Junk food at the grocery store!!!

Options
Went to the grocery store today with my wife and kids and as I walked down the snack aisle I thought man I sure miss all of that fun junk food I used to eat! I used to eat as much as I want, whenever I wanted, never counted calories or measured out portion sizes, it was great! Of course that's how I gained weight over the years too.

So as I passed my old favorites I just thought to myself, well do you want to be fat or do you want to get in shape? So I didn't pick up anything, but the junk food sure is tempting.

How about you guys/gals? Any of you ever miss the junk food? I know I do at times but I sure don't miss the fat around my waist! Haha!

Replies

• Frittycat
    Frittycat Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that when I crave junk food, it is Cheetos and potato chips. I just don't go down that aisle if I can help it and I don't buy them, because I would eat the whole big bag.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Haha yep that's how I was too, I'd just plow through the whole bag in one sitting. I used to love chips and cheese dip too. I probably should just avoid that aisle like I do the beer aisle. Back in my 20's those were the two primary aisles for shopping, the beer aisle and junk food aisle haha!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I don't deny myself, but I don't indulge either. If I feel like junk type food, I will have a small piece of dark chocolate. Or I will only eat one cookie and give the rest to my coworkers. It takes a lot not to go overboard though.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yeah we still have a small amount of junk food in our house that I will snack on once and a while, but I limit it to very small portions, not like the old days where I'd kill off an entire bag while watching a movie. I
  • DrunkenFaeGirl
    Options
    I still buy it, I just stick to a single portion and don't eat it daily.
  • Karentrobe
    Karentrobe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me my house is full of it. I live with junk food junkies and it it so hard to keep my paws out of those bags they munch out of. I slip I slip a lot probably why its taking me for ever to loose. Its hard when your the only one trying to get healthy.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I still eat it... Eating some Pringles right now.
    I don't demonize food.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I dont walk down that aisle at all. So I don't miss it. But if I want to eat it I will. I still wont get fat from eating a whole block of chocolate.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My kids talked me into getting brownie mix last week. I made the batch and it was gone less than 48hrs later, half from me. So the next day I punished myself and ran for 2hrs24mins. But they were so good.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Junk food is fun. I normally have something post gym since I can simple carbs and not get punished for it =)
  • candirose69
    Options
    I also just got back from the shops
    I walked down the lolly isle and thought "I can't believe how much of that I used to eat". I can't even contemplate buying it now...dont really miss it either as most of it was junk. Now I'd much rather go to the city to a nice chocolate shop and get some good quality chocolate now and again rather then the cheap stuff everyday :)
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how junk food binges were common for me .... I sure know what it is like to have to deal with it. I finally had enough and as a result now I pass by the junk food aisle. But it is tough, as those ju jubes and chocolate sure taste pretty good.

I had a problem with Diet Pepsi and junk food until about a month ago .. when I bought a NutriBullet and started drinking smoothies instead. of eating junk food.

For me .. I really did eat the junk food when I was bored. It was a BIG coping mechanism in an attempt to deal with the boredom.
  • slimandfab13
    slimandfab13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Really tempting as i was used to eating a whole can of Pringles just by myself in one sitting. Or a big can of Pik-Nik. Or 1 pint of ice cream, or a big chocolate bar. But I'd like to think that those days are gone now. I will no longer succumb to binge eating, but rather I will eat only a small portion of junk every now and then. My rule now is I will only eat ice cream and chocolates if it's free or offered by a friend. And usually I can say no to those. But nope, I won't be spending my money on junk.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    No, because I still eat it when i want it.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    My kids talked me into getting brownie mix last week. I made the batch and it was gone less than 48hrs later, half from me. So the next day I punished myself and ran for 2hrs24mins. But they were so good.
    this is just sad.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If I really want it I have it. I just work it into my calorie and macro goal. I haven't had potato chips in ages because they're not worth the calories to me, but I have chocolate and ice cream quite frequently.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Junk food is why I LOVE calorie counting! Because it's so easy to do the trade-off math and put the brakes on a craving. I see that "Holy crap a mere xxx serving size is xxx calories??!" then I think of all the other food I could eat for that same amount of calories, and how much more filling and healthy it would be.
    I know it gets beaten to death but I like the analogy to a financial budget: by comparing what different foods "cost" in terms of calories, I can make those decisions on what to "spend" my allotted calories on, and most junk food offers a poor "return on investment".

Also my little inner monologue mantra in the grocery store is "if you don't buy it, you can't eat it".
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Yes of course the candy and chips are right by checkout! Always tempting! But I think of the food i can eat for the same amount of calories!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Good for you if that is your methods but I don't break foods into categories of good or bad... I learned early on that for me to make this journey sustainable I had to tackle the mental side of this journey and learn portion control and still enjoy all the foods I like but in moderation... So I eat whatever I want just in smaller quantities that fit within the perimeters of my caloric intake and macro's.... Best of Luck.........
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Well that's a healthy attitude :noway:

I don't class any food as "junk" food. I just try to fit what I want into my daily calories and macros. Being able to have a small amount of what I want stops me eating all the packet.