, getting down on the ground and wrestling with him for 30-40 minutes will burn some calories. My kid loved to use me as a jungle gym/punching bag/horse/crane/younameit. Half an hour or so of that and I was sweaty and exhausted. And even girls like to roughhouse, they're just not as aggressive (although some are). And every kid loves to be picked up and flown around the room.

Also, maybe you already know this, but get a couple of bottled waters and put them in the freezer. Once they freeze, put them on the ground and roll your feet on them. 5 minutes of this will give you a lot of relief.

Hope this helps.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    I agree with what ^ they said. Do want to add though I plantar fasciitis (developed it last Fall). If flared up for quite sonetime and derailed my workouts. There are some foot workouts you can google. The biggest thing that helped me though was getting a couple tennis balls and rolling them back and forth and around my feet (usually while seated). It helped stretch things out and allowed me to walk again without pain and I can hike now with little discomfort from it.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Swim, cycle, row, lift weights.
    If it isn't very bad, you can walk with PF - just make sure you're in appropriate shoes.

Definitely the tennis ball, or roll on a bottle of chilled water. Also, when you're sitting watching tv, just rub the tendon (runs in the arch of your foot) and rotate the toes to help loosen things up.
    Get a strassburg sock if you can afford it. If not, you can jimmy one up using these instructions. http://fitfunmom.com/2012/12/11/how-to-make-your-own-no-sew-plantar-fasciitis-sock/

But in my experience, foot pain reduces as the weight comes off - I imagine 20-40 lbs down, it won't bother you anymore.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    I thought I had plantar fasciitis but my chiropractor adjusted my knee instead and all the symptoms disappeared. I am fully recovered after only two sessions of treatment. Worth looking into?
  • I agree with what ^ they said. Do want to add though I plantar fasciitis (developed it last Fall). If flared up for quite sonetime and derailed my workouts. There are some foot workouts you can google. The biggest thing that helped me though was getting a couple tennis balls and rolling them back and forth and around my feet (usually while seated). It helped stretch things out and allowed me to walk again without pain and I can hike now with little discomfort from it.

My doctor suggested frozen bottles of water and roll them back and forth on the floor with your foot.

As to the OP... weight loss is in the kitchen, fitness is in the gym. If you are able to get your diet in check, the weight will come off.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Yeah, the ball thing really helped me too... Eventually mine cleared up after doing that...
  • TDiaz214
    TDiaz214 Posts: 108 Member
    I get flare ups of it whenever I try to jog for a long distance so I know how painful it can be. What I have done is get a tennis ball and roll it on your heel on each foot and stretch before you do any exercise.

What you can do is perhaps look at activities which are light on your feet, such as swimming, using a cross trainer ? Walking slowly with a pair of good fitted trainers can also be helpful as footwear has alot to do with it.
  • jenjen828
    jenjen828 Posts: 58 Member
    My podiatrist had me stretching my achiles tendon by sitting in a chair, rolling up a towel, and placing it under the arch of my foot. Then take the ends of the towel and lift your leg with it extended straight out in front of you. Pull on the ends of the towel until you feel a good stretch (yes, this hurts, but it will help with the PF).

I can walk, jog and once the PF is under control you can too, but you may have to take an ibuprophen afterwards. Also, if you go to the podiatrist, they can do cortisone shots that will take care of it. They hurt like heck, but if you need to heal, they will fix the problem and you can exercise and do what you need to do.

Now, you can do biking, elliptical and basically anything that does not put a lot of impact on your heels.

I have lost 40 pounds in the last 3 months and usually exercise 5-6 days a week. I am not having ANY trouble at the moment with PF, and I feel great!!! I started out around where you are, and when I started, I could only do 15 minutes or so on the elliptical. Now, I can go a good 50 minutes and have been known to push and go 65 minutes on it.

