Feeling overwhelmed by articles on health

Options
calliekitten9
calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
It's so very confusing....one minute eggs are bad, the next they are good...red meat is ok...as long as you limit your intake..carbs are good one minute...not so good the next.

This week it's an article on foods that fight cellulite.

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/10-foods-fight-cellulite-155400053.html

I feel bombarded at times with information that sometimes seems contradictory when all I want to do is be healthy.

Does anyone else have this experience of information overload?

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I choose not to read articles that tell you the "good foods" and the "bad foods"

All food is good in moderation. There are fear mongering articles, there are just bullsh*t articles (see Dr. Oz), and then there are articles with actual facts, studies, etc. It's up to you which of those you give merit to.
  • Fkika3131
    Fkika3131 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay away from so many Articles. Because one day is this and another day is that. I am eating alot of healthier and when I can't because I am at work I just eat in very small moderation's.. But, I also do listen alot to Dr. Oz show when I am not at work :)
  • Fkika3131
    Fkika3131 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I choose not to read articles that tell you the "good foods" and the "bad foods"

All food is good in moderation. There are fear mongering articles, there are just bullsh*t articles (see Dr. Oz), and then there are articles with actual facts, studies, etc. It's up to you which of those you give merit to.

Congrats on your awesome weight loss
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If you read round the threads here you will find there are some posters who really like all the information. They like to know what is out there, they seem to like lots of rules, caveats and structure to their diet / workout, etc.

Those articles are for those people.

Others prefer to stick to more simple rules of weight loss and fitness. Those articles can be very dispiriting for those people.

You just need to work out what level of science, 'bro' or otherwise, you like and work out what is effective for you!

Good luck.
  • japarenti
    japarenti Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I think most of the articles out there are geared to get you to buy more. A good rule that I follow is to stick with as much natural food as possible. Sticking to the outer perimeter of the grocery store keeps you away from all the processed stuff. Veggies, dairy, lean meats.
    My biggest problem is portion size. Hard to stop!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    I hear you and totally agree. Even on here..you'll read through the forums and see all sorts of conflicting advice. But as you read you'll see some overall truths come out. There are many different ways to lose weight and each is really just a different method to eat at a calorie deficit to lose..

Myself, I'm tired of fad diets that exclude food groups.; so i set my calories as high as possible to still lose...so I can have a life when I get to goal. I mean so i can really eat.! So I eat a variety of things, I exercise so I can eat more, and I don't listen to any of the "deprivation" adivce; like give up carbs, no sugar, no milk..blah blah.

I'm enjoying myself and losing. However. I also use common sense and as i lose and exercise I naturally gravitate to more healthy choices, raw foods, vegetables... Common sense stuff.. not studies and fad diets that are out there to generate income.
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My number one rule to myself is to make healthier changes that will be sustainable for me. At the root of it all, I think the main healthy things to focus on are eat a percentage less than maintenance, track everything in MFP, modify portion size, move around more, add in more fruits/veggies, and persevere rather than quitting. Then from there, you can pick and choose what you want from articles and advise. Do what works for you as long as it falls into the general main idea.
  • tilmoph
    tilmoph Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you listen to every article, blog, and post on weight-loss/fat-loss/ fitness on the internet, you will rapidly be forced to conclude that no human being on this planet has ever or ever will be able to eat properly, and they are all going to die of cancer/heart failure/vitamin and mineral deficiencies, whilst being skinny fat or just plain old fat fat, since every diet/lifestyle is totally wrong about everything.

In other words, read them for entertainment. Pick up a fact or two, keep an opinion or two if they strike your fancy, but don't put much emphasis on them, you'll just go crazy.
This discussion has been closed.