Quick, healthy vegetarian snack ideas?

Options
Hi,
I have a 5 week old baby (and two older children) and very little time between feeding, cuddling and tending to my older children to prepare food. Usually I only have one hand free as the other will be holding a baby or toddler at the very least!

I've found myself reaching for cake, biscuits or chocolate etc for a snack particularly as I'm very tired and craving the quick fix sugar. I don't naturally have much desire for fruit but I try to eat it occasionally to reinforce the example to my children, they have fruit as a snack regularly, I just skip it most days. Though I can see this would be ideal really.

I'd very much appreciate any other snack ideas which involve little preparation please. (I could make/prepare something for the next day the evening before if it's quick-ish)

Replies

• albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    -muffin tin omelettes - make a big batch + keep in fridge or freezer. just saute veggies (or defrost frozen), mix with egg whites (I keep 1-2 yolks in there, keeps them more moist), add cheese if you want. pour into muffin liners in a muffin pan; bake until set (google recipes if you want more specific instructions- I just wing it). plug your ingredient measurements into the MFP recipe calculator to find out the stats per serving.

-greek yogurt - pre-flavored is fine, but buying plain and adding your own berries or low-sugar jam is even better! you can even make or buy greek yogurt veggie dip for carrot sticks, etc. just mix a little ranch dressing powder into plain greek yogurt!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    try to go for the healthy proteins in stead of the sugar when you are feeling that slump:

*when you have a chance - make up a large batch of cooked beans (like chickpeas) - i make mine in the crockpot overnight. then portion and freeze. so now, you have cooked beans - you can heat up and eat, or make into hummus, etc

*peanut butter on whole grain crackers, whole grain rice cakes, bread, celery, apple...

*I don't know if you eat dairy/eggs but if you do - cheese, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, etc.
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    XxAngry_Pixi Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    homemade hummus and veggie sticks? that is a dish in my fridge that is a free for all, the kids can snack on it and I can grab it in a hurry to much on while I am getting the kids food.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have a 5 week old baby (and two older children) and very little time between feeding, cuddling and tending to my older children to prepare food. Usually I only have one hand free as the other will be holding a baby or toddler at the very least!

I've found myself reaching for cake, biscuits or chocolate etc for a snack particularly as I'm very tired and craving the quick fix sugar. I don't naturally have much desire for fruit but I try to eat it occasionally to reinforce the example to my children, they have fruit as a snack regularly, I just skip it most days. Though I can see this would be ideal really.

I'd very much appreciate any other snack ideas which involve little preparation please. (I could make/prepare something for the next day the evening before if it's quick-ish)

Nuts, dried and fresh fruit.
    Some nuts, inc almonds and walnuts,are rich in a compound that triggers feelings of satiety. The high fibre in some dried fruits, inc. dates and figs, when processed in the gut produces proprionate which when re-absorbed down regulates the sensation of hunger.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I second the muffins-I make a huge batch once a month and then throw them in the freezer. In the morning I pull some out and throw them in the fridge and my kids know they're in there for snacks. I also always have bananas on the counter and baby carrots in the fridge that they're allowed to grab whenever.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    My favourite snack of all time..so simple.

DARK chick peas ( but I suppose you could use regular ones)

Some chopped coriander/cilantro

Lemon Juice

As much chilli powder as you like..

and off you go...it's filling, high in protein and so easy and quick to make.
  • robsmithey
    Options
    Kale Chips: Bake @ 350 for 10 15 min.
    Remove stems from kale
    Spray cookie sheet
    spread kale drizzled w olive oil (light tasting) or whatever oil you have
    While cooling add some course salt (sea salt)
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thank you, some really good ideas here. I will give as many as possible a go. Today I manage to avoid the temptations of hight fat/sugar snacks but found I just haven't eaten enough instead. I'm going to make a real effort tomorrow to find enough time for meals.
  • maundrelle
    maundrelle Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    my ALL TIME favourite...

Raw cucumber with mustard. Try it, you will get hooked! :)
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Apples and peanut butter. You can even buy the pre-sliced apples and the individual peanut butter containers.

100 calorie packs of nuts (the natural ones)

Quest bars

Baby Carrots and Hummus

String cheese
  • JenniTheVeggie
    Options
    my ALL TIME favourite...

Raw cucumber with mustard. Try it, you will get hooked! :)

Interesting! Love both but never tried together!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    Options
    My favourite snack of all time..so simple.

DARK chick peas ( but I suppose you could use regular ones)

Some chopped coriander/cilantro

Lemon Juice

As much chilli powder as you like..

and off you go...it's filling, high in protein and so easy and quick to make.

Going to try this. I like roasted chick peas with some cumin too.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Individual apple sauces, string cheese (do you eat cheese?), almonds, peanutbutter on a spoon, yogurt. :smile:

I remember those busy days with a newborn, 2 year old, 4 year old and 6 year old. Best wishes :flowerforyou:

Keep your Walnuts in the fridge, they stay fresher.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of nuts and fruits.
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    yogurt
    apples and peanut butter
    hummus and vegetables/pita chips
    guacamole and chips...or guac by itself
    popcorn
    fruit
    kale chips
    frozen vegetable steamers
    raw vegan coconut truffles (whole foods)
    raw vegan ginger snap cookies (whole foods)
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I love some of these suggestions. Looking forward to shopping now!