5 pounds of frozen tator tots

Options
were left on my counter last night all night. I thought my boyfriend put them in the freezer, he thought I did. In my defense he carried the bag in.

Can I refreeze them? They were out for over 12 hours, but they're not meat? =[

Replies

• victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Ooooh or I can just cook them all now? I really don't want to throw away so much food because I'm stupid haha.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Some day they will make frozen alligator meat and call them "gator tots." Sorry, I digressed. I'm not sure, but I think they should be ok since they are not meat or dairy.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    They will probably all fall apart if you try to cook them. If you try to refreeze them, it would probably freeze into big tater clumps.
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options
    Some day they will make frozen alligator meat and call them "gator tots." Sorry, I digressed. I'm not sure, but I think they should be ok since they are not meat or dairy.

hahaha nice. I'm baking some now to see if they're "off," but my bf says refreezing is bad. I've never bought a 5 pound bag before but it was a good deal :/ joke's on me I guess
  • Longmonthooper
    Longmonthooper Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How about you just toss them and not have to worry about logging tater tots?
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    as long as your house is not really hot (to the point you can't stand it) they should be fine. The texture may be off, but I wouldn't throw out the entire bag. Just me.
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options
    They will probably all fall apart if you try to cook them. If you try to refreeze them, it would probably freeze into big tater clumps.
    Yeah =[ guess I'm going back to the store. God I want some tator tots; they're my guilty pleasure lol
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    As a last resort, throw the tots into a big pot with some milk and butter and make a potato soup. If the consistency and seasonings work out okay to your liking, you can add veggies, meats (ham, lean sausage, bits of bacon, etc.) to chunk it up, but wait until you know you'll like it before adding more expensive items.

Good luck!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    You can spread them out on a cookie sheet and refreeze them. Put them back in the bag after they are frozen.

They most like have not 'gone bad' as far as being safe to eat, since they are already cooked and no meat or egg product in them.

You can also cook them in a skillet like hash browns, then add to egg burritos, or mix with diced ham and cheese and baked into a yummy casserole. I have made this for my family for years.

You can also simply bake them on a cookie sheet in the thawed state. Just handle them carefully so they don't fall apart.
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    As long as your house was cool, they'll be fine. If they are falling apart, make a tater tot casserole. I make mine with onion, mushroom soup, and cheese. Yum!!
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options
    How about you just toss them and not have to worry about logging tater tots?

They fit in my macros just fine as long as I have one serving at a time(9 tots).
    If they need to be tossed I'm buying more.

as long as your house is not really hot (to the point you can't stand it) they should be fine. The texture may be off, but I wouldn't throw out the entire bag. Just me.
    My house stays at 79 during the day and 76 at night. I like your answer so I'll try that, and if they're too weird after refreezing I'll buy more then.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Didn't know what these were, so googled it... They sound nice! Erm..don't have an answer to the qu. though!!! :smile: