Chinese takeaway...

Options
So I have lost 11lb and I'm feeling proud tonight me and my husband to be are planning a treat night. I'm nor going crazy but Chinese takeaway is on the menu. I know it's hard to calorie count these things but I think chicken chow mien or schiezuan chicken with boiled rice would be a good option. Does anyone else have any healthier suggestions?

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I read an article about counting calories with Chinese food once. I can't remember all of it, but I know it said to stay away from anything fried or sugary like orange chicken, sweet and sour meat dishes or Mongolian beef. It also said to stay away from fried rice. Sorry if I wasn't much help, but definitely avoid the fried and the sugary stuff. My only problem is staying away from the egg rolls. They are heaven in my mouth!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I had it yesterday for take out...I ate spring roll, crab ragoons, noodles, pork, deep fried chicken, and spareribs...

Eat what you want just smaller portions. What I find is the actual weight of the food is hard to guess...I use the food scale at home before I eat it.
  • igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    On days when my family decide to eat out or eat foods that I don't know how the calories of, I just use it as a cheat meal/day. I'd suggest doing this and just enjoying what you're eating because as much as you might want to convince yourself that you're taking a healthy option, you just don't know. You've lost 11lbs. Use this meal as a reward and enjoy it.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it, be sensible if that is your wish but if being sensible spoils your enjoyment then eat what you are going to enjoy. Personally I would weigh it at home and try and log the closest food I could, however everyone's approach is different.

Just remember you would have to eat a very large amount of calories in one day to undo the work you have done so isn't going to happen

Also don't weigh yourself the next day because if there is even a slight weight gain (probably water) it makes some feel guilty about what they have eaten

Enjoy :-)
  • leapsonbounds
    leapsonbounds Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you can find something steamed that you like, they're not too bad on calories. Like steamed dumplings (usually you can choose between vegetarian or chicken), and steamed shumai (sp?). Egg drop soup isn't too bad with calories. Good luck & have fun. And remember that one night of Chinese food isn't going to ruin your whole diet. If you go overboard, just get back on track tomorrow.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Eat some soup first to fill you up and only have boiled rice instead of fried rice. If you like seafood or vegetarian they will be lower calorie if not deep fried.
  • becca767789
    becca767789 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies. It was a big help. I think getting the balance of healthy eating and treats has been hard in the past. I seem to be an all or nothing type of woman. But this time I want to make positive changes for good!