oatmeal versus cheerios

Options

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Huffington Post, where all good scientists and doctors go for information. Who needs the American Journal of Medicine when you can get all this data right from the Huffington Post?

:yawn:
    isn't it your bedtime??

What a well thought out rebuttal. Gosh.

That's the mentality you get if you get all your info from the Huff.
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This is too much analyzation for breadfast toods. It's just cereal, both of them are. Neither fills me up with just one serving. The Cheerios are more calories because I add milk, but if you add milk to oatmeal, each serving has approiximately the same calories with the same amount of fulfillment. The only differnce for me is, I eat cereal in the spring and summer and oatmeal in the fall and winter. BTW, I get 10 meals from both a box of instant oatmeal packets and 1 box of cereal at about $3/box. both being on sale.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Cheerios taste better, ergo I'd buy cheerios. I don't do oatmeal often, but I do enjoy cream of wheat (And, as I don't have issues with sugar, I add sugar to both.). /shrug
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    There are 10.3 g of sucrose in the average apple, compared to 9 g of sucrose in a serving of cheerios. The serving of cheerios also has a lot more vitamins and minerals than the apple. I also don't know too many people who can feel full for 4-6 hours off of one piece of fruit.

The sucrose is the same chemical in both cases (a bond between glucose and fructose produced from photosynthesis in plants). The main difference is that it's a lot easier to harvest sucrose for mass production of table sugar from sugar cane than from apples, oranges, etc. It doesn't last long wrt to hunger because it's not digested in the stomach, but rather the small intestine.

But if eating fruit really makes you feel better about yourself than eating table sugar, then keep on trucking. Just don't go around spreading pseudoscience.

But, please keep in mind that people's bodies react differently when it comes to sugar. The nine grams of sugar in that cereal might be no big deal to some people, but others may have problems with added sugar and unnatural sugar. I personally feel hungry twenty minutes later after eating a bowl of cereal with processed sugar on it, whereas oats, cream of wheat, and other bran type cereals last all the way to my mid morning snack or lunch.

I have a sensitivity to processed sugars that I don't have to natural sugars, so I am very careful about sugar.

Seriously, neither of the foods are bad in and of themselves. It's all about what you find good for you, and for me boxes or cereal are not great.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    But oatmeal is nasty, which negates your entire argument.
  • lilacs211
    Options
    Steel cut oats. I'm diabetic so regular oatmeal raises my BS but the steel cut does not besides love the chewy texture.
  • romancefan1983
    romancefan1983 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer Cheerios. I've loved them for years, even loved them as a kid. Now I do like oatmeal too and have some occasionally when I'm bored with the usual.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    But, please keep in mind that people's bodies react differently when it comes to sugar. The nine grams of sugar in that cereal might be no big deal to some people, but others may have problems with added sugar and unnatural sugar. I personally feel hungry twenty minutes later after eating a bowl of cereal with processed sugar on it, whereas oats, cream of wheat, and other bran type cereals last all the way to my mid morning snack or lunch.

I have a sensitivity to processed sugars that I don't have to natural sugars, so I am very careful about sugar.
    All I'm saying is that it's the same chemical. Your body really doesn't know the difference once it's in you. The sucrose in cheerios is the same sucrose you eat in fruit, so someone with sensitivity to sugar should be careful with both sources.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I usually eat oatmeal every day (had it for lunch today with a packet of splenda and then cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin pie spices). I always make it with water and my entire lunch was 150 calories, and it keeps me full for about 3 hours. I don't care for the taste of cheerios, especially since I don't drink milks and eating it dry out of the box is not very appealing. Also, one serving of cheerios is not filling for me and I'd be back in the kitchen within an hour of eating it. Cost wise, calorie wise and taste wise I prefer oatmeal hands down :smile: But, my husband and kids hate the taste of oatmeal and they prefer honey nut cheerios with milk. To each their own!
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you want Cheerios, eat 'em!!!

I eat a cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch with unsweetened Almond Milk (vanilla flavored) every morning. I'm sure it costs WAY more than oatmeal, but frankly, I don't care.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat both, I like both, I buy both. Why do you have to get one or the other?
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I was in the grocery store this morning picking up my oatmeal. The had an 11 pound bag/5 kilo for $12.49 , right beside oatmeal were boxes of Cherrios on sale for $3.99 a box for 1.5pound or 685 kilos. Speaking in approx. terms it would have cost me roughly $12 for 4.5 pounds of Cherrios.

So when I cook up a cup of oats with water the volume of expands , I get about 3 cups of breakfast out that amount
    With the Cherrios a cup is a cup.

For cherrios to match the volume of cooked oatmeal I would need to buy about 3 times as much.

So for starters:
    To come close to the 11 pounds of oats I would have to buy 7 boxes of Cherrios.
    at $3.99 that works out to approx. $28.00
    But since cooking 11 pounds of oats with water expands the volume of cereal I am getting by about 3 times, I will have to buy more Cherrios to match the volume so now I am up to $84.00

So $84 Dollars of Cherrios to $12.49 of Rolled oats {15minute variety} saves me approx. $71.50

Now $71.50 can buy me fresh salmon, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, yogurt and milk , raw almonds, ground beef, etc.

Oatmeal definitely!!! I have been doing oatmeal every morning and then last week I decided to do cheerios and ended up starving all day long! Oatmeal keeps you full longer. I eat my cheerios as a snack now :wink:
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I like both, sometimes cheerios you can get on sale 3/5 or 5/10 or something like that and take up on the deals, and sometimes a quick bowl of cereal is faster if your on the move.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    No horse in this race, but do people really feel full for 4-6 hours off of a serving of Cheerios? (No milk or other fat source if comparing the apple with the Cheerios.)

I may be biased since any form of cereal seems to make my appetite go into overdrive.

I do. A bowl of peanut butter Cheerios keeps me from breakfast to lunch easily.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Neither a bowl of Cheerios nor oatmeal will keep me full until lunch, I need more protein at breakfast.

Both make tasty snacks though. Oatmeal is probably more economical as the OP states, although remember to factor in the cost of energy used to cook it.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Cheerios are cheerios.

Oatmeal is so diverse. I LOVE oatmeal, I get creative with it. It's sooo much better and a good source of fiber.
  • Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    We are likin oatmeal more and more , my buddy says this post made him wake up to how much junk food costs.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    No horse in this race, but do people really feel full for 4-6 hours off of a serving of Cheerios? (No milk or other fat source if comparing the apple with the Cheerios.)

I may be biased since any form of cereal seems to make my appetite go into overdrive.

You eat a single serving of peanut butter Cheerios dry with no milk or side and that keeps you full until lunch? Can I have your stomach?
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

You eat a single serving of peanut butter Cheerios dry with no milk or side and that keeps you full until lunch? Can I have your stomach?
    I put milk in them, but it's fat free and I don't drink it afterwards. I swallow, what, less than one tablespoon per morning? But yeah, it doesn't take much to fill me. I can actually feel satisfied on my 1380 calories a day. I don't get hungry enough to be as overweight as I was.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Neither a bowl of Cheerios nor oatmeal will keep me full until lunch, I need more protein at breakfast.

Both make tasty snacks though. Oatmeal is probably more economical as the OP states, although remember to factor in the cost of energy used to cook it.

That's why I always mix 1 scoop of protein powder in with my oatmeal. 20-25g of protein from the powder. I use a vanilla and it adds a great flavor too. And it does last me hours.