Would this be considered an active job?

Options
Hey everyone. I work at a vet office as a groomer, kennel attendant, and vet assistant. I work full time and every day that I work I spend about 3 hours walking dogs (I walk them from their kennel run to outside, down a small path on a hill, across the length of the parking lot and back). I also do a lot of pulling/heavy lifting with restraining big dogs. I also spend a good bit of the day doing heavy scrubbing/cleaning, and get on my hands and knees a good bit, and I'm usually constantly on my feet.

How active would my job be considered? And how many calories should I be eating to lose weight?

I got this job in hope that it would help me get healthier and slimmer. I am currently 325 lbs and am eating around 1800-1900 calories a day (just total calories consumed, I set my lifestyle as sedentary and I have not been adding any exercise). I don't usually exercise on days off since I'm so worn out. I've lost about 15 lbs in the last month since I've started this job.

Thanks for reading/answering

Replies

• bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    That't a little under 2kg a week. That's heaps. :) I wouldn't sneeze at losing 2kg a week.

To me that says you're eating at the bottom of your calorie range.

I don't think it matters if you put sedentary in or not although I'd put it in as lightly active, I think what matters is, are you hungry? Are you happy and comfortable doing this or is it proving hard?

You could put your cals up 500cals a day, or even 1000 cals a day and still lose weight, looks like. A 4lb deficit a week would be a food deficit of 2000 cals a day.

If you're happy carry on, if you're starting to feel deprived up it a couple of hundred calories a day and see how you feel. You obviously have a lot of wiggle room!

Great result with the weight loss! :)