Chain diet planning

Options
I know it seems a bit strange but I really LOVE switching it up. I'll go paleo, then vegan, then vegetarian, then raw, then low cal, then low carb, then just exercise more... and then find something else and try that....

Is this really that bad? As long as the bottom line is that weight loss is still happening and that energy and nutrition levels are high, it seems like it would be okay to be everchanging. I could see possible nutritional side effects being that your body may go into a sort of shock by limiting certain foods then in a month going back to only eating those limited foods.

My main problem is I cannot see myself staying on any one of these diets forever. I have had this cycle of dieting my entire life and it is not something I feel is possible to stop.

I know that the consensus is that it is a lifestyle change and will take more than a month of commitment to get you there. But what if that's wrong? Maybe it can take one month here, then another month right after of something else. I feel like I'm chain dieting!

Is this bad in the long run? I am not going in and out of ketosis (never got low enough for long enough to even get the ketostix to be pink)... so as long as the weight keeps coming off, is it okay? Am I totally destroying my body or is this actually helping by tricking my body into constantly readjusting.

My biggest dilemma is the low carb/low cal diets -- I'm really not sure which way to go so I just hop back and forth :\

Replies

• ballerina_tea
    ballerina_tea Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do different types of calorie counting/IF depending on how I feel... No need to do the same old thing imo. Once I go into maintaining I'll just incorporate lesser forms of each. Did you really lose weight going vegetarian though? I got fat. lol To an extent trying new things could cause you to gain weight, which is why I gained... finding a bunch of new & interesting veggie options kept me eating all the time.
  • bob_day
    Options
    Your diet is pretty unusual, but offhand I would say you're just fine. As long as you feel good and don't feel tired, weak or run-down, I wouldn't worry too much. Remember, over our millions of years of evolution our bodies have adapted to a great many things. With your variety of diets, your microbiome and digestive system probably stay ready for just about anything. Just to be on the safe side though, it might be a good idea to get regular checkups by your doctor, including a comprehensive set of blood tests.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things, I don't see where something like that matters much. We all eat different foods all the time. We may go from eating the same thing for lunch for a few weeks and get tired of that and start eating something else for a little while. A "normal" diet should consist of different foods, that will make it much easier to maintain in the long run. As long as your staying around your calorie goal for the day your not really doing anything but eating different foods. If it works I don't see the issue...
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I think it's got to be better for you to rotate through different fad diets vs. doing the same one long-term. Why not just eat things without using different kinds of restrictions, though?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I doubt it's a major concern as long as you aren't doing any stupid diets with very low calorie intake or extreme restriction or something along those lines. In the end as long as you're in a deficit you'll lose weight. Long-term, you're gonna run out of fad diets to try so I would recommend trying to learn how to eat reasonably for the rest of your life...at least at some point!
  • hulahoopmama
    hulahoopmama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If I don't restrict myself either caloricly (if that's a word) or some other way I will splurge for sure! I like some of your responses that it may actually be beneficial! I definitely follow a rotation of diets, not that I'm only doing one at a time. I almost see it as "try this then cleanse" over and over... I was thinking next I'll just do non-GMO! No soy, no wheat, only organic and then my organs won't be dying either - added bonus. I enjoy being creative with my food and find that the only way from keeping me from splurging is to restrict it in some way, and that will definitely be a long-term option. Even if it is everchanging... I guess that's the pisces in me!
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Why do we have to have a food plan with a name? Why follow a diet someone who doesn't know us made up? Here's what one of my friends posted this morning:

" My new co-worker lost 60 pounds a few years ago and is now fit and a body builder. I asked her if she had any of the cake some one else left on the back table at work. She said yes! She said I am what you call a Tablespoon taster. She has some of whatever she wants, but just a Tablespoon of it. Which reminded me of what Bethanny Frankel said. "You can NEVER binge. But no one ever got fat from one cookie." There is a lot to be said for moderation."

I have a hard time eating just one, or just one tablespoon, of anything, but I'm off diets. I don't want to follow someone else's rules. Switching around from plan to plan sounds to me like the next best thing!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I know it seems a bit strange but I really LOVE switching it up. I'll go paleo, then vegan, then vegetarian, then raw, then low cal, then low carb, then just exercise more... and then find something else and try that....
    My biggest dilemma is the low carb/low cal diets -- I'm really not sure which way to go so I just hop back and forth :\
    Nothing wrong with jumping around if you LIKE jumping around. I experimented with vegan and vegetarian and rejected them. Anything that starts with the word "No" is not for me. :smile: (i.e. no meat, no potatoes, no wheat) I've customized something that is right for me and when it stops working for me, I change it again and not before.