New to running. Need some advice from runners.

Okay Runners. I have started jogging/running using the couch 2 5k app and the runkeeper app. I am not looking race and come into first place or anything but I would like to know that I am pushing myself enough without over doing it.

What is a good time for the mile, 2 mile and 3 mile? For a beginner and for a good runner

Is your time better on the treadmill or on the road? \
Just curious. My time was much worse on the treadmill. Not sure if it's because there is a clock staring at me or what. I know it's not my app because I mapped it out with the car and know exactly where the 3 mile mark is.

How often should you run?
I don't want to cause stress fractures or damage so i don't want to over do it but don't want to be too lazy either

As a beginner runner what types of stretches to you recommend?

I already have the good shoes to help minimize the shin splints. But some extra tips on stretches would be great

When should I try out my first 5k?

Any other advice would be great.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    If you have just started C25k, it is *way* to early to be thinking about 1,2,3 mile times. If at the end of the program you can do 5k in less than 40 minutes, you've done fantastic.

Running on a treadmill doesn't have the same biomechanics as running on the road - personally, I avoid treadmills for anything but lab testings (which is a rare occurrence).
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Livingdeadnurse Posts: 140 Member
    Ran 3 miles 35 mins on the treadmill
    Ran 3 miles 32 mins on the road

On week 7 of the couch to 5k. Only have one more week
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    That's awesome! You're already rocking it, and are more than ready to run a 5k race.

Personally, I run twice a week, but also cycle four times a week. Love the cardio, but my knees are no longer what they once were. :)
  • Livingdeadnurse
    I would love to bike...but i need to purchase one first..lol
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    I ran my first 5k in 30 min. I ran one this weekend in 27 min and I don't foresee getting any faster. I don't do it to win. I'd say average is about 10 min miles for women. Some are much faster, some much slower.
  • berrydana7
    berrydana7 Posts: 78 Member
    welcome to the running world! i personally love running as a form of cardio :)
    you must visit this! this website has great running workouts you can try out when you want to change your running workout a little bit :)
    http://greatist.com/fitness/18-running-workouts-try-something-new
  • Chenca
    Chenca Posts: 20 Member
    Sounds like you are doing amazing! I started at an 11.5 min mile, and am now a graduate of c25k at a 9.5-10 min mile for a 5k. You should be so proud of yourself! I LOVE running! It really does become an addiction :)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    I say you're doing great! I've been running for a few years now and actually just did my first half marathon yesterday and your pace is already better than mine! Just keep going!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Okay Runners. I have started jogging/running using the couch 2 5k app and the runkeeper app. I am not looking race and come into first place or anything but I would like to know that I am pushing myself enough without over doing it.

What is a good time for the mile, 2 mile and 3 mile? For a beginner and for a good runner
    A good time is relative to your abilities! However, my arbitrary standards are 10-12min mi for beginner and 6-7min mi for good.

Is your time better on the treadmill or on the road? \
    Just curious. My time was much worse on the treadmill. Not sure if it's because there is a clock staring at me or what. I know it's not my app because I mapped it out with the car and know exactly where the 3 mile mark is.
    Road will feel slower because you're body is propelling you - not a machine

How often should you run?
    I don't want to cause stress fractures or damage so i don't want to over do it but don't want to be too lazy either
    Find a plan that matches your goals (HalHigdon.com) and stick to it, and listen to your body.

As a beginner runner what types of stretches to you recommend?
    None. When I run, I just go. When I'm done, I will roll out my muscles and/or take an ice bath.

I already have the good shoes to help minimize the shin splints. But some extra tips on stretches would be great

When should I try out my first 5k?
    Right now! Nothings says you have to run the whole thing - just enjoy the experience. Run when you can, walk when you must.

Any other advice would be great.
    Keep on running![
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Thanks for all the advice. And yes running is addicting. Just wish it would stop raining here because I prefer running outside than on the the treadmill.