I need help, badly.

Options
So, I had lost 40 pounds. I had gone from 160 to 120, and then I lost 2 more pounds and went down to 118. Well, for the last two months, I had stayed between my range of 118 to 122. I have been eating 1 gram of protein per body weight a day (or at least trying to) which for me was 120g of protein daily. My goal is to build muscle. But today, I hit an all time low of 117.6 pounds. I don't know what I am doing wrong because I eat protein and workout everyday to try to tighten the loose skin on my stomach and build up my arms. I don't want to lose anymore pounds. Any advice?

Replies

• ehorn625
    Options
    I am no expert but maybe you have to eat more and work out more or differently. You need to eat to sustain your weight and work out to tone those muscle areas.
  • adriennepaolini
    Options
    I am not an expert either but from what I have read if you are trying to maintain your weight then you would also have to "eat back" the calories burnt during work out so you are even and not at a deficit. Your work out might need a revamp as well. if you can talk to an expert and get their advice I would suggest it :). Good luck in your endeavor and kudos on your goal!
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Did you increase the calories you were consuming once you reached your goal weight? Also, your new low weight could be your "normal" weight with a little bit of dehydration. I wouldn't get hung up on a single weigh in.
  • Nicktheicequeen
    Options
    Did you increase the calories you were consuming once you reached your goal weight? Also, your new low weight could be your "normal" weight with a little bit of dehydration. I wouldn't get hung up on a single weigh in.

I have increased my calories, but at the same time, I do not count anymore. I just eat. I look at protein rather than calories. For example Yesterday

Breakfast:

Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt- 12g
    Smart Ones Apples and Cinnamon Oatmeal 5g
    Coffee (Don't judge me, LOL)

Work-out

Post Workout shake- Pure Protein Vanilla shake- 23g
    Post workout snack- 2 servings of wasabi peas- 8g

Lunch: Boneless, skinless Chicken breast- 21g

Pre dinner snack- Frozen Greek Yogurt- 6g (I think. 4 or 6)

Dinner- Apple Pecan Grilled chicken salad from Steak and Shake- 21g

Pre Bedtime Snack- Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt- 12g
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options

I have increased my calories, but at the same time, I do not count anymore. I just eat. I look at protein rather than calories. For example Yesterday

Breakfast:

Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt- 12g (80 calories)
    Smart Ones Apples and Cinnamon Oatmeal 5g (180)
    Coffee (Don't judge me, LOL)

Work-out

Post Workout shake- Pure Protein Vanilla shake- 23g (150)
    Post workout snack- 2 servings of wasabi peas- 8g (320)

Lunch: Boneless, skinless Chicken breast- 21g (150)

Pre dinner snack- Frozen Greek Yogurt- 6g (I think. 4 or 6) (200)

Dinner- Apple Pecan Grilled chicken salad from Steak and Shake- 21g (330)

Pre Bedtime Snack- Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt- 12g (80)

Okay, this is just an estimate from my quick research. You're eating about 1500 calories which is still well within weight-loss territory. You should be eating regular greek yogurt--low fat or even full fat, something added to your boneless skinless chicken breast for lunch (that's not exactly a meal), and some healthy fat somewhere in there.
  • Thedij
    Thedij Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I recommend you resume tracking your calories and exercise (in MFP, of course!). I'm often surprised to find I have calories left in the day when I see my food diary showing less calories consumed than I thought. Note: this is happening to me, too, so tracking is really important to ensure you're eating enough.
  • Nicktheicequeen
    Options
    Well, I ate the peas while the chicken was cooking on the foreman grill, so I kind of combine the 2 in my head. I just ate the chicken about 10 minutes after I ate the peas.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Switch your calorie settings to maintenance or possibly a slight gain if you haven't already. If you have, start entering in your exercise calories and eat them all. And if you've done that too, you're one of the reasons they put a disclaimer on the calculator's results and need to bump up your calories beyond what it's telling you to eat.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    you need carbs. especially post workout. workout days do carbs 1.5 - 2 x bodyweight

make sure you get fats in also (good fats) around .3 - .4 x bodyweight

what are your other r stats?
  • mrsgrimsdale
    Options
    I am really new to this and way off maintainence so definitely no expert but having read loads on here I would think that the list of food you had seemed to be a bit short on calories to be maintaining. I would have thought you would need a little more carbs in your diet just to top you up (your body has trouble accessing energy stores without carbs). Others have given good advice
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If you are not measuring, how do you have any idea whether you are eating in deficit, at maintenance or in surplus. Just making sure you are getting enough protein does not help if your goal is to gain muscle. Total intake is just as important. You are still losing because you are still in a deficit. You will lose some muscle if you remain in deficit no matter what your protein consumption is.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    So, I had lost 40 pounds. I had gone from 160 to 120, and then I lost 2 more pounds and went down to 118. Well, for the last two months, I had stayed between my range of 118 to 122. I have been eating 1 gram of protein per body weight a day (or at least trying to) which for me was 120g of protein daily. My goal is to build muscle. But today, I hit an all time low of 117.6 pounds. I don't know what I am doing wrong because I eat protein and workout everyday to try to tighten the loose skin on my stomach and build up my arms. I don't want to lose anymore pounds. Any advice?
    You are male and weight 120? How tall are you?
  • Nicktheicequeen
    Options
    5'3
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    If you are not measuring, how do you have any idea whether you are eating in deficit, at maintenance or in surplus. Just making sure you are getting enough protein does not help if your goal is to gain muscle. Total intake is just as important. You are still losing because you are still in a deficit. You will lose some muscle if you remain in deficit no matter what your protein consumption is.

This. If you want to add muscle, you have to eat a calorie SURPLUS and need more than 120g of protein a day. You also have yo work HARD in the weight room. What kind of training program are you following? How can you possibly know if you're doing this without tracking? Just based on the food you listed, I would bet money you're still eating at a deficit. I would recommend going back to tracking and starting a regimented lifting program, which should include guidelines to building muscle. There are some great groups here on MFP dedicated to just that.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    You should be hitting around 2300 cal a day to put on some weight.
    Your TDEE is around 2000 - 2200 depending on level of exercise.

Protein should be around 180 gr / day
    Carbs around 250 - 270 gr / day
    Fat around 48 -60 gr / day
    And then of course fiber, 24 - 30 gr / day
  • Nicktheicequeen
    Options
    I have a shakeweight for men I use 30 minutes a day
    I also have an ab roller evolution
    A Tower 200
    And a stationary bike.

My normal workout routine on the ab roller

100 crunches
    100 push-ups
    100 Oblique crunch things on each side
    100 Vstretches.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    If you can get in the gym and push some iron, I would do that.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    To be honest, I would ditch the shake weight.....that is a gimmick.

Look to do body weight exercises
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight you are most likely eating at a deficit. Since you aren't tracking, you wouldn't know. I suggest tracking calories to make sure.
  • LizSpartz
    Options
    if your goal is to build muscle you are doing well eating protein, you will also probably need to eat a bit more so your body has the fuel to build the muscle with. However the main thing you will have to do is lift heavy weights. Doing cardio, crunches and lifting pink weights will not help build muscle. After your heavy lifting make sure you get enough rest.