I don't get it

When I started my new lifestyle two weeks ago I weight 251lbs but now I'm at 253. I eat around 1370 calories a day. I've been walking the treadmill and biking and today did zumba. At work I've been doing heavy lefting. Some people have been telling me that I may be gaining muscle. But it's seems like I'd lose weight before gaining muscle. The weird thing is I feel thinner but the scale says otherwise.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    You can't gain muscle at a deficit, especially if you're pretty much starving yourself. Eat more.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    It's really difficult (pretty much impossible) to gain muscle while eating at a caloric deficit, especially so for women, so it's not that.

However, a 2 lb fluctuation isn't strange, you could have eaten something extra sodium the day before or have a hormonal issue.

Are you logging your exercise calories and eating them with your 1370 calorie goal? If not, please start it's very important to not create too high of a deficit.

That said, please be aware that MFP tends to over exaggerate Zumba burns, I'd eat between 50%-80% depending on how hard you feel you worked out.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Sodium plays a huge part in weight loss - eating out or eating prepared/commercial foods that are high in sodium will cause you to retain water which shows on the scale. You may show a loss in a few days if you reduce your sodium & eat some higher potassium foods like bananas, potatoes, etc. MFP is notorious for overestimating calories burned during exercise, so I try not to eat back more than half my exercise calories. Also be very accurate with measuring/weighing your foods - you could be underestimating. Best of luck to you!
  • It takes time to change your metabolism. Keep it up.
    Don't trust the scale there are many factors that go into weight fluctuation if you have to weigh yourself make sure it is on the same scale at the same time of day wearing the same amount of clothing but I suggest you take pictures of yourself.
    And you can definitely build muscle while eating at a deficit, I have no idea where that misconception comes from...
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    I agree with what everyone said and to add...take your measurements. I was doing the same thing...eating right but not seeing the results on the scale. I started taking my measurements and surprise surprise I was dropping major inches...eventually my weight started coming off too. Scales, water, lbs, weight fluctuate daily...measurements don't.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    I looked at your diary, you eat 1600-1700 and in the past 2 weeks have been eating foods high in sugar and sodium. 2 lbs gain may be temporary. Also i cant see you log your activities/exercise... you might need to recalculate your TDEE/calorie target per day.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    It takes time to change your metabolism. Keep it up.
    Don't trust the scale there are many factors that go into weight fluctuation if you have to weigh yourself make sure it is on the same scale at the same time of day wearing the same amount of clothing but I suggest you take pictures of yourself.
    And you can definitely build muscle while eating at a deficit, I have no idea where that misconception comes from...

Curious why you believe you can form muscle while in a catabolic state. Since it requires an anabolic state to build muscle.

There are some *very* specific and difficult ways to build some muscle while still cutting calories, but she isn't doing any of them.

Also, even if her main goal was to gain muscle mass and she was training/eating at surplus, there is no way she could possible ever gain 2lbs of muscle in 2 weeks.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    OP it seems like you are eating foods that aren't "fuel" but just comfort foods. Now, I'm guilty of this too...but try incorporating really nutritious stuff in everyday and lower down that sodium!

Also, If it makes you feel better I can fluctuate 5 lbs in one day depending on the time of day I weigh AND depending on the "time of the month". Remember you are the lightest weight the day after your period ends and the heaviest the day before/day it starts. (Actually, my brother has tracked his hormonal cycle too while he was body building and it seems like for him his testosterone levels correlates to weight too. So hormones can really make a difference!)

And it's also the hardest in the beginning. The dreaded "plateau" happens to pretty much everyone during their beginning of a lifestyle change. Your body is going to fluctuate a lot until it gets used to the exercise and food intake changes you are making! Water retention will be high! (And yes, it seems backwards but make sure you drink MORE than you used to it actually decreases water retention.)

Don't give up! You got this!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    It's frustrating I know. Stick with it and you'll go one way - down!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member

Physics says no. Matter can neither be created nor destroyed, so unless you are providing a source of matter to build muscle, meaning a caloric surplus, it is nearly impossible to gain muscle. You can, in certain very specific situations, effect a body recomposition wherein you burn fat and build muscle more or less simultaneously, but it is very slow and requires you to be very exact (as ladynocturne suggested). She is not in recomposition, so she did not gain muscle.

Likely, you are retaining water or biomass (ie, food in your stomach or bowels). Give it time.
  • melissaondesko
    melissaondesko Posts: 8 Member
    Ugg ugg ugg. You are not eating enough if you are doing that much exercise. I have watched a lot of people wreck their metabolism through calorie restriction. (I am a fitness director at a wellness center, dietitian by education). It takes a lot for a woman to gain muscle. I have only been able to put on about 2 pounds of muscle in a year of heavy lifting. However, you are becoming more metabolically active. Make sure you are feeding your body, the right stuff. Have some protein/carbs right after your workout, and look towards 1500 or more calories.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Use a measuring tape.
  • It takes time to change your metabolism. Keep it up.

Curious why you believe you can form muscle while in a catabolic state. Since it requires an anabolic state to build muscle.

There are some *very* specific and difficult ways to build some muscle while still cutting calories, but she isn't doing any of them.

Also, even if her main goal was to gain muscle mass and she was training/eating at surplus, there is no way she could possible ever gain 2lbs of muscle in 2 weeks.

Good nutrition, hard workouts and cardio. I can tell you it works from personal experience.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    I must be a special snow flake because I have built muscle of a deficit, a small amounts but its been built
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    I must be a special snow flake because I have built muscle of a deficit, a small amounts but its been built

you also look like a guy judging from your profile picture and I believe that the people where commenting on the fact that the OP is a woman and it is harder for women apparently ... just sayin'