It will not be easy. You will have to lose your excuses. You will have to take a good, long honest look at yourself and figure out what is really important to you and do it. Even if you have to call a friend or family member to help keep your child for a few moments while you exercise. The main thing is any time you want to make a change, you will lose the excuses.

I say this because my husband and I are both working jobs paying less than what we should be making due to job cuts and the economy. I can not afford a gym membership, but I can afford $5-10 workout dvds at wal mart. I have an exercise bike and an elliptical at home..and if you look at yard sales you can find really cheap exercise equipment that works great. Sometimes you can even find familiy members who have equipment they don't use that they may let you borrow or buy. If they know you are trying to exercise and lose weight, they will more than likely do ANYTHING they can to help support you. Just let them know what you need.

The bottom line is the less weight you put on your feet, the less irritated the plantar facia will get irritated on impact. It is the cruel hard truth of the matter. Exercise stretches everything out and keeps everything in working order...and it will help you take the weight off which will help with the PF.

Just my thoughts on PF and exercise as someone who is very obese and kicking obesity's butt with every food choice and minute of exercise I put in each and every day. It is a battle, but if you really want it, you can do it!!!
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    I had a flare up of this last autumn, excruciating! Difficult to now where to strike your foot when you walk -it all hurts so I have a lot of sympathy. I googled it and found all of the above but the thing that worked for me was strapping around the foot - the same kind of strapping athletes use, it shows you where on the net. It not only reduced the pain when I walked but it also sorted the problem. Good luck xx
  • I personally have tarsal tunnel syndrome. In case you don't know what that is, it is like carpal tunnel in both my feet. Surgery didn't help, it was too late and I have permanent nerve damage. Instead of taking meds I take a co-enzyme b-complex vitamin and ortho shoes. Needless to say, that has made it difficult to find an exercise I can do without extreme pain. But I finally found one..... Exercise bike with elliptical arms to work a lot of the body at one time. Because I am not putting weight on my feet it definitely helps. I looked up "non weight bearing" exercises. Swimming was at the top of the list but I don't have a pool or a gym membership. So I bought an exercise/elliptical bike and have never been happier. I get to burn cals and get some cardio. You can also do weight training. I sit down to do it.
    Best of luck, I hope you find what helps you.

ps.I also watch my cals and try to eat right. =)
  • dian1227
    dian1227 Posts: 122 Member
    I agree with what ^ they said. Do want to add though I plantar fasciitis (developed it last Fall). If flared up for quite sonetime and derailed my workouts. There are some foot workouts you can google. The biggest thing that helped me though was getting a couple tennis balls and rolling them back and forth and around my feet (usually while seated). It helped stretch things out and allowed me to walk again without pain and I can hike now with little discomfort from it.

My doctor suggested frozen bottles of water and roll them back and forth on the floor with your foot.

As to the OP... weight loss is in the kitchen, fitness is in the gym. If you are able to get your diet in check, the weight will come off.

I could not agree more ---we have to understand first that getting the weight off starts in the kitchen AMEN to that. Fitness can come later... I am a sufferer of extreme foot pain. Thinking for a year or so now that I have PF as well, so the long walks that were my fitness routine have become a thing of the past. I have had to learn to cut my calories and I've seen the weight start to move. I believe that when I get 40 or 50lbs down the foot pain will start to go too.

Eat fresh and healthy - and clean. Keep the nasty carbs to a minimum and I believe you will see results.

Good luck and God bless.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    nothing fundamentally 'nasty' about carbs.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

