Torn rectus muscle ... now what?

Options
Hi everyone *waves*

I'm hoping to get some useful tips with regards to rehabilitating a torn ab.

At the end of July I tore the lower right side of my rectus muscle. Jip, ouch. I was assured by the doctor, after a sonar, that it was indeed a torn muscle and not a hernia (or appendix, for that matter). I didn't have any visible bruising, but the area was swollen and farking tender for a few days. It hurt the most when I would lie flat on my back or stretch out with my arms overhead.

I was back at crossfit class two weeks after that. In retrospect that was probably a bit quick. I was itching to get my sweat on. I felt good and took it slowly. I didn't dare push harder than I was comfortable with and would sit out, or continue at my own pace, whenever we did ab work. And planks .. :noway:

The muscle has since healed enough for me to hold plank for thirty seconds (and some) before I feel it pulling in that specific area.

Problem is that I worry (ok, ok, I'm scared ****less) that I'll tear it again, so I sit out on doing V ups and bicycles or any other exercise that will work the lower abdominal area, as soon as I feel it stinging. I then carry on with crunches, if only for the sake of not cooling off.

Now for the wammy ... last night I turned around in my sleep and stretched the little bugger again! In my sleep, for heaven's sake :grumble: It's not nearly as painful as the first time, but it's annoying and I KNOW if I'm not careful with it it's going to tear.

I'm looking for exercises that will strengthen the muscle, or supporting muscles, or my core, without putting strain on it. Not asking much, now am I? I was thinking planks, but I tried this morning and no. It hurts getting into plank position and I could not even hold it for two seconds without my lower right side *****ing about it.

Ideas, please. :smile:

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    At first i thought you meant your Rectus Femoris muscle, in your leg.

I can't tell you which exercises will or won't cause pain - that's an individual thing that you'll need to discover through trial and error. Which it seems like you're doing.

Yes, you will always be at risk of reinjuring it, so don't go crazy with the ab exercises. I'd focus mostly on full-body exercises that work the core, but don't overwork it (squats, pushups, etc). They're more functional than most ab exercises anyway.

Personally i would work on regular, light static & dynamic stretching, to promote proper scar formation, and also promote circulation in the area (prevents night-time cramps). Here's a good stretch for the area:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHvq66OV2XY
    If it hurts, don't do it.
  • CrimsonFlare
    Options
    :blushing: Yeah, I should have added abdominis in the title.

The cobra pose made me think a bit and I believe that a spinal balance could also help strengthen my core and it's a bit more manageable than a plank.

Thanks for the info and the link to the video. I'll concentrate a bit more on warm up and stretching before actually starting my workout.

:flowerforyou: