5'8" Woman and Curious About Other 5'8" Women

Options

Replies

• I'm 5'8 and for now, my goal is 160, which means I have about 93 pounds to go.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Wow, you all talk about losing minimal amount of weight (to me, anyways)...

I'm 5'7 3/4 and my start weight was a whopping 336!! Current weight is 273.

The plan is to be under 200lbs as of January 1, 2014. My first "goal weight" is actually 180lbs as I have NEVER been under 200lbs my entire adult life. I think I will be happy here, but according to my healthy normal weight I had premeditated 145lbs where I wanted to maintain. However, a hard 160lbs with a ton of muscle is looking amazing to me now-a-days.

I'm sure my "ideal weight" will change once I get down to where some of you already are!
    Cheers and good luck to all :)

I've noticed that the higher someone's starting weight is, the higher their goal weight tends to be. That seems reasonable to me... it makes the process feel more manageable - and, for example, if someone starts out at 400 lbs, even 200 seems like a dream to them. But people's goal weights do usually change as they get closer to their healthy weight.

Yeah I definitely think this is the case, too.

When I started using MFP back in March, I weighed 262 and made my first goal 220. I'd never been lower than 227 as an adult so I thought that was pretty ambitious.

This morning I weighed 220.8 according to my scale (I don't consider it "official" until I maintain a loss over several days)...but anyway, my new goal as of right now is 200.

I anticipate a 180 goal in the future but at this point, coming from 300+ I can barely even imagine weighing 180, much less 160 or something lower.

Part of me thinks I'll be satisfied just under 200, in that 180-199 range...but I would not be at all surprised if I got there and still had a lower goal. In some ways this whole weight loss thing is 'addictive', it makes you feel successful to lose 5, 15, 39 lb and more. OBVIOUSLY don't wanna take that to an unhealthy extreme but yeah...I get it.
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    5'8"
    SW 217
    CW 198
    GW 165

Congratulations to you all for amazing weight loss! Your stories are encouraging!

We carry on! :flowerforyou:
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and weigh about 157/158 lb. I would be happy to get down to 140lb. If I can get into the 130s I would be even happier but I am going with 140 right now. Less than 20lb to go.
  • HillaryAnnMaroney
    Options
    You guys are all amazing! I love reading everyone's post about where they are and where they want to be. We are all tall women, but we all have lovely body types! As long as we look and feel healthy, that is all that matters! :D
  • amyaddison79
    amyaddison79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and I'm currently re-starting my weight loss journey at 214. In 2009 I got down to 160 and I felt good there. I was also told a lot that I looked skinny at that weight. I still wore a size 10 pants because I carry most of my weight in my hips, but could often wear a size small in tops depending on how they fit in the chest area. I would love to get to somewhere around that weight again.
  • seed_of_wonder
    seed_of_wonder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    my goal is 120, almost there!
    I'm tall but have a petite build so thats why so low
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options

I've noticed that the higher someone's starting weight is, the higher their goal weight tends to be. That seems reasonable to me... it makes the process feel more manageable - and, for example, if someone starts out at 400 lbs, even 200 seems like a dream to them. But people's goal weights do usually change as they get closer to their healthy weight.

I started at 285 and reached what I believed to be a healthy weight at 195 a year and a half later. I was able to maintain it for almost 2 years, but have fallen off the wagon a little over the past year. So I shooting for 195 again.

Just as an FYI - - for a woman who is 5'8", BMI says top of the healthy range is 164. I don't believe that is a healthy weight for me personally, although I struggled for months to drop lower than 185. I couldn't maintain it, so I had to recognize that it wasn't meant to be. I read through some of the posts, and hats off to any woman who can maintain 30 lbs lower than the highest point recommended as healthy BMI. (Not that BMI is the end all and be all, by any means).
    Sustainability is definitely the most important thing. If you are sure you can't maintain a weight under 180-190, then you should just aim to keep it at that weight. The risks associated with that BMI are not *that* massively significant anyway. My advice is to speak to a very good doctor and have both of you decide on what a good sustainable weight for you is - what the best balance of lifestyle comfort and optimal health for your frame would be.

Edit: I'm not sure that I agree that it's even possible that a weight of 164 is "unhealthily thin" for any woman of 5'8" unless she has bones like a double-wide trailer, but your use of the term "unhealthy" and my use of it may be different, so we may be talking about completely different things. Either way, a good doctor is much better qualified to speak on this than I am.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My present goal is in the 160s or high 150s....We'll see as more comes off if that goal changes
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and weight 155 pounds....currently in a size 6.

I'm very comfortable with this weight but could still lose a few in my stomach area. I'm going to focus more on toning my body.
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is 180lbs. I'm currently at 246lbs and was at 325lbs this January.
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My goal is 150 but havent been that thin since high school. May have to adjust it, especially if I put some muscle on from weight training;
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Im 5'9 and weigh 150-155lbs. I hate the scale! I felt my best when i weighed 139lbs - people thought i was too skinny though. I didn't, I loved it. Felt sexy as hell! Anyways, Im trying something different to lose the weight this time (had a kid 22 months ago) Im trying out the heavy lifting thing to try and change my body instead of drop weight and lose LBM. I've been at StrongLifts consistanly for almost a month now - not sure if its working yet but im trying to be patient and see. Im gonna take a good look at myself once i got a full 12 weeks in on the stronglifts program.
  • themumbler86
    Options
    I'm 26, 5'7 and a bit, and currently around 148 lbs.

I'm looking to lose between 10 & 14 lbs (though going by the mirror a lot as I only weigh myself 3 or 4 times a year when I visit my parents). I went down to 136 lbs or so when I was 20 but looked quite ill & gaunt as I did it in a very unhealthy way, so I'm hoping doing it healthily and steadily with plenty of exercise will mean that doesn't happen this time. If so then I'll have to gain a little back & see where I sit happily. :)
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i am 33 , 5ft7 and 140ibs, i was 160ibs when i joined
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" as well and my goal is also 155.
  • F1GHT4F1T
    F1GHT4F1T Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 & currently around 159lbs but I started out at about 182. Ideally I'd like to weight between 145-135 lbs but I'll stop losing weight when I like the way I look.
  • mshellebean27
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and about 105 pounds and 40 years old. At my highest weight after baby number 4 I was almost 190. I am using MFP to help gain some weight and more muscle. Great for tracking macros! 5 kids total.
  • LipstickOn
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and I weigh 156lbs right now. My goal weight is between 125-130. I barely have muscle (I lost a lot by doing stupid low intensity cardio) so I look bigger than what I weight (well at least to me I do).
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    It's okay to be curious :wink: