MFP overestimating calories burned?

Options
Hi,

I've just put in a quick 10 min session on the elliptical and it's told me on here that it burned 120kcals, where as on my machine it says 30kcals.

I'm very much inclined to believe the machine's 30kcals as it was only 10 mins. I find it very hard to believe that it would be as much as 120. I was working relatively hard, enough for me to sweat.

Does anyone else think that its way over estimated?

Replies

• 27toheaven
    Options
    Were at at resistance level 1 going really slow? If so than the machines 30kcals mite be right.

But going at a moderate resistance for 10 mins should burn at least 70 kcals if your small and closer to 120 if your overweight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    data base calorie burns are notoriously inaccurate. there are like a million different variables that aren't really considered when you're using some arbitrary burn from a database. I would also imagine you put "vigorous effort"...because you were really working hard right? No doubt you were working hard, but not that hard...most people substantially overestimate their level of effort. The machine is a better estimate...a HRM is even better...still, it's all estimation; even with a HRM you'll want to at least knock off your BMR calories.
  • Katkamm77
    Katkamm77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me 785 calories burned while my HRM told me 649. I believe my heart rate monitor.
  • shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    MFP exercise db is only a estimate, it does not work for all people because calorie burn differs based on gender, size and general heart rate of the person performing the exercise. But going back to your question 30 cals for 10 minutes of work is low. If you were working I agree with 27 to heaven that you atleast burned 70 kcals because the elliptical burn is more than most cardio machines.
  • fitfantasytumblr
    Options
    data base calorie burns are notoriously inaccurate. there are like a million different variables that aren't really considered when you're using some arbitrary burn from a database. I would also imagine you put "vigorous effort"...because you were really working hard right? No doubt you were working hard, but not that hard...most people substantially overestimate their level of effort. The machine is a better estimate...a HRM is even better...still, it's all estimation; even with a HRM you'll want to at least knock off your BMR calories.
    No I put down moderate as it wasn't an all out effort. I'll try it again with my HRM and see what comes out, I just thought it was strange that the machine and MFP were giving wildly different readings.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The elliptical seems to be the one exercise I put into Mfp that's way out, treadmill ans Mfp are usually about the same but if I'm really hammering the elliptical I'm lucky to burn 10cals a min at resistance 7 I'd imagine the cals are prob somewhere I between your two readings.