Time to "change up" my running...What to do?

Options
I've got my 1st 5K coming up in a few weeks (Oct 12th), and I have NO delusions of grandeur. I have no plans to win, place or beat records. My goal is to enter, show up, do it, and cross the finish line. If I'm the last one to do it, I don't care. I'm challenging me and me alone.

Now I'm ready to up my training. Today for example, I ran 32.02 minutes for 2.13 miles with a 15.03 pace time doing a 3 minute run, 1 minute walk. Time to shake that up. I've been going back and forth between tacking on another mile & doing the 3 minute run, 1 min walk for 3 miles, or bumping up to a 4 minute run, 1 minute walk?

Like I said, the 5K was my 1st short term goal for myself...and, to be honest, I'm kind of shocked at myself, as every other time I've been on any kind of weigh loss/get fit plan before & set goals, they were way "waftier" than doing a 5K (more along the lines of "I will buy myself a new pair of jeans when I lose XX pounds") and I fell of the plan looong before now! This is the longest I've stuck with anything physical!

So...Suggestions? Tips? Thanx!

Replies

• rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you feel you can go 4 mins running and walk for 1 then try it. Congrats on your accomplishment this far and signing up for the race! Take a look at the c5k plan and see where you fit in and take off from there.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    For "changing it up" I suggest downloading the Zombies, Run! app and having fun. (It's not free but it's inexpensive and well worth it. Not to mention a lot of fun!) Make sure to enable zombie chases. You'll up your speed. ^.~

Edit because I suck at spelling tonight.
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use a c25k app on my phone and love it. Im doing it just because I want to run 3 miles non stop, Im going to work on speed later, but for now just distance
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I 2nd the C25k program. You don't need to start at the beginning since you have been running. I picked it up and did week 4-6 in late June/July and was running a 5k distance by mid July. I did my first official 5k August 10th and have done several since then.