That time of the month weight gain.. LADIES HELP!!!

Options
Hi ladies,

I know many of you experience weight gain around that time of the month.. But is there any way to avoid it??

I am 7 days away to my periods.. and I noticed I have gained 1 kg (2.2lbs) though people have noticed I have lost weight in the last 10 days and lost inches as well..

We have a fitness championship going on at work.. people who becomes most healthy during this time period will be awarded.. it kind of coincided with the time I started my weightloss journey.. and the final weigh in is day after tomorrow!!!

I really dont wanna weight more than I should right now!!! Any advices?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Just ride it out. Nothing much you can do about it. It'll go away. If you're that concerned about the number on the scale, just don't weigh yourself before/during TOM.
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Just ride it out. Nothing much you can do about it. It'll go away. If you're that concerned about the number on the scale, just don't weigh yourself before/during TOM.

Competitive that I am.. cant bear the thought I am going to lose the challenge just because of my periods :( guess I have to bear with it..
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Water pills? I don't know. I've never been in the situation that I couldn't just ride it out. I hope you figure something out.
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's just going to happen. Drink water and keep on keepin' on. I'm wondering though about this contest. Is it healthiest or most weight lost? Healthy to me would suggest body fat percentage rather than weight. Water weight isn't going to affect that.
  • Symphony2010
    Symphony2010 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's all about the salt! I haven't gained any water weight during my period since I started consuming only 1500 mg of sodium a day. For every 400mg of sodium u go over it equals 2lbs of water weight!
    I switched everything to low sodium foods. And stay away from carls jr....every item is loaded with like over 1000 mg in just a burger. I never looked at anything on a label bfr except calories. But Americans r taking in sooo much sodium it's crazy. U should stick to no more than 500mg in a meal. It's not easy.
    Canned soups also have lots of sodium and any kind of tomatoe sauce. I love pickles and can still have them thank goodness. I would eat 5 baby dill pickles for a snack, thinking that was good bc no calories...but when I figured out they equaled 1400 mg of sodium I was shocked! Just for a snack? Lol but I found really good low sodium pickles and I can have 3 of them for only 150mg.
    U have to be strict with ur self, but if ur like me and weigh ur self everyday, then it's worth it. Good luck on ur competition.
  • sola24
    Options
    It's just going to happen. Drink water and keep on keepin' on. I'm wondering though about this contest. Is it healthiest or most weight lost? Healthy to me would suggest body fat percentage rather than weight. Water weight isn't going to affect that.

Healthiest.. we were also getting points for attending aerobic classes.. and healthy cooking sessions.. so all those also counts..
  • sola24
    Options
    It's all about the salt! I haven't gained any water weight during my period since I started consuming only 1500 mg of sodium a day. For every 400mg of sodium u go over it equals 2lbs of water weight!
    I switched everything to low sodium foods. And stay away from carls jr....every item is loaded with like over 1000 mg in just a burger. I never looked at anything on a label bfr except calories. But Americans r taking in sooo much sodium it's crazy. U should stick to no more than 500mg in a meal. It's not easy.
    Canned soups also have lots of sodium and any kind of tomatoe sauce. I love pickles and can still have them thank goodness. I would eat 5 baby dill pickles for a snack, thinking that was good bc no calories...but when I figured out they equaled 1400 mg of sodium I was shocked! Just for a snack? Lol but I found really good low sodium pickles and I can have 3 of them for only 150mg.
    U have to be strict with ur self, but if ur like me and weigh ur self everyday, then it's worth it. Good luck on ur competition.

Lemme try staying away from processed food then. Problem is I stay as paying guest.. They homecook the food they provide, but cant really control the amount of salt they put in..
  • Symphony2010
    Symphony2010 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Then yeah. Just stay away from any canned or pre packaged food. Lunch meat has lots of sodium too.
  • Winter_Nights
    Winter_Nights Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Its water weight you are gaining, not weight from fat. They main way to prevent water weight is to reduce your salt consumption. Don't worry about gaining weight during your period, it just goes away :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Very low salt, very low carb and lots of water.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

I know many of you experience weight gain around that time of the month.. But is there any way to avoid it??

It's not a weight gain though, is it. It's not fat going back on. Let go of it! A hundred and one things that aren't fat make that needle dance about. Working the fat off is stressful enough without stressing about periods and water retention on top!
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I am in same boat right now I hate it. I get on the scale and I have to remind myself it will go away so I don't get discouraged.....stay strong!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I always gain 1-2 lbs a week or two before my period. I honestly don't even weigh myself anymore at that time, lol. I just lose all my weight for the month between my period and when I ovulate, pretty much.
  • melting_glass
    melting_glass Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm going through that right now too. I have intense cravings so I just picked a day when they were unbearable (yesterday) and I ate a bunch of junk. I worked out hard today. Also, try Vitatops if you have chocolate cravings. They're 100 calories and they're really satisfying. I guess just ignore the weight gain since it'll go back down after your period anyway. Or work out a bit extra? I heard you can burn more fat right before your period. I'm not a health expert though. I can tell you from experience that working out banishes cramps.