The Evils of Fizzy Drinks.

Options
Hi all. I was wondering what the negative effects of drinking considerable amounts any fat & caffeine free fizzy drinks ( such as pepsi max or coke zero etc) were on weight loss.

Just to clarify this isn't me attempting to be smart and say there aren't any, this is me geniunely being ignorant of how these items effect weight loss and hoping for a lil help! Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There really aren't any if it's diet...there are no calories. From a nutritional standpoint though, you're far better off drinking water and an occasional soda
  • Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Ah okay thanks. :smile:
  • addicted2cola
    addicted2cola Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but pop bloats me like you wouldn't believe. I stopped drinking it (which if you see my username, you can understand why that was hard for me), and my stomache went down and was not quite such a rock hard bubble protruding from my abdomen. That, and the sugary drinks really make it harder to fit nutritious meals into my calorie count (1 cup = 160 cals...) and also damage my teeth. I think theirs nothing wrong with having them once in a while though!
  • Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yeah hearing about the damage they can cause to teeth is what's helping me to alter the balance between them & water. I was just curious because I've seen a few threads with people stating how they're cutting out all forms of fizz totally and wondered if it had any adverse impact on weight loss; though I agree with you totally on the bloated feeling after drinking it.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I've had no issues with bloat or weight loss and I consume a lot of diet beverages and soda. However, everyone is a bit different.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    From my experience with a really heavy Diet Dr Pepper addiction.... from which I've been 'clean' for probably close to 6 months.... I found that I craved 'crap' foods much more, when I was on the DDP.... and giving it up, made it much easier to stop eating so many 'empty calories' / non-nutrient dense foods.

I Googled, and here's one quick reference to what I'm talking about. The article tends to mirror my experience. Others probably disagree. I was doing around 6 or so 12 oz cans a day.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/04/saccharin-aspartame-dangers.aspx
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yeah hearing about the damage they can cause to teeth is what's helping me to alter the balance between them & water. I was just curious because I've seen a few threads with people stating how they're cutting out all forms of fizz totally and wondered if it had any adverse impact on weight loss; though I agree with you totally on the bloated feeling after drinking it.

There are reports that it actually inhibits the body's ability to lose weight but I always have a glass of Pepsi max before my evening meal....it helps fill me up and satisfies my need for sweet stuff. I occasionally have two glasses full but never more and actually only started drinking it BECAUSE of my weight loss. Prior to that, I never drank fizzy drinks, diet or otherwise, so I don't have a problem with the potential addictive qualities.