I recently attended a presentation that also suggested trying to use a foam roller on the calves prior to exercise.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I do not know about any exercise. That's tough. Mine has been so bad a few times that even riding the bike was difficult. Someone suggested using a rowing machine. That's a good idea. Has never been too hard on my feet because you keep them flat and there is no pounding. Best of all, it tends to burn a lot of calories.
    But, i do know about getting it better.
    Here is a handout from the University of Rochester, outlining a couple of stretches. The first stretch they discuss is very important and very effective. It was developed by a guy named DiGiovanni. He took people who had suffered from plantar fasciitis for at least a year and could not get it better with conventional stretches and/or a night boot. He figured that if a stretch created by standing with the balls of your feet on the edge of a step was good, this stretch -- with the toes bent back -- would be better, because it would target the fascia better. He got like 80 percent of his subjects "much better" or cured.
    Try it. Do it three times a day. It has worked wonders for me.
    http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/ortho/foot-ankle/_documents/plantarfasciitisteachingsheet.pdf
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    I'm so sorry for the situation you find yourself in. I remember what it's like to feel stuck...not enough time, not enough money, young children to take care of, weight-related illnesses plaguing you. I also have suffered from plantar fasciitis; luckily, it's been something controllable for me.

What physical therapists taught me is how much of our pain in one area actually comes from other parts of the body. They taught me to get my calves stretched out...they were very right, they always tend to be tight, with short muscles, for me. So...heating pad on them for 10 minute to warm them up, then calf stretches. Hold the stretch for at least one minute, that's how long it takes the muscle to give in and stretch a little. Best stretch for me was to put balls of feet on a step and let the heels go down. Don't force it, be gentle with yourself, no pain. Hold onto something for balance.

People are right that the important part of weight loss is what you eat. You'll almost certainly find the fasciitis improving as you lose weight. But I understand and applaud the desire to MOVE, to feel a little healthier, and it does support your better eating habit. When we feel healthier, we act healthier.

My recommendation would be CHAIR AEROBICS and you can find several videos on youtube. Free, no pressure on the feet, you're building some new muscle as well as aerobic fitness. Just start out gently...only a few minutes, and doing a mild form of the movements. Add a little bit every day...an extra minute, a little more defined movement. One thing you don't need at this point i an exercise injury.

Since you live in a metropolitan area, it might be worthwhile to check out the less expensive gyms in your area. My local 24-Hour Fitness has a whirlpool (nice on those calves) and a swimming pool with water aerobic classes as well as all the standard gym equipment (elliptical might be good, because it doesn't involve stepping your foot up and down...if you can stand on your feet, you can probably do elliptical.) . Some of the 24-Hour gyms have child-care centers. and my membership is costing $27 a month; check online for specials and grab one when it comes up.
  • et57
    et57 Posts: 20 Member
    Things that worked best for me when I had the dreaded pf: stretches that focused on the calves, orthaheel shoe inserts and a light weight dorsal splint that I wore at night to keep my foot in the flexed position so that it didn't tighten up and hurt to walk in the morning. I liked the splnt because my feet get too hot in the sock or boot type splints.
  • Autum1031
    Autum1031 Posts: 83 Member
    THANK YOU everyone! I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond--said toddler usually keeps me super busy on the weekends. Some of these things I have tried before, like the stationary bike, (major OW), the ice bottles and the tennis balls. I've also tried the cortisone shots, the splint that you wear at night, and some of the stretching exercises. I saw some other ones listed here though that I haven't tried before--so I will certainly give them a shot.

Water based activities would be the best, but they are just not possible right now since it requires a gym membership of some kind. I have no friends in the area to babysit, plus we can't afford a gym membership.

I agree with everyone that the eating/diet/etc comes first. I think what concerns me is that I developed the PF when i weighed quite a bit less than I do now (though, obviously still overweight). I can lose 50 pounds and I'll be at the weight I was when I developed it. I do agree with the group, that weight loss will *definitely* help, but it makes me discouraged as I feel the PF will never go away. I've had it now for 5 years with no relief in sight.

Thank you all! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the real suggestions. I get so tired of people saying "oh it's just an excuse." Um, no, the pain is quite crippling, thank you, and we have to worry about things like a mortgage and food, not a gym membership.
  • Wrreck
    Wrreck Posts: 99 Member
    Get a FootSmart SmartFlexx Stretching Device from Footsmart. It worked like a miracle for me. Just a couple of days of stretching with it and all of the pain and symptoms were gone.