Does the outside temperature make a difference?

Options
I've been wondering, as I'm sitting here in 35 degrees C, sweating away as I sit on the sofa, if the environmental temperature effects the number of calories we burn (it has to, surely!) and if so, by how much?

Are there any "precise" figures we can attribute, like "add 50 to normal cals burned if temp is over 30, add 75 if over 40, etc..." and the same for colder temperatures?

Replies

• leb89
    leb89 Posts: 54
    Options
    I've always wondered that for when i run in the hot weather rather then inside on the treadmill.

i found this article: http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/06/15/fit-or-fiction-does-exercising-in-hot-weather-burn-more-calorie/
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't think it does. Just because you're sweating more, but not working harder does not mean you're burning more calories. It means your body is regulating itself to cool down. If I burn 100 calories walking a mile, I'm not going to burn 150 calories walking that same mile in hot weather.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering, as I'm sitting here in 35 degrees C, sweating away as I sit on the sofa, if the environmental temperature effects the number of calories we burn (it has to, surely!) and if so, by how much?

Are there any "precise" figures we can attribute, like "add 50 to normal cals burned if temp is over 30, add 75 if over 40, etc..." and the same for colder temperatures?

I wouldn't even bother working that out. Just continue as you are doing and if it works out that more calories are indeed used in hot weather, so be it. Trying to work out to the dot the exact number of calories burned in all weathers and conditions would be a nightmare.

Personally, if more were indeed burned, I would just count it as a secret bonus.
  • loseitn0w
    Options
    I had similar questions as I started MFP. I made it up to two miles in running and as I'd lose weight I'd see that the more I lose the less calories I burning through exercise as recorded on MFP. But since I wear a heart rate monitor and I try to keep my pulse between 80% and 90% of my target heart rate(for me, I try to keep my heart rate around 150 beats per minute for 25 minutes). I do notice that when I run in the heat of the day my HR rises faster than when the temperature is cooler. So I do believe I am burning different amount of calories at different times due to differing circumstances.
    So I know I exert myself much more on the hot day than the cooler day. Because I am monitoring my heart rate. But I notice that when I enter my time and speed in MFP exercise diary I get the same, seemingly generic, response. Something like 410 carloies burned.
    I do think that the generic responses from MFP are not precisely accurate and there are better ways of estimating my calories burned, (such as HR plus time instead of distance plus time), but I still see value in MFP's system because of its ease of operation and tracking capitbilties. And I do hope it is under-estimating my calories burned through exercise because it keeps me motivated to strive for more.
  • Vanessa1977
    Options
    I've wondered that myself, especially with Maine's hot & humid days. If anything I am more dehydrated
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    Indeed, I know it's rather academic - and know full well that "sweating" isn't a form of exercise in its own right... if only it was - saunas would be inundated with people!

It just struck me that it's evident that a body burns more calories to sweat (and regulate its temperature) whilst doing an activity - whatever the activity - than if it didn't need to. Regardless of whether this calorie burn is of fat or whatever - sweating on a cellular level still requires energy to mobilise the triggers... or does it? Gnargh... no wonder there's no hard-and-fast answer. What an amazing thing our body is!