Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

MFP's Algorithm versus Actual Weight Loss Experience

This morning I decided to analyze my weight loss from last week. I wanted to see how close my actual result was to what my logging and MFP's algorithm indicate it should be.

Background information:

MFP Goal Inputs: CW 196.5, GW 174, 5' 10" male, age 62, sedentary daily activities, 5 x 60 minute workouts weekly, lose 1 pound weekly

MFP Daily Nutritional Goal (calories): 1620

All food and exercise logged. All food portions weighed with food scale. All MFP food database items confirmed for accuracy. All exercise performed using properly calibrated HRM.

Results from Week Ending 9/21 versus MFP results predicted:

Starting weight: 199 Ending weight: 196.5 Weight loss: 2.5 pounds

Total of daily calories remaining for week: S 711 S 785 M 338 T 794 W 405 T 719 F 639 Total = 4391. 4391 remaining calories divided by 3500 (3500 is the average required to lose - or gain - one pound) = 1.25 extra pounds loss predicted above MFP weekly goal of 1 pound per week.

Conclusion: My actual weight loss of 2.5 pounds is quite close to the expected outcome of 2.25 pounds from MFP's algorithm

Note: I am working to reach a new goal of <10% body fat. I reached my original weight goal in 2011 and have given some of it back. During the giveback my logging was sporadic.

Replies

• Did you eat back all your exercise calories?
    I haven't calculated exactly but I usually lose at the speed it says.
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    some but not all. my daily goal is 1620 calories. i normally burn between 500 and 1000 calories working out. last week i had leftover calories between 300 and 700 depending on the day.

i noticed you don't have any friends yet. is that by choice? if you want your first one i will. i usually post something encouraging each day on my friends' updates...
  • melissaondesko
    melissaondesko Posts: 8 Member
    You're doing some strength training, right?
  • fh1951
    yes, i do strength training 3 days a week
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    May I ask how you burn 500-1000 cals in an hour workout? I'd love to copy that programme! (I'm not being vicicious)
  • fh1951
    1) by staying in great shape (my VO2 max is >48 and I'm 62) and 2) keeping my heart rate at 80% or greater of my max during my workouts, with the help of a properly calibrated heart rate monitor.
  • 1) by staying in great shape (my VO2 max is >48 and I'm 62) and 2) keeping my heart rate at 80% or greater of my max during my workouts, with the help of a properly calibrated heart rate monitor.

Great job! What heart rate monitor do you use?
    I have been using a polar watch with a chest strap and have found it works great!
  • dearb1
    dearb1 Posts: 17 Member
    Great work out! I burn about 400 in 60 mins but I'm unfit and overweight again!
  • fh1951
    Thank you. I have a Garmin FR70 which I've been using for the past year. Its sensor is also in the chest strap...
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    May I ask how you burn 500-1000 cals in an hour workout? I'd love to copy that programme! (I'm not being vicicious)

Zumba burns 500-1,000 cal's/hour! :))) That is if you're truly shakin' that booty!!! :wink: :happy:
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    This morning I decided to analyze my weight loss from last week. I wanted to see how close my actual result was to what my logging and MFP's algorithm indicate it should be.

Background information:

MFP Goal Inputs: CW 196.5, GW 174, 5' 10" male, age 62, sedentary daily activities, 5 x 60 minute workouts weekly, lose 1 pound weekly

MFP Daily Nutritional Goal (calories): 1620

All food and exercise logged. All food portions weighed with food scale. All MFP food database items confirmed for accuracy. All exercise performed using properly calibrated HRM.

Results from Week Ending 9/21 versus MFP results predicted:

Starting weight: 199 Ending weight: 196.5 Weight loss: 2.5 pounds

Total of daily calories remaining for week: S 711 S 785 M 338 T 794 W 405 T 719 F 639 Total = 4391. 4391 remaining calories divided by 3500 (3500 is the average required to lose - or gain - one pound) = 1.25 extra pounds loss predicted above MFP weekly goal of 1 pound per week.

Conclusion: My actual weight loss of 2.5 pounds is quite close to the expected outcome of 2.25 pounds from MFP's algorithm

Note: I am working to reach a new goal of <10% body fat. I reached my original weight goal in 2011 and have given some of it back. During the giveback my logging was sporadic.

Amazing attention to detail. I'll need this when my weight loss slows down.
  • May I ask how you burn 500-1000 cals in an hour workout? I'd love to copy that programme! (I'm not being vicicious)

Zumba burns 500-1,000 cal's/hour! :))) That is if you're truly shakin' that booty!!! :wink: :happy:

I must not be doing Zumba right because I never burn that many calories. Do you use a heart rate montor to get that calculation?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    1) by staying in great shape (my VO2 max is >48 and I'm 62) and 2) keeping my heart rate at 80% or greater of my max during my workouts, with the help of a properly calibrated heart rate monitor.

I'm glad you aren't eating back your HRM reported calorie burn totally - because that is correct actually.

HRM should be showing inflated calorie burn for strength training, which is anaerobic if done right.

But the HRM calorie formula's are based on aerobic exercise steady-state HR for 2-5 minutes, which strength training rarely is too. Properly calibrated doesn't matter in that case.

As you commented, VO2 is the important factor, and anaerobic is without oxygen. Your heart rate is going up for reasons outside the need for oxygen to burn fat, it's burning ATP / carbs without oxygen.

BTW, you'd probably find you could lift more if the body actually got a rest between sets. It takes a tad bit of time to recharge the ATP that is used for anaerobic efforts. And it can take longer to do that if the muscles are still being asked to burn energy.

Great attention to detail on the stats, that will always help. Well, for those of us that love stats anyway.