Runners and Wind (not the Weather type)

Options
OK if you don't want to hear about toilet habits leave now .................... (I do expect this thread to degrade to a base level but serious answers will also be greatly received)

Ok as a reasonably new runner I've noticed my bodies creation of wind that wishes to expel itself especially on longer runs. In fact on one run it I nearly had to make a visit to a local bush but I managed to avoid this.
Is this just me? Is it a specific issue with Vegan runners?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's just an issue with runners - pretty much everyone gets this.

If it's just wind, you've got no option other than to let it go. If you need the loo... more complex. Plan your route so you go near a public loo, do a figure of 8 so you can dash home if you must, or make use of a bush... I live in the middle of nowhere, so when I'm doing a properly long run, it's a big issue!

You can try paying attention to what you eat before and on the day of a big run. bananas are naturally binding - you could eat one before. Some people (I've done this successfully) have a strong black coffee before a run, to 'clear out' before they go. I've found cutting dairy the day before helps a lot.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's just an issue with runners - pretty much everyone gets this.

If it's just wind, you've got no option other than to let it go. If you need the loo... more complex. Plan your route so you go near a public loo, do a figure of 8 so you can dash home if you must, or make use of a bush... I live in the middle of nowhere, so when I'm doing a properly long run, it's a big issue!

You can try paying attention to what you eat before and on the day of a big run. bananas are naturally binding - you could eat one before. Some people (I've done this successfully) have a strong black coffee before a run, to 'clear out' before they go. I've found cutting dairy the day before helps a lot.
    Thankyou. great to know i'm not 'Special'
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Just realised you said vegan, sorry obviously cutting dairy isn't a good tip! :-)

Experiment with food till you find what helps most with the long runs.

It's horrid when it grips you out and about!

Also, what I find is that as my runs get longer, the point where it strikes gets further along. Pretty much always about 2 miles from home!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Totally agree on the two miles from home bit. My longest runs are around 9 miles normally I try not to eat too close to leaving and if I do it's normally a Banana or Trek bar or similar. I'll try some experimentation with my food. Thanks again for the advice