Protein Powder

Options
So I am really trying to manage my protein intake the best I can. Over the last 7 days I have averaged 143grams which I realize is low. I love tuna, chicken, steak, nuts. I eat a decent amount of veggies. I have also been drinking http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/eas-100_percent_whey_protein.htm 2 scoops on off days, 4 scoops on sl5x5 days. I am almost out of this brand and wanted to get some input and opinions and if lucky some facts about protein powder. I know I could google search about it, but rather not sift through all the broscience to find facts.

I have spoken to friends about powders and have heard numerous different things. One fairly educated buddy explaind that he read that 90% of all whey protein in supplments is from land-o-lakes. Which he explains should mean that the brand you purchase should not matter. I am low on funds and can't spend a large amount on a product. Co-workers tell me that I should pay attention to a few things, how many grams of protein in one scoop, giving you a dollar amount per scoop. Also they have told me to pay attention to sodium and cholesterol. Another friend told me when it comes to protein powder it is like most things and you get what you pay for. I found this http://www.bodyfortress.com/chocolate-whey-protein-powder at hannafords for 21$ but someone told me it would give me major gas?? I just wanted to see if some experienced members could maybe give me what has worked for them.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress. I've never gotten gas because of it.

I looked for things like, low carb, 30g protein per scoop, low sodium, and cost. This pretty much fit the bill perfectly for me.
  • glamasjr
    glamasjr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Like someone told you, you get what you paid for. You should read the nutrition label and the carbs and fats should be very low compared to the protein. I like whey powder from Cytosport, I can purchase a bag with 72 servings for $50 from Costco. There's also EAS Myoplex protein shakes from Sam's, $30 can get you 12.

You can also look for Premier Protein bars and shakes at Sam's and Costco, low cost for high amount of protein and servings. But you need to rely on natural foods first, play around on MFP and often times you'll find yourself going over your protein goals without hitting the bars or shakes. All it takes is a little research...cheers
  • glamasjr
    glamasjr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    OH I meant to tell you, the EAS Myoplex shakes from Sam's have 42 grams of protein per shake.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I tried body fortress and had major nausea from it. I am actually scared to try more protein powders because of that. So far muscle milk has been working ok for me. Has 21 mg protein or more
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I use Dr. Mercola's unflavored protein powder and add organic cocao to flavor it (not to mention the antioxidants). Works for me.
  • Bama56
    Bama56 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    try to get a blend, of casein/whey as it will digest slower. i use trutein which is 40% whey / 40% casein / 20% egg protein, i have no problems with it and it tasts amazing. some of the bloating could be coming from your reaction to the sweeteners they use, pure unflavored isolates would be a good option if that is the case.
  • lftilbury
    lftilbury Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use the Vishake by Visalus. It has low sugar, quite a bit of protein, uses three different kinds of protein. Non-GMO
    Gluten-free and Kosher. it's under $2 a shake. you get 30 meals for $49
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Some people are particular about their protein brands as far as flavor goes, I've just never been a picky person. Been using Body Fortress since January and never noticed gas issues. I'm overall satisfied with it (plus it's easy on the wallet!). Best flavor is Chocolate Peanut Butter but the Cookies n Cream is wack.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    2 scoops on off days, 4 scoops on sl5x5 days.
    I think you have this backwards. More protein on off days, more carbs on workout days.
    And averaging 140+ grams protein isn't bad, not too low but yeah, averaging over 150+ might be better.
    Sorry, no help on protein powder recommendations though.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I thought I read somewhere that 0.8g of protein per lb of lean body mass was all that was required for muscle mass retention and that was for training athletes.

The 1g per 1lb LBM is just that it is easier to remember that 0.8.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress. I've never gotten gas because of it.

I looked for things like, low carb, 30g protein per scoop, low sodium, and cost. This pretty much fit the bill perfectly for me.

Same here
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I love Isopure Low Carb Vanilla. It blends well with everything. Bypass buying it at GNC - I get it at The Smoothie Factory for half the price.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use soy protein because animal based protein powders do not sit well with me regardless of the brand. I eat a lot of animal based protein anyway, so since it's not my primary source, I don't worry too much about it.

The main thing is to look at the calories and fillers. Since I only use one scoop per day, a higher calorie and carb count isn't a big deal for me, but using 2-4 scoops per day, you're going to want something that is low on those while high on protein. EAS makes some decent varieties that don't break the bank, but it really is a matter of getting what you pay for. The more protein and less filler, the higher the price tag.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress overstates their protein levels, other brands are suspect too:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/uva9t/big_reddit_protein_powder_measurement_results/

Some brands have high concentrations of heavy metals:
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/what-our-tests-found/index.htm

Best bet, studies or not, is to hit your macros as best you can from regular